Garage Door Kit Issues

GaryK4

I had the same issue.  My fix was simple.  There is a "Query All" program under "Programs".  I simply unchecked "Enabled" on the right side, hit "Save Changes" and haven't had an issue since.  

I have mine setup to text me if the door is open for more than 15 minutes.

How important is this 3:00am Query All program?  Must be of some importance if UDI included this one and only program.

PhanTomiZ

How important is this 3:00am Query All program?  Must be of some importance if UDI included this one and only program.

PhanTomiZ

The program is there to ensure at least once a day the ISY Series Controller is updated with the latest status of the Insteon devices in your network.

You can certainly disable it if you believe your network is solid.

In my eyes this check up should be left in place as its the only means for the system to know the current status of your devices besides on reboot.

The check on reboot can also be disabled too but I wouldn't disable that either because there would be no fail over from that point on.

It really comes down to how comfortable you feel your network is in terms of reliability etc. 

99.9% of the time, this is the result of using the Trigger Reverse option on the IOLinc sensor. 

Trigger Reverse reverses the ON/Off commandes sent by the IOLinc sensor when the sensor input changes.  When On it sends Off and when Off it sends On.  However, when the IOLinc is directly queried, it returns the true sensor status (not the reversed status) making it look to the ISY that the sensor changed state.

Recheck the options and be sure to click the query button in the options dialog to ensure that you are seeing the current options as reflected by the IOLinc.  Also make sure the options screen is sized large enough to display all of the options.  Trigger Reverse is the bottom left option and can be hidden if the dialog is sized too small.

Hope this helps.

-Xathros

I've had my garage door scene working flawlessly now for a few months.  I was reading a post yesterday, an older one, and thought it would be a good time to add a program to close the door if it stays open for more than 10 minutes throughout the night.  It didn't get through the night and the door opened when the "Query All" program ran at 3am.  I'm up at 5am, anyway, so it was only open for 2 hours.  Camera installed in garage so no intruders...

You are correct in that my Trigger Reverse option is enabled on the IOLinc.  When I run the "Query all" or just "Query" for the device, it causes the IOLinc Sens to change from off to on, triggering the scene and then after 10 minutes opening the door.  

Is there an easy way around this with software or will I have to replace the sensor with a N.O. or N.C.;  opposite of what comes with the Insteon Garage Kit?

Thanks

PhanTomiz

BTW, my short term fix is to add my KPL Garage open button in the if statement, so as long as this button is on then the door will automatically close...

The program is there to ensure at least once a day the ISY Series Controller is updated with the latest status of the Insteon devices in your network.

You can certainly disable it if you believe your network is solid.

In my eyes this check up should be left in place as its the only means for the system to know the current status of your devices besides on reboot.

The check on reboot can also be disabled too but I wouldn't disable that either because there would be no fail over from that point on.

It really comes down to how comfortable you feel your network is in terms of reliability etc. 

I will keep mine there...Both...

Changing the sensor is by far the best option.

-Xathros

Do you have the link handy?

I've had my garage door scene working flawlessly now for a few months.  I was reading a post yesterday, an older one, and thought it would be a good time to add a program to close the door if it stays open for more than 10 minutes throughout the night.  It didn't get through the night and the door opened when the "Query All" program ran at 3am.  I'm up at 5am, anyway, so it was only open for 2 hours.  Camera installed in garage so no intruders...

You are correct in that my Trigger Reverse option is enabled on the IOLinc.  When I run the "Query all" or just "Query" for the device, it causes the IOLinc Sens to change from off to on, triggering the scene and then after 10 minutes opening the door.  

Is there an easy way around this with software or will I have to replace the sensor with a N.O. or N.C.;  opposite of what comes with the Insteon Garage Kit?

Thanks

PhanTomiz

BTW, my short term fix is to add my KPL Garage open button in the if statement, so as long as this button is on then the door will automatically close...

If the contact change indication is temporary couldn't one just insert the equivalent to a contact debounce rejection timer on the entrance to the closing program triggering?

If

contact open

and

contact not closed

then

Wait 45 seconds

Run program (if) door_is_open

else    /* cancels then wait

---    

or are these small sensors badly intermittent in wind rattling or too sensitive positioning?

If the query is triggering this a better contact sensor shouldn't correct the incorrect status change problem or is it a contact polarity change that resolves the query problem?

Larry-

The problem here is that the wrong type of reed switch is in use requiring the use of the "Trigger Reverse" option on the IOLinc.  Any query of the IOLinc will return the true state of the sensor rather than the "Trigger Reversed" state of the sensor thus flipping the state with the 3am query.  Appropriate solution is to swap the sensor and disable trigger reverse.

-Xathros

Played a little more with this and I believe I have it.  Please have a look and let me know if you see how this may not work correctly or if I missed a specific scenario...

Day and Night programs are the same except for time (only showing Daytime for simplicity)
Send notification 1 email telling me it's open
Wait 10 min
Send notification 2 email telling me it's closed
Beep Duration gives me some warning that the door is automatically closing

When 3am comes around and does a Query all, the Sensor changes state to on, but because I have my Garage Dr KPL is 100%, the door will not open during this time.  I do get an annoying text telling me that the door is closed (true state).  

When I activate the door during the day or night by either using the Garage Dr. KPL or my remote key fob or my built in garage door remote in my car or the garage door wired remote, the sensor stays in the on state, the relay toggles and the door opens.  After 10 minutes the door automatically closes and the sensor state goes back to the off state when the door is closed, until such time I either manually query the Scene or the Query all at 3am.  In any event, the door doesn't open with a query.

The text message sent gives me an accurate status of the garage door either open or closed....

PhanTomiZ

Garage Door Auto Close Day - [iD 002D][Parent 0030]

If
        From     6:00:00AM
        To      10:00:00PM (same day)
    And Status  'Garage / Devices / Garage DR - 2F.78.68-Sens' is On
    And Status  'Kitchen / Devices / Kitchen KPL-2B.99.69.1 / Kitchen KPL.H - Garage Dr KPL' is 100%

Then
        Send Notification to 'Default' content 'Default Subject'
        Wait  10 minutes and 5 seconds
        Send Notification to 'Default' content 'Default Subject'
        Set 'Garage / Devices / Garage DR - 2F.78.68-Sens' 1 (Beep Duration)
        Wait  5 seconds
        Set Scene 'Garage / Scenes / Garage Dr Opener' On

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Garage Door Status Send Text - [iD 0032][Parent 0030]

If
        Status  'Garage / Devices / Garage DR - 2F.78.68-Relay' is On
    And (
             Status  'Garage / Devices / Garage DR - 2F.78.68-Sens' is On
          Or Status  'Garage / Devices / Garage DR - 2F.78.68-Sens' is not Off
        )

Then
        Wait  3 seconds
        Send Notification to 'Text Message' content 'Garage Door Is Open'

Else
        Wait  3 seconds
        Send Notification to 'Text Message' content 'Garage Door is Closed'

Larry-

The problem here is that the wrong type of reed switch is in use requiring the use of the "Trigger Reverse" option on the IOLinc.  Any query of the IOLinc will return the true state of the sensor rather than the "Trigger Reversed" state of the sensor thus flipping the state with the 3am query.  Appropriate solution is to swap the sensor and disable trigger reverse.

-Xathros

Thanks but...

Why can the trigger reverse be eliminated and just reverse logic in the programming? This seems too simple and I know if you are sticking to your guns on this there will be some reason behind it. :)

I also see one of these in the future for myself, possibly.

Why can the trigger reverse be eliminated and just reverse logic in the programming?

I have not followed this thread in much detail, so I hope you forgive me if I am in left field here.  If, in fact, you are using programs exclusively triggered by your sensor, then you can absolutely reverse the logic.

The problems come more when there are scenes involved, coupled with the desire to have responder ON = OPEN.  With the sensor that is currently supplied, apparently this is reversed.

I have not followed this thread in much detail, so I hope you forgive me if I am in left field here.  If, in fact, you are using programs exclusively triggered by your sensor, then you can absolutely reverse the logic.

The problems come more when there are scenes involved, coupled with the desire to have responder ON = OPEN.  With the sensor that is currently supplied, apparently this is reversed.

Ahh...when we bypass ISY with a direct link between devices. That makes sense but I couldn't figure out why we would want a door sensor to directly control anything. Perhaps a light.

Thanks!

Archived