Replacing a PLM

wswartz

My PLM died two weeks ago and I ordered another.  Hooked up the new PLM, restored it from the ISY, seemed to work fine.  All of the devices show their status in the console, but most of the network isn't responding.  Turn on/off a device from the console but nothing happens.  Turn a light on/off but doesn't reflect in the console.  A few devices work, but aren't reliable. 

My network was rock solid before the PLM went out.  Is there a procedure I should be using to set the new PLM?

Thanks,

Bill

Bummer.

I would first try a second restore on the new PLM to rebuild its link tables. Be sure to do a factory reset on it first. [To do that, unplug it for a minute, hold the set button in while you plug it back in and wait for the long beep.] Then do a restore PLM from the ISY. This should go pretty quickly since the hardware address isn't changing and so the ISY knows (or thinks) it doesn't need to rewrite all the device PLM links.

Assuming that restore runs without errors, try a compare links with a few of your marginal devices to see if their link tables match up with what they should be. If not, do individual restores and see if that gets them working. That will show if the PLM is able to communicate.

If it still doesn't work, and we know the network itself was OK (you didn't change anything else, did you?) -- I'd suggest you might have a bad PLM. It happens. Get a warranty exchange and/or recap your old one if you are able to do that.

wswartz

Did you follow the Wiki instructions for replacing a PLM?

Remove power from ISY and old PLM.

Connect new PLM to ISY and plug in new PLM.

Power up ISY

Run File | Restore Modem (PLM)

If the ISY was not turned off before plugging in new PLM the ISY does not know the PLM has been replaced. 

Archived