insteon tstat-different screens on different tstats

If the second device blinks red, then it is not on the opposite leg. If it does not blink at all, then there is no RF communication between the devices. That does not mean that the devices are not communicating via the powerline.

But does that mean the no RF communication device, but communicating via the powerline should be RF'ing to the tstat next to it?

"If the second device is on the opposite leg of the split, single-phase electric supply , then it will blink green (or, on some devices, be solid white).

If the second device blinks red, then it is not on the opposite leg. If it does not blink at all, then there is no RF communication between the devices. That does not mean that the devices are not communicating via the powerline."

So if I have a switch that does not change color nor blink it means that it is on the opposite leg than the PLM and that it is not RF'ing to the PLM, right? 

"If the second device is on the opposite leg of the split, single-phase electric supply , then it will blink green (or, on some devices, be solid white).

If the second device blinks red, then it is not on the opposite leg. If it does not blink at all, then there is no RF communication between the devices. That does not mean that the devices are not communicating via the powerline."

So if I have a switch that does not change color nor blink it means that it is on the opposite leg than the PLM and that it is not RF'ing to the PLM, right? 

It doesn't tell you if its on the same phase or not. Simply that the beacon test could not be received by the receiver device. Only if the device turns red / green will you know if its same phase / opposite phase.

A device that does not reply indicates obstruction, weak signal, or failed to receive said signal.

OK I am stumped(still). 

I took the tstat off the wall and used a 30' piece of furnace wire to move the tstat 30' from the current location.  I can query on ISY and make changes and it always works.

I then hung the tstat right on the wires by the current location and it still works all the time!!!

I will continue to monitor with the tstat on the extension wire next to the original location and see what happens.

Well, in reading Xathros comment perhaps it is the orientation of the tstat on the wall.  It was hanging there, facing down, and working fine.   I reattached to the wall, with one screw, with the extension wire, in about the same original position and it works. 

Perhaps I should just shove all the wire into the hole and see what happens.

You will certainly see some devices showing a very directional RF propagation of signal. In a few installs I either had to change the orientation of the device (not easy for a TSTAT).

Or extend the antenna outside of the case.

I don't recommend this approach as being the first line for a solution. We did it because there was no other choice and in the big picture if done right it caused no harm what so ever. Modifying the original design goes with out saying voids any warranties and safety design limits imposed by the maker.

One unit was the Open / Close sensor we simply extended the antenna vertical from the PCB board and drilled a small hole for it to exit. This allowed more than 250 feet in range and it helped for a very directional install. 

NOTE: I would never suggest extending the antenna for a AC device. There is too much risk and hazards that can be seen by doing this. All of the antenna mods were done to battery operated devices to either resolve a range issue, or a directional issue.

Archived