ISY99 responding to wireless X10 signals via Elk / W800

madcodger

I have my ISY99 connected to my Elk M1G, which has a W800 wireless receiver connected to it. The W800 allows the Elk to make use of many X10 wireless motion sensors (the common Hawkeyes / Eagleyes) around the property. This works well EXCEPT when a sensor starts to lose battery power, has to have the batteries changed, or starts to otherwise go "bad". When this happens, which can be several times each year with many sensors in use, an X10 signal of A1 is transmitted. On the ISY, this corresponds to the "My Lighting" function, which controls ALL devices in the system. Thus, everything in the system turns on when this signal is received, and it's creating a big problem.

I have tried clearing everything out of the Elk's position A1, and that didn't work. Then, I tried editing the XML export file generated by the ISY, removing the My Lighting group, before uploading the file to the Elk. That doesn't seem to work, either. If an A1 signal is transmitted anywhere on my property, all the lights come on!

Is there anything that can be done to have these three devices coexist? The combination is fantastic as long as a sensor doesn't start to lose power, but that's just not realistic. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Hello madcodger,

We could possibly include an option in ELK configuration to ignore A1. This should be a stop-gap till ELK adds facilities to filter what is being sent to ISY.

With kind regards,

Michel

I have my ISY99 connected to my Elk M1G, which has a W800 wireless receiver connected to it. The W800 allows the Elk to make use of many X10 wireless motion sensors (the common Hawkeyes / Eagleyes) around the property. This works well EXCEPT when a sensor starts to lose battery power, has to have the batteries changed, or starts to otherwise go "bad". When this happens, which can be several times each year with many sensors in use, an X10 signal of A1 is transmitted. On the ISY, this corresponds to the "My Lighting" function, which controls ALL devices in the system. Thus, everything in the system turns on when this signal is received, and it's creating a big problem.

I have tried clearing everything out of the Elk's position A1, and that didn't work. Then, I tried editing the XML export file generated by the ISY, removing the My Lighting group, before uploading the file to the Elk. That doesn't seem to work, either. If an A1 signal is transmitted anywhere on my property, all the lights come on!

Is there anything that can be done to have these three devices coexist? The combination is fantastic as long as a sensor doesn't start to lose power, but that's just not realistic. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks, Michael. Also replied to your email. This would work, as would the idea of just eliminating the "All lights / My Lighting" function. Even better, IMO, would be the idea of having the ISY X10 addresses assignable on a per-device basis, by the user. If that were possible, it would allow users to 1) sort devices in the Elk much more easily and 2) allow one to avoid a specific address that was in use by, say, a neighbor.

Thanks for the replies, and please feel free to contact me via email if I can help test a fix.

Joe

Hi Joe,

Thanks so very much. The easiest fix/stopgap would be to give the user the ability to ignore A1 ... then, when we have more time (and with the help of ELK), we'll decide what would be the best possible solution and where it should reside.

Thanks for all your input and finding this issue,

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks, Michael. Also replied to your email. This would work, as would the idea of just eliminating the "All lights / My Lighting" function. Even better, IMO, would be the idea of having the ISY X10 addresses assignable on a per-device basis, by the user. If that were possible, it would allow users to 1) sort devices in the Elk much more easily and 2) allow one to avoid a specific address that was in use by, say, a neighbor.

Thanks for the replies, and please feel free to contact me via email if I can help test a fix.

Joe

Archived