Program audit log? Is there one?

WayneW

Is there an audit log of when ISY programs have run?  I know that the admin console displays the "last run time" and "last finish time", but I am looking for details of the previous program runs.  The log (UDReport.txt) doesn't seem to document programs run, just the scene and device executions, which can lead to speculation about which actual program executed the actual events.

Lacking a automatic log system, is there a way to "force" a comment/entry into the log (UDReport.txt) as a event line?  This would allow me to self document when key or suspicious programs have run.

BTW, this is investigation of another "all on" event last night.  This particular "all on" might have been triggered by multiple simultaneous programs, so I am trying to determine what got triggered when forensically to see if I can programmatically reduce the likelihood of this trigger happening again.  I know that this is not the root cause to all my "all on" events, but I am trying to prevent what I can.

Is there an audit log of when ISY programs have run?  I know that the admin console displays the "last run time" and "last finish time", but I am looking for details of the previous program runs.  The log (UDReport.txt) doesn't seem to document programs run, just the scene and device executions, which can lead to speculation about which actual program executed the actual events.

Lacking a automatic log system, is there a way to "force" a comment/entry into the log (UDReport.txt) as a event line?  This would allow me to self document when key or suspicious programs have run.

BTW, this is investigation of another "all on" event last night.  This particular "all on" might have been triggered by multiple simultaneous programs, so I am trying to determine what got triggered when forensically to see if I can programmatically reduce the likelihood of this trigger happening again.  I know that this is not the root cause to all my "all on" events, but I am trying to prevent what I can.

You have the error log and log files available.

Wayne

Program logging was recently added to ISY Logger. It creates a log entry by program id when the if conditions turn a program on, or when they are no longer true and turn it off . ISY Logger also logs variables that you pick, so you can track the variable changes and program execution together.

It creates its own text log, and/or feeds a syslog log. You'll need a desktop or raspberry pi to run the small executable that makes it work.

Paul

WayneW,

About what time did the all on occur?  What hardware/firmware version of the PLM are you using?

How many all on events have you had?, are they always in the evening hours? 

You have the error log and log files available.

Is that a question or a statement?

Yes, I have them available, but I cannot see anything in the that documents when programs are run, but maybe I am not reading them right or looking in the right place.

If that post was in regards to the "all on" aspect, then, no, I don't see anything in the logs related to the "all on".  The GUI showed devices as they were before the "all on" occurred.  Once I ran the "query all", the GUI much more accurately reflected the devices that were turned on.

Edited by WayneW

Program logging was recently added to ISY Logger. It creates a log entry by program id when the if conditions turn a program on, or when they are no longer true and turn it off . ISY Logger also logs variables that you pick, so you can track the variable changes and program execution together.

It creates its own text log, and/or feeds a syslog log. You'll need a desktop or raspberry pi to run the small executable that makes it work.

Thank You very much.  I had heard of ISYlogger and it was in the back of my mind for if/when I started doing more with variables.  But the ability to log programs will bump this way up my priority list.

About what time did the all on occur?  What hardware/firmware version of the PLM are you using?

How many all on events have you had?, are they always in the evening hours? 

previously:

02/07/2014 7:21 PM

03/03/2014 6:36 PM – garage entry

04/10/2014 7:53 PM – watching TV

08/14/2014 8:34 PM – garage entry

01/06/2015 7:17 PM – garage activity

994i v4.2.54 & 2413s  v9B  v1.B  1343

I do have one RemoteLinc, but nobody was near it in the majority of cases.  I do not have any Insteon motion sensors, Insteon thermostats or other Insteon battery devices.  I do have an Elk with the ISY module and hardwired motion or door activity does trigger some of my programs.  I am working on cleaning up the rules involving the hardwired garage doors, hardwired motion sensors, powerline only lights & KPLs to reduce signal collisions, but virtually nothing in the garage is RF.

Is that a question or a statement?

Yes, I have them available, but I cannot see anything in the that documents when programs are run, but maybe I am not reading them right or looking in the right place.

If that post was in regards to the "all on" aspect, then, no, I don't see anything in the logs related to the "all on".  The GUI showed devices as they were before the "all on" occurred.  Once I ran the "query all", the GUI much more accurately reflected the devices that were turned on.

I don't know where the rest of my reply went but it was much longer!  :?  I had indicated exactly what Paul did and guess when I hit save and the system was thinking about posting my reply it got cut off.  :|

WayneW

Thank you for the info.  Seems that most of the ALL ON events that users have been experiencing are taking place during the early evening hours when electrical loads are high and household appliances etc. are on. I've been focusing on the possibility of voltage fluctuations and/or noise in the power line as a possible culprit.  The fact that the ISY doesn't see the change in device status after an all on make me wonder if the PLM is sending and receiving the normal Insteon signal during the all on event.

The PLM you're using has been updated, the current release is rev 2.0, v9E which addressed an issue in the PLM power supply and possibly the all on issue.