Network issues - please help

homejones

Hello,

I submitted a support request a couple weeks ago, but did not hear back, so I am posting here.

I have an ISY-994i with Zwave and I am currently on 4.2.21. I am having periodic network related issues where it appears my ISY goes offline and is unable to communicate with my Elk nor can I access the admin panel. The problem is fixed nearly instantly if I unplug and replug the network cable on my ISY.

My network layout is: ISY > Switch > Router. THe ISY is assigned a static IP address from my router. My ISY config is setup with that static IP, UPNP is checked, and I use my ISP's DNS address. I have fiddled around with the network settings to see if something else was going on, but I can't figure it out.

See the attached screenshot of the error log that I downloaded right after this problem occurred today and after I unplugged/replugged my network cable. I also noticed that the unit lost network connection yesterday, but healed itself:

Also see attached a screenshot my syslog as soon as I discovered I had an issue. I could tell I had an issue because a KPL button is tied to an Elk Ouput and when I pressed the KPL button, the intended action did not occur (as you can see in the log). The last two entries occurred right after I unplugged and replugged the network cable.

Any help would be much appreciated - as it stands the system is not reliable with this issue. Thank you!

post-3080-0-55384100-1421623653_thumb.png

post-3080-0-17394500-1421623665_thumb.png

Hello,

I submitted a support request a couple weeks ago, but did not hear back, so I am posting here.

I have an ISY-994i with Zwave and I am currently on 4.2.21. I am having periodic network related issues where it appears my ISY goes offline and is unable to communicate with my Elk nor can I access the admin panel. The problem is fixed nearly instantly if I unplug and replug the network cable on my ISY.

My network layout is: ISY > Switch > Router. THe ISY is assigned a static IP address from my router. My ISY config is setup with that static IP, UPNP is checked, and I use my ISP's DNS address. I have fiddled around with the network settings to see if something else was going on, but I can't figure it out.

See the attached screenshot of the error log that I downloaded right after this problem occurred today and after I unplugged/replugged my network cable. I also noticed that the unit lost network connection yesterday, but healed itself:

Also see attached a screenshot my syslog as soon as I discovered I had an issue. I could tell I had an issue because a KPL button is tied to an Elk Ouput and when I pressed the KPL button, the intended action did not occur (as you can see in the log). The last two entries occurred right after I unplugged and replugged the network cable.

Any help would be much appreciated - as it stands the system is not reliable with this issue. Thank you!

Hi,

I had a similar network issue a while back.

Turned out I had a network rs-232 device which very seldom access the network, but I had assigned a static IP to it.

some time later I added another network device with a static IP. It worked fine for quite awhile but would very random loose its connection.

well dummy me assigned the same static IP to both devices and because the serial device so seldom used the network the problem did not appear right away.

I looked at the router error log and determined the IP Address Conflict.

Good Luck, intermittent problem can be real hair pullers. 

Don

A few points to consider and work with:

1. I agree with the previous suggestion for a potential for IP conflict. Unplug the ISY. Reboot your router. Wait a bit. Can you ping the IP of the ISY? If so, IP conflict. Or alternatively, set your ISY to another IP and see if the problem persists.

2. Is the device you're attempting to run the Admin Console on directly connected to the same switch as the ISY? On the same subnet?

3. Is the Elk connected to the same switch as the ISY? On the same subnet?

4. Can your computer you run the Admin Console on ping the Elk reliably?

Archived