Garage kit question

Blackbird

You'll need two I/O Lincs. Set the first one to latching mode and use the magnetic contact switch to control the I/O Linc. Depending on the magnetic contact switch, use either the NO or NC contacts of the first I/O Linc to interrupt the wiring between the second I/O Linc and the wall switch.

I don't use the word "impossible" lightly.  Ultimately, given enough skill and technical knowledge, someone can open your garage door remotely, with or without an IOLinc installed.  If you are looking for something such that it unlikely for someone to "accidentally" open the door remotely, then Stusviews solution, to me, is extremely creative.  If you are looking for protection for someone purposely trying to enter your house via insteon, having access to a cell phone or computer and your ISY, then this is more difficult.

Hmmm,  Both LeeG and I had replied to this thread yesterday but neither of our posts seem to be here now.  I will attempt to recreate what we had suggested:

I believe LeeG's suggestion was using the door status as part of a program condition and only activate the IOLinc relay if the door was already open.

Based on LeeG's suggestion, I recommended using a (second)  reed switch in series with the IOLinc relay such that when the door is closed, the circuit between the IOLinc and the opener is broken.  This way if the relay activates when the door is closed, nothing at all happens.

Hope this helps.

-Xathros

You'll need two I/O Lincs. Set the first one to latching mode and use the magnetic contact switch to control the I/O Linc. Depending on the magnetic contact switch, use either the NO or NC contacts of the first I/O Linc to interrupt the wiring between the second I/O Linc and the wall switch.

Or just have a NC magnetic switch directly interrupt the iolinc wires to the opener. No second iolinc needed. Same effect, the iolinc will only operate the opener when the mag switch is closed (door open). Less to fail this way.

The more I read this, the more I become suspicious that I don't understand what is trying to be accomplished.  The original post suggests a desire to limit one's ability to open "REMOTELY".  Does "REMOTELY" mean while away from home (on a cell phone, for example), or via any means other than the included remote control or wall button.  Does it meet the intent to completely disable the IOLinc's ability to open the door EVER, under any circumstances? 

I am sure I am just over thinking this.

Using a magnetic switch ti interrupt the I/O Linc wires disables the I/O Linc from opening the garage door. Using a second I/O Linc to interrupt the first I/O Linc wiring permits bypassing the disabling.

The more I read this, the more I become suspicious that I don't understand what is trying to be accomplished.  The original post suggests a desire to limit one's ability to open "REMOTELY".  Does "REMOTELY" mean while away from home (on a cell phone, for example), or via any means other than the included remote control or wall button.  Does it meet the intent to completely disable the IOLinc's ability to open the door EVER, under any circumstances? 

I can't speak to how others have done this task.

But, for me my security system interrupts both I/O Linc and the GDO. The GDO has its own solenoid which locks down the metal track on one side. While the alarm system locks down the other side of the metal track while armed.

This prevents both electronic and physically opening the door. Simply relying on a electronic method does not address the fact the door can still be open mechanically.

My method prevents both situations from happening.

While away on travel the above is enabled and a old school slider bar is put into place and locked with a pad lock. Four ballards are inserted so the door can't be breached by running a car into the door frame.

The more I read this, the more I become suspicious that I don't understand what is trying to be accomplished. The original post suggests a desire to limit one's ability to open "REMOTELY". Does "REMOTELY" mean while away from home (on a cell phone, for example), or via any means other than the included remote control or wall button. Does it meet the intent to completely disable the IOLinc's ability to open the door EVER, under any circumstances?

The way i read the initial post says he wanted to PREVENT opening via the IOLinc. But allow closing with the IOLinc.

-Xathros

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The way i read the initial post says he wanted to PREVENT opening via the IOLinc. But allow closing with the IOLinc.

-Xathros

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes that was my initial question. to prevent The isy (IOlinc) from opening the door, just the ability to close it

Then I must repeat me recommendation of adding another magnetic switch in series with the IOLinc relay to open the circuit when the door is closed.

-Xathros

Hmmm,  Both LeeG and I had replied to this thread yesterday but neither of our posts seem to be here now.  I will attempt to recreate what we had suggested:

I believe LeeG's suggestion was using the door status as part of a program condition and only activate the IOLinc relay if the door was already open.

Based on LeeG's suggestion, I recommended using a (second)  reed switch in series with the IOLinc relay such that when the door is closed, the circuit between the IOLinc and the opener is broken.  This way if the relay activates when the door is closed, nothing at all happens.

Hope this helps.

-Xathros

What is a reed switch?

It's the magnetically operated switches that you use to tell if the door is open or closed.  2 pieces - A magnet that you mount on the door and a reed switch that aligns with the magnet when the door is closed.  These come in both normally open (Circuit broken when next to the magnet) and Normally Closed (Circuit closed when next to magnet.)  I recommend a Normally open switch in series with the IOLinc relay and the door opener.  This way when the door is closed, the circuit to between the IOLinc and the Opener is broken and the IOLinc cannot make the door open even in the case of an insteon All On event.

The switch itself is a magnetically influenced spring reed sealed inside a glass tube: See http://www.reedswitchdevelopments.com/how-does-a-reed-switch-work.html

-Xathros

Archived