Lost comms to wireless switches

I had an issue that caused my medium sized system containing the ISY-994i IR Pro and your typical array of Insteon devices. I have been able to get everything back except my wireless devices, 2 hidden door sw's, motion detector, & open/closed switch. All of these devices were working fine for about 6 months but the system failure that recently occured took everything out. Not sure what the cause was but all devices and programming just stopped working. There were no faults on the ISY. Is there anyone there that has run into anything like this where they could not get the wireless units to re-establish comms. Also, I am running version 4.2.18 in the ISY.

What do you have to bridge the wireless devices to the power line?  Access points or dual band devices?  I and others have seen access points lock up or go bad.  Try power cycling whatever device you believe is used to receive the RF from the battery devices.

-Xathros

Is there a way to tell a wireless device to talk to a certain dual band device. I dont think my hidden door switches are talking to the closest switch link which is like two feet away.

What do you have to bridge the wireless devices to the power line?  Access points or dual band devices?  I and others have seen access points lock up or go bad.  Try power cycling whatever device you believe is used to receive the RF from the battery devices.

-Xathros

dual band.

No.. The wireless device broadcasts it's signal and any dual band device in range should pick them up and repeat them on the power line.

You can pull the air gap tab on that switchlinc wait ten seconds then restore it's power to see if that helps get comms back.

Do you have a phase bridge and have you confirmed it's operation with the 4 tap / beacon test?

-Xathros

No.. The wireless device broadcasts it's signal and any dual band device in range should pick them up and repeat them on the power line.

You can pull the air gap tab on that switchlinc wait ten seconds then restore it's power to see if that helps get comms back.

Do you have a phase bridge and have you confirmed it's operation with the 4 tap / beacon test?

-Xathros

I dont think I have a phase bridge since I've never heard of it unless its something I'm not aware of. It was my understanding that as long as you had dual band devices on both phases of my grid than everything should work ok......and it did for  6 months. I have not done the 4 tap test since all hard wired devices are working fine from the console through ISY.

-Xathros

Where exactly is this air gap tab, do i need to remove the switch to see it?

Where exactly is this air gap tab, do i need to remove the switch to see it?

At the bottom of each switch in the dead center is a clear plastic tab. Pull it out and wait (10) seconds then push in until its flush. Do not push it past the flush position and hold it.

Doing so will hard reset the device and clear any links, programming it had. The coupling / bridging information can be found in the 2413S PLM users guide and the AP / Range Extender full users manuals.

Once proper bridging / coupling is confirmed via the 4 tap (Beacon) test. Your next step is to confirm any noise makers / signal suckers that might be in the environment.

Anything operating in the 900 RF range like intercoms, baby monitors, old school cordless telephones etc.

NOTE: The 2413S PLM should be on its own dedicated circuit void of any electronic devices such as computers, UPS, game consoles, TV's, A/V equipment.

Some of the most persistent signal suckers are cell chargers and any type of wall wart.

At the bottom of each switch in the dead center is a clear plastic tab. Pull it out and wait (10) seconds then push in until its flush. Do not push it past the flush position and hold it.

Doing so will hard reset the device and clear any links, programming it had. The coupling / bridging information can be found in the 2413S PLM users guide and the AP / Range Extender full users manuals.

Once proper bridging / coupling is confirmed via the 4 tap (Beacon) test. Your next step is to confirm any noise makers / signal suckers that might be in the environment.

Anything operating in the 900 RF range like intercoms, baby monitors, old school cordless telephones etc.

NOTE: The 2413S PLM should be on its own dedicated circuit void of any electronic devices such as computers, UPS, game consoles, TV's, A/V equipment.

Some of the most persistent signal suckers are cell chargers and any type of wall wart.

My PLM is on the circuit with my PC and TV and cell charger.....etc however it has been since the system was installed 6 months ago with no issue. I do have a filter install though and all the above mentioned is going through the filter but I then have the PLM plugged into the unfiltered part of the filter. Is this a NO NO?

My PLM is on the circuit with my PC and TV and cell charger.....etc however it has been since the system was installed 6 months ago with no issue. I do have a filter install though and all the above mentioned is going through the filter but I then have the PLM plugged into the unfiltered part of the filter. Is this a NO NO?

This should be OK.

If the above fails, try File / Restore PLM.  How old is the PLM?

-Xathros

This should be OK.

If the above fails, try File / Restore PLM.  How old is the PLM?

-Xathros

Ok, tried that, still no difference. The PLM along with everything else I purchased about 6 months ago and has been working perfect until a few days ago. One other thing i just noticed is that my Scene names are "dulled out" under the "main' tab in the console. Its almost like they are disabled somehow.

Ok, tried that, still no difference. The PLM along with everything else I purchased about 6 months ago and has been working perfect until a few days ago. One other thing i just noticed is that my Scene names are "dulled out" under the "main' tab in the console. Its almost like they are disabled somehow.

How about a few screen shots for review along with your *Help -> About*. Once you do that, unplug the PLM wait for 10 seconds and plug it back in.

Afterwards reboot the ISY and report back. 

I was confirming your UI / Firmware were both at the same level which they are. I did not see anything that appears like its grayed out or disabled?

What happen after you unplugged the PLM and ISY reboot?

I was confirming your UI / Firmware were both at the same level which they are. I did not see anything that appears like its grayed out or disabled?

What happen after you unplugged the PLM and ISY reboot?

Still the same, I can control most devices from the console but programs still not working. I will try and get comms back to my back door sensor. Also, I cannot control the Outside Receptacle Front either for some reason. The more I dig into this the more i am finding.

By grayed out i mean the text looks darker than the default scene named "Auto DR"

Still the same, I can control most devices from the console but programs still not working. I will try and get comms back to my back door sensor. Also, I cannot control the Outside Receptacle Front either for some reason. The more I dig into this the more i am finding.

By grayed out i mean the text looks darker than the default scene named "Auto DR"

Your next step is to confirm bridging / coupling via the 4 tap beacon test I indicated above. The Auto DR for me is black and the scene are blue using the sandstone back ground.

Your next step is to confirm bridging / coupling via the 4 tap beacon test I indicated above. The Auto DR for me is black and the scene are blue using the sandstone back ground.

OK, no problem, never done that before, how exactly do i carry this out.

Also, my Auto DR is dark blue but my scenes are a light blue, I thought they were always dark blue as well but I could be mistaken. I do know I never changed any colors. Its worth noting though because it seems that the programs that are not working contain these scenes......the ones that are dull in color or grayed out.

Ok,

Of the switch linc's that are blinking (some are not) they are all blinking red and white. My two lamp modules are blinking green/red. My two appliance modules are not blinking at all. I have two switche linc's that are not blinking at all. I also have a smoke bridge that is not blinking. I guess the LED bulbs dont respond to this test.

Is the appliance linc the newer style that looks like the smoke bridge? If so move into another part of the home until its blinking green.

Its apparent you have little to no coupling at this point in time. I would ask you to quickly unplug the devices where the PLM is in and report back the same beacon test.

Is the appliance linc the newer style that looks like the smoke bridge? If so move into another part of the home until its blinking green.

Its apparent you have little to no coupling at this point in time. I would ask you to quickly unplug the devices where the PLM is in and report back the same beacon test.

I really cant unplug the devices where the PLM is as this is my desk where my printer, TV, apple TV, sat reciever, etc. is located. As mentioned earlier though these devices are filtered.

Also, can I just try moving the smoke bridge instead of the appliance module......will it serve the same purpose, just curious.

Archived