How can I remove old links that were done manually

Hello,

I had a professional installer install my initial Insteon devices and ISY99 about 5 years ago. During the initial install a 6 Button RemoteLinc and several 6 button keypad lincs were manually linked with various lamp lincs, appliance links and switch link dimmers. They were linked by holding down the button on the remotes/6 button keypad until it beeps and then hold down the button on the device you want to link to. For the past 3 or more years I only link devices now by writing a program or creating a scene. I have found it is much easier for me to makes changes and manage my system. I also upgraded my ISY99i to a 994i from Universal Devices since the ISY99i is no longer receiving updates.

At this point I have no idea what devices were linked that way (manually) but am looking for a way to remove those links that are no longer being used. Does anyone know of a way to first identify those links and 2nd remove them.

Thank you very much for all your help on this forum.

Jim

Software such as HousLinc can identify manual links. Or you can tediously attempt to observe what each button does.

Removing links is easier. Delete the device and then add it. Select "Remove existing links."

BTW, devices that are linked should use only scenes unless the links are conditional. Scenes write the links directly to the devices and thus are faster and do not require the ISY at all once created.

I would do what Stu is recommending. Once you create a few scenes and add a few devices, you'll get the hang of it. And the 'Remove existing links' as Stu suggested  makes sure that the old links are wiped out, which is important.

Start simple rather than doing all devices at once. If possible pick a small simple group of related devices, like a switch and lamp. Do that first to get the hang of it, and then move on to keypads and more complicated circuits with more devices. The more you do, the easier it gets.

When you're done, you'll know all devices are in a known state, and you'll be ready if you want to add/change/replace devices.

Or, factory reset the device then do a restore device from the ISY.  This will remove all links in the device then put back only what the ISY is aware of.  Best solution in my mind.

-Xathros

Archived