Outdoor motion detector

Envirogreen

I need an outdoor motion detector (battery) that will integrate with the ISY.

The idea is to use the motion detector to turn on outdoor lights based on certain rules.

I can only find the indoor instead motion detector and haven't seen any wave options (not sure if I have enough zwave nodes to support an outdoor wave module anyway.

Any suggestions on alternatives (I know I could go with Optex or something similar and attach to the Elk, but I'd have to pay someone to do this, and I'd prefer to avoid this path if possible).

Thank you 

Hi Envirogreen-

There is some confusion about the 2842-222 being "indoor only", that is not the case.  Insteon does not manufacture an "Indoor only" model of motion sensor.

The 2842-222 is an Indoor and Outdoor device, see the quick start guide snip, attached.

Though not required, its a good idea to have something over the top of it to protect it from sun and precipitation, as suggested by Blackbird. I would be careful about enclosing the sides as the 2842-222 has a very wide field of view and that could get blocked, depending on your application.

post-5496-0-68792400-1426863046_thumb.jpg

If this is for outdoor use and will be subject to cold weather than I highly suggest the use of Lithium batteries. If this is for an area where its really inaccessible than I would highly suggest you purchase the 9 volt power adaptor so battery changes will not be in your future.

Nothing is worse than to be climbing up a ladder when its -45'C, wind howling, in the dead of night. 

Unless it's also raining B)

I think they call rain at -45C with wind howling "light snow" up there in Canada.

-Xathros

From Wikipedia:

The Big Muddy Badlands in Saskatchewan, Canada  gained notoriety as a hideout for outlaws. There is a large badland area in Alberta, Canada, particularly in the valley of the Red Deer River where Dinosaur Provincial Park is located, as well as in Drumheller where The Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology is located.

Unless it's also raining B)

Sometimes its like being a postman. Threw snow, sleet, rain, the Insteon battery replacement must go threw! 

I think they call rain at -45C with wind howling "light snow" up there in Canada.

-Xathros

When its not light snow its -50 wind chill which at this point in time we all shrug off and call it *light breeze*

It says 'the badlands' as his location. Never saw that part of Ontario before.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Either have I . . .

From Wikipedia:

The Big Muddy Badlands in Saskatchewan, Canada  gained notoriety as a hideout for outlaws. There is a large badland area in Alberta, Canada, particularly in the valley of the Red Deer River where Dinosaur Provincial Park is located, as well as in Drumheller where The Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology is located.

You're getting pretty close! But, no cigar there folks . . .

I stopped worrying about my outdoor motion sensors after the thread here where the guy's device that got knocked off his mailbox by the snowplow, and stayed buried for several days, still worked.

I've got mine under the eaves, so sun and rain isn't a problem. Cold isn't really a problem. Occasionally it goes below freezing. Couple times a year maybe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I stopped worrying about my outdoor motion sensors after the thread here where the guy's device that got knocked off his mailbox by the snowplow, and stayed buried for several days, still worked.

I've got mine under the eaves, so sun and rain isn't a problem. Cold isn't really a problem. Occasionally it goes below freezing. Couple times a year maybe.

Mine's out in the open. It sees 100+ in the summer and -20s f in the winter. Its on a battery that is changed twice a year. One of those times is late September, no matter what the battery alarm reports. That makes sure there is a full charge at the start of winter.

Like Teken suggests, I put the best battery I can in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Archived