International PLM in the works.

Brian H

I saw this on the Smarthome Forums and the Insteon Forums.

A Beta user in Italy. Recently received a Serial Modem that sounds like it maybe on a HUB chassis.

The instructions where still from a HUB but it came with what sounds like the RJ45 to DB9 serial cable used by many of the Smarthome Modules.

It also has a different  part number. One that I have not seen before.

http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/insteon-products/insteon-hub/48657-insteon-serial-modem-2234-422

Modem means modulate / demodulate, digital to analog. What's being modulated/demodulated does not have to be in the audio frequencies.

In this case, its  modulating/demodulating powerline signals at 135mhz to a serial interface signal. 

I saw this on the Smarthome Forums and the Insteon Forums.

A Beta user in Italy. Recently received a Serial Modem that sounds like it maybe on a HUB chassis.

The instructions where still from a HUB but it came with what sounds like the RJ45 to DB9 serial cable used by many of the Smarthome Modules.

It also has a different  part number. One that I have not seen before.

http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/insteon-products/insteon-hub/48657-insteon-serial-modem-2234-422

I think that it makes sense.  Ultimately they will leave the existing PLM behind. Swapping the network card out of the Hub for a serial card "dumbs it down" from capability perspective; no webpage configuration, no smartphone apps, no connect.insteon.com. However, there are too many of us 'serial types' out there to ignore. I think it reveals that intent.

And there are performance challenges for the network hub too. Any external controller that would want to talk through it to the powerline has to use rest polling. That means when you turn a device on from your powerline, it will get to the network hub, the network hub will have the message, its held until the next poll. I got to see this first hand on Homeseer.

It sounds contradictory, but a serial connected HUB is 'faster' than its 10mb ET connected peer for network generated Insteon messages.

Modem means modulate / demodulate, digital to analog. What's being modulated/demodulated does not have to be in the audio frequencies.

In this case, its modulating/demodulating powerline signals at 135mhz to a serial interface signal.

I understand but by using such a simple definition a lot of things we use everyday can be considered a modem. The Note 3 I am using can be called a modem.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

In the big picture I don't care who offers the international PLM.

So long as the rest of the world can purchase a ISY Series Controller because a PLM is available is all I care about.

This new revenue stream will help UDI grow and offer more hardware / software features still on the drawing board.

Anyone not using 120/60 Hz at this time can't come out and play.

If only 1% of the other markets are able to purchase a ISY think how many millions of dollars that is?

In my mind this will directly translate to more resources and development for all of us.

That's a win in my books!

Ideals are peaceful - History is violent

I understand but by using such a simple definition a lot of things we use everyday can be considered a modem. The Note 3 I am using can be called a modem.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Your note 3 contains a modem, but it does much more than that so it's not called a modem.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The PLM {Power Line Modem}. Takes the digital information and converts it to 131.65KHz signals timed to the power line Zero Crossing. It also receives the 131.65KHz signals and converts them to digital messages. I would say that is modulating and demodulating.

Dual Band also does the same with a 915MHz RF signal.

Archived