How to get kpl to light up when motion turns on a switchlinc

Blackbird

I have a light at my parking stall outside.  I have the switchlinc (Parking Stall Light SW) in the garage that directly controls that light.  In the house I have an 8 button Keypad (Parking stall light KP B) that also turns on that light.  Outside at the parking stall I have a motion sensor (Parking Motion 5 -Sensor) that turns on the light as well.  All 3 are set as controllers and all 3 turn on the light fine.  The problem is, if the motion sensor turns on the light, it does not light up the keypad in the house.  I have tried the following program to get this to work.

If
        Status  'Parking Stall Light SW' is 100%

Then
        Set 'Parking stall light KP B' On 15 / Off 0 (Backlight Level)

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Also in regards to a previous post about an ALL ON event, I seem to remember reading that it was in relation to the combination between the keypad and the motion sensor.  Is this true and am I at risk of this setup?

Thanks

Blackbird,

What you have in your program is to adjust the backlight level of the Kpl, meaning how bright the light is. You cannot turn on a Kpl light directly. What you need to do is to create a scene "Kpl parking pad button" and add the Kpl button to the scene as a responder. In your program,

Then:

Set scene "Kpl parking pad button" on.

I would add else:

Set scene "Kpl parking pad button" off.

However I think we need to evaluate your set up with the motion sensor. How does the motion sensor turn on the light, by scene control or by a program. If the motion sensor, switch, and Kpl button are included in a scene as controllers then activation of the motion sensor should turn on the light and the Kpl button. If this is not happening then there may be a communication problem.

Regarding the all on issue, I am not sure they know what causes this although Michel did post in response to my inquiry regarding my one all on event that there is an issue with the motion sensor, a program or scene, and a Kpl button. I would have to check the all on thread for his exact response.

Eric

First, Backlight does not turn On/Off a Keypad button.   Backlight defines all the buttons intensity, not just the button identified in the Program.  If Backlight affected a single button it might be impossible to know which button was On and which button was Off because the Off level of one button could be the same as the On level of another button.

Is the ISY Scene definition 

Scene xxxx

Parking Stall Light Sw Red Controller

Parking Motion 5 -Sensor Red Controller

Parking stall light KP B Red Controller  

If Insteon comm is good a separate Program may not be necessary to manage Keypad button but that depends on whether the motion sensor is/should also turning the Scene Off and should the motion sensor turn the Parking Stall Light Sw Off.  Need more info as to what action the motion sensor should take regarding turning Stall Light Off

First, Backlight does not turn On/Off a Keypad button.   Backlight defines all the buttons intensity, not just the button identified in the Program.  If Backlight affected a single button it might be impossible to know which button was On and which button was Off because the Off level of one button could be the same as the On level of another button.

Is the ISY Scene definition 

Scene xxxx

Parking Stall Light Sw Red Controller

Parking Motion 5 -Sensor Red Controller

Parking stall light KP B Red Controller  

If Insteon comm is good a separate Program may not be necessary to manage Keypad button but that depends on whether the motion sensor is/should also turning the Scene Off and should the motion sensor turn the Parking Stall Light Sw Off.  Need more info as to what action the motion sensor should take regarding turning Stall Light Off

In my scene "Parking Stall Light"  I only have two controllers both in red "Parking Stall Light SW" and "Parking stall light KP B".   I did not add the motion sensor to the scene because I wanted to control the time the light stays on and I have a second program that sends notifications day or night.

Blackbird,

What you have in your program is to adjust the backlight level of the Kpl, meaning how bright the light is. You cannot turn on a Kpl light directly. What you need to do is to create a scene "Kpl parking pad button" and add the Kpl button to the scene as a responder. In your program,

Then:

Set scene "Kpl parking pad button" on.

I would add else:

Set scene "Kpl parking pad button" off.

However I think we need to evaluate your set up with the motion sensor. How does the motion sensor turn on the light, by scene control or by a program. If the motion sensor, switch, and Kpl button are included in a scene as controllers then activation of the motion sensor should turn on the light and the Kpl button. If this is not happening then there may be a communication problem.

Regarding the all on issue, I am not sure they know what causes this although Michel did post in response to my inquiry regarding my one all on event that there is an issue with the motion sensor, a program or scene, and a Kpl button. I would have to check the all on thread for his exact response.

Eric

I tried doing what you suggest but in the "in scene" if I choose "Parking stall light KP B" then my only option in "set"  is "parking Stall Light SW"

Blackbird,

I don't have acces to my admin console right now to post actual programs, but you are missing something. The then statement should be:

set scene "Kpl parking pad button" on

You should not be selecting adjust scene or in scene. This is provided you have created the scene with just the Kpl button as a responder.

Also take a look at a thread like this one:

http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/12824-how-to-program-an-insteon-motion-sensor/

You should consider setting the motion sensor to on only mode and make the on a controller of the "parking stall light" scene. The lights will respond more quickly to a scene rather than a program. Setting it up this way will make the lights and the Kpl button turn on in response to motion. You can then use a program to turn the lights off after a certain amount of time. You can continue to use the program to send notifications

See part C, number 6:http://adamsj.com/isy/programming.htm

E

Blackbird...in your original post, you state that "all three are set as controllers" yet in your response to LeeG, you stated that "you did not add the motion sensor to the scene because....". I am confused. Is the motion sensor a controller or is it not a controller? BTW, the motion sensor CAN be a controller while still having the ISY control the time the lights stay on. Just put the sensor in the mode that sends only ON commands.

If, in fact, the motion sensor is controller in the scene with the switch and keypad buttons, check responder levels of the keypad button when the motion sensor is controller. Is it set to zero? Make sure it is set to full ON.

If settings look otherwise good and you motion sensor is controller of the keypad button, and responder levels are good, then I would conclude a comm problem. I would attempt to solve this issue rather than get around it by adding a backup program layer.

Blackbird...in your original post, you state that "all three are set as controllers" yet in your response to LeeG, you stated that "you did not add the motion sensor to the scene because....". I am confused. Is the motion sensor a controller or is it not a controller? BTW, the motion sensor CAN be a controller while still having the ISY control the time the lights stay on. Just put the sensor in the mode that sends only ON commands.

If, in fact, the motion sensor is controller in the scene with the switch and keypad buttons, check responder levels of the keypad button when the motion sensor is controller. Is it set to zero? Make sure it is set to full ON.

If settings look otherwise good and you motion sensor is controller of the keypad button, and responder levels are good, then I would conclude a comm problem. I would attempt to solve this issue rather than get around it by adding a backup program layer.

My mistake.  I meant that all 3 control the light.

My mistake.  I meant that all 3 control the light.

Control it via a scene relationship, or via program?

Given what you have described so far, I think I would rely on a scene, with all three devices as a controller.  Set the motion sensor to ON only, and use a program to decide if and when to turn the lights off.  Of course, this approach would change if you have conditions under which you would not want the light to turn on when motion is sensed.

Archived