Unexplained operation of Insteon devices

Michaelco

I have had some of the outdoor lights coming on during the last two days.  Both this morning and yesterday morning, at 3:00 am.  This time period corresponds to the ISY Query, however, I only have three scenes I've set up, and any correlation to the ISY Query doesn't make sense.  Furthermore, the entrance gate showed a status of opening right after the ISY Query ran - there should be no connection between the ISY Query and the entrance gate opening, so this event doesn't make sense.  I've color coded three different events in the log entries (below) - I also attached the excerpt of the log because of format issues with the forum post.

Any insights, or suggestions would be appreciated.  I have changed the time the ISY Query fires off - from 3 AM to 8 AM, to reduce the risk of dear walking through the entrance - which is the primary reason we have enclosed the property.

History for :

Yesterday morning:

Driveway lights came on at 3 am - they were the only lights that came on

The only scene the driveway lights are associated with is "Scene OutDoor Path Light", which affects the following 4 sets of lights.

1) Driveway Lights

2) Entry Porch Lights

3) Garage Outside North

4) Garage Outside West

So, if the "Scene OutDoor Path Light" triggered, I would have expected more than the 5 driveway lamp posts to turn on.

This morning, was a different situation.  14 seconds after the ISY Query ran, the entrance gate status changed state.  This triggered the "Scene OutDoor Path Light" on, and the set of lights embedded in the sidewalk (Paver Lights) to turn on as well.  

5 minutes later, the GateIsOpenCloseIt program tries to close the gate without success - the GateIsOpenCloseIt program's objective is to ensure the gate is closed during the evening after 8 pm.

I haven't seen any explanation/reason for the gate opening at 3 am, but upon opening, I would have expected the path lights to come as they did - and stay on until the gate status changed to closed.

Quite baffling!  I am using the "sense" side of the Insteon 2450 I/O module to monitor the gate closed limit switch, and the normally open contact of the same module to open/close the gate. 

==================== Applicable portion of Logs ======================

Yesterday:

Scene:ISY

Status

Query

Tue 2015/04/21 03:00:00 AM

Program

Log

Driveway Lights

Status

100%

Tue 2015/04/21 03:00:13 AM

System

Log

Today:

Scene:ISY

Status

Query

Wed 2015/04/22 03:00:00 AM

Program

Log

The Gate Status

Status

100%

Wed 2015/04/22 03:00:14 AM

System

Log

Scene:Scene OutDoor Path Light

On

Wed 2015/04/22 03:00:15 AM

Program

Log

Garage Outside West

Status

100%

Wed 2015/04/22 03:00:16 AM

System

Log

Garage Outside North

Status

100%

System

Log

Entry Porch Light

Status

100%

System

Log

Driveway Lights

Status

100%

System

Log

Sidewalk Paver Lights

On

Program

Log

Sidewalk Paver Lights

Status

100%

Wed 2015/04/22 03:00:17 AM

System

Log

Gate Open-Close

Off

Wed 2015/04/22 03:05:15 AM

Program

Log

========================= End of logs =========================================

========= Referenced Programs ============

TempPathLightsOn

===========================================

If

Status  'The Gate Status' is not Off

Then

Set Scene 'Scene OutDoor Path Light' On

Run Program 'SidewalkLights Temp On' (If)

$intAllPathLightsAreOn  = 1

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

GateIsOpenCloseIt

=========================================== If

Status  'Gate Open Status' is On

And $sBetween8PmAnd5Am is 1

Then

Send Notification to 'TextMichael' content 'Closing Gate'

Send Notification to 'TextJane' content 'Closing Gate'

Wait  5 minutes 

Set 'Gate Open Control' Off

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Wait 5 minutes to close gate - in case coming home between 8 pm and 5 am - want to allow enough time to get through the gate before this gate keeper program closes the gate automatically

================== End of Referenced Programs ======================

UD Log.pdf

I find techman's question quite insightful.  Not sure I would have thought to ask that one.

How many other programs do you have?  While watching the admin console and program tab, details, what happens when you run (then path) the query program?  Do you see any other program activated?

Do you have "trigger reverse" checked under your IOLinc options, if so uncheck it as the query is changing its status.

You'll also need to change your program to "  Status  'The Gate Status' is ON

Thanks, for the suggestion that I verify the "Trigger Reverse" - it is still de-selected.

I forgot to say, the system has been running well, and the last programing changes I made was March 9th - and, in a different area.  Up until yesterday, it has behaved as I would have expected.  This morning, for whatever reason, the gate status changed state 14 seconds after the 3 am ISY Query was run.  And, the outdoor lights turned on (as they should if the gate status went to 100%).  I don't believe the "Status 'The Gate Status' is not off" is the reason the gate opened (or why the driveway lights came on yesterday).  If the code was "Status 'The Gate Status' is On" I would expect the lights to come on (as they did).

For me, the two mysteries are

1) Why the gate status changed state after the ISY Query this morning,

2) and why the Driveway lights came on after the ISY Query ran the day before.

When I ran the ISY Query 'Then' code this morning (11:03 am), nothing else ran - e.g., looking at the log, or the program list in the console.  The gate didn't open, nor did the driveway lights come on.  Maybe more data points will come tonight :~{

I find techman's question quite insightful.  Not sure I would have thought to ask that one.

How many other programs do you have?  While watching the admin console and program tab, details, what happens when you run (then path) the query program?  Do you see any other program activated?

I have 38 programs.  No other programs run when I execute the 'Then' section of code of the ISY Query - I don't "get it".

For what it's worth, no unusual behavior today - after, changing the ISY Query runtime to later in the morning.  

Any reasons not to update to the latest ISY firmware?  I held off updating, as I didn't have the time to deal with any issues that might have come up.

If there aren't any big issues with the latest version, I may go ahead and install - now that I'm somewhat back into the mindset.  I'd still wait a few days, to verify the two days were just an aberration.  

The latest Official release 4.2.30 is stable.  No reason not to upgrade ISY and download 4.2.30 Admin Console.

With Trigger Reverse not being used it sounds like comm to I/O Linc may be marginal.  Possibly something else is running/powered at the time making comm appear to be an issue.  Suggest issuing Query 4-5 times against the I/O Linc with the Event Viewer running at LEVEL 3.  Post the event trace to allow evaluation of the comm to that device.

Archived