Can control on/off switch from Scene but not Directly

Everything had been operating correctly for several months. I notice a routine that I have to turn off a light if left on past 35 min was not working.

In the ISY26, running 2.6.7, I saw that the local control for all of my Switchlinc dimmers (on the ISY were reversed). That is, the on level applied locally slider was at 0% and the ramp rate = 9 min. They were originally set so the on level = 100% and ramp rate = .1 sec. I went through and reset all of the controls.

Then for all of my Icon on/off switch and Switchlinc relay devices when I select the given switch it will not respond to the on command from the ISY - it does respond to the off command however.

All of the dimmers (ICON and Switchlink) work correctly.

So I created a scene with just one of the ICON on/off switches that I could not control from the ISY. There is nothing else in the scene and the ICON on/off is a responder. When I select the scene and click it on (on the ISY) the switch turns on correctly. Similarly it turns off correctly and the ISY reports the correct status.

I also have a couple of 3 way on/off switches. When I click on the load switch individually it does not respond to the on command sent by the ISY. However when I click on the scene with the switch, the ISY can control it correctly.

The other thing I noticed is that when I locally turn (at the switch) on one of the not working on/off switches the ISY does not see/report the state change.

This same scenario applies to all of my on/off switches (about 8 of them) spread throughout the house. Previously all worked as expected.

Here is some other weird behavior.

- I turn the on/off switch on via a scene

- ISY correctly reports status = on

- I now select just the switch and then click the on button (yes the on button)

- The light turns off and I can not control it any longer from the ISY when just the switch is selected.

If I go back to the scene I again can control the on/off switch

Any idea's?

Regards,

Doug

Hi Doug,

Yes, I think I know where the problem is:

Do a query on the problematic device and let me know if the query is successful and seamless. I suspect that you either have noise or PLM issues.

Have you had a power outage lately?

With kind regards,

Michel

Everything had been operating correctly for several months. I notice a routine that I have to turn off a light if left on past 35 min was not working.

In the ISY26, running 2.6.7, I saw that the local control for all of my Switchlinc dimmers (on the ISY were reversed). That is, the on level applied locally slider was at 0% and the ramp rate = 9 min. They were originally set so the on level = 100% and ramp rate = .1 sec. I went through and reset all of the controls.

Then for all of my Icon on/off switch and Switchlinc relay devices when I select the given switch it will not respond to the on command from the ISY - it does respond to the off command however.

All of the dimmers (ICON and Switchlink) work correctly.

So I created a scene with just one of the ICON on/off switches that I could not control from the ISY. There is nothing else in the scene and the ICON on/off is a responder. When I select the scene and click it on (on the ISY) the switch turns on correctly. Similarly it turns off correctly and the ISY reports the correct status.

I also have a couple of 3 way on/off switches. When I click on the load switch individually it does not respond to the on command sent by the ISY. However when I click on the scene with the switch, the ISY can control it correctly.

The other thing I noticed is that when I locally turn (at the switch) on one of the not working on/off switches the ISY does not see/report the state change.

This same scenario applies to all of my on/off switches (about 8 of them) spread throughout the house. Previously all worked as expected.

Here is some other weird behavior.

- I turn the on/off switch on via a scene

- ISY correctly reports status = on

- I now select just the switch and then click the on button (yes the on button)

- The light turns off and I can not control it any longer from the ISY when just the switch is selected.

If I go back to the scene I again can control the on/off switch

Any idea's?

Regards,

Doug

Michael:

Yes we have had a power outage recently.

I queried the problematic devices as suggested and they all work again!

Thank-you!

Would you mind explaining what you think happened and what the Query does?

Also any idea why the ramp rates and brightness sliders were reversed?

Doug

Hello Doug,

My pleasure! The reason the ramp rates/on levels were at those values was because ISY could NOT communicate with your devices. This usually has two causes:

1. Defective PLM

2. Noise on the line

If your PLM is of an older version, I strongly recommend 68 and above. As far as noise, you might want to have an eye on the system just to make sure you don't have any intermittent behavior. As soon as you do, this signals noise/communication problems. Alternatively, please checkout the log and search for -2 which indicates communications problems.

With kind regards,

Michael:

Yes we have had a power outage recently.

I queried the problematic devices as suggested and they all work again!

Thank-you!

Would you mind explaining what you think happened and what the Query does?

Also any idea why the ramp rates and brightness sliders were reversed?

Doug

Michael:

Since Sept 14 2008 I have ten -2 events in the log.

Except for one occurrence they are single events (only one entry) separated by a couple of days. If there was a general noise problem would I not expect to see communications to all of the misbehaving switches log a -2 (I have about 35 switches)?

What I saw was that all of the dimmers had the ramp rate and intensity setting reversed and ISY unable to turn on (I could turn off) on/off switches.

I will check the vintage of the PLM - however I purchased it about 4 months ago.

What does the query command do?

How does it differ from the program "Set Scene "My Lighting" Query" that runs every morning at 3AM?

They sound similar, if so, then why didn't the programmatic My Lighting Query automatically do what I did manually, per your guidance?

Regards,

Doug

Hello Doug,

Looking at the logs might provide you with some patterns (time/event related) which can then help you pinpoint noise issues. For instance:

1. Were the comm errors isolated to a few devices?

2. Were they at a specific time of day?

The manual query is equal to the one done at 3:00 AM. In all likelihood, had you waited long enough, the 3:00 AM query would've done the same exact thing. I truly suspect that your PLM is intermittent.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michael:

Since Sept 14 2008 I have ten -2 events in the log.

Except for one occurrence they are single events (only one entry) separated by a couple of days. If there was a general noise problem would I not expect to see communications to all of the misbehaving switches log a -2 (I have about 35 switches)?

What I saw was that all of the dimmers had the ramp rate and intensity setting reversed and ISY unable to turn on (I could turn off) on/off switches.

I will check the vintage of the PLM - however I purchased it about 4 months ago.

What does the query command do?

How does it differ from the program "Set Scene "My Lighting" Query" that runs every morning at 3AM?

They sound similar, if so, then why didn't the programmatic My Lighting Query automatically do what I did manually, per your guidance?

Regards,

Doug

Archived