Can't Get Scenes To Work

gadgetfreak

I just swapped out 10 Insteon switches for dual-band ones today (in addition to 2 new ones installed) and I am having a serious problem with scenes.

For the last 10 years I have had Basement Play 1 being an on-off switch set to a load (fluorescent lights) and Basement Play 2 being a "slave" (not connected to any load). They were both in a scene called Basement Play Room and were both controllers for that scene. Pressing either of the switches controlled the load as well as the other switch.

I just swapped both those switches out for dual-band ones and did the replace feature. The scene setup is identical. When you control the scene from the console, everything works fine. When you press on at switch #2, the console shows both switches are on but switch 1 is NOT on and the load didn't go on either. This is VERY peculiar.

Then, onto a more complicated one: I had new high-hats installed in my Living Room today (the load). They run to an 8-button keypadlinc (button A for load). Works fine. I have two existing lamplincs in my LR (Lamp 1 and Lamp 2). I created two new scenes called Lamp 1 Scene and Lamp 2 Scene. In Lamp 1 Scene I have Lamp 1 and button C - both controllers. Similar setup for Lamp 2 Scene. Buttons C and D work fine.

Then I wanted to make button B be an on-off for EVERY light in the LR. So I made a new scene call LR-ALL and I put buttons A, C, D, E, F, G, H, lamp 1 and lamp 2 all as responders and button B as a controller. I would assume that when I press button B all would go on and off. But it is NOT working. When I press off on button B, the two lamps go off but buttons C and D stay on. On the console, when I press B, it shows that everything is on. What could be happening?

This is getting me very aggravated. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

In the first scenario the links connecting the two switches did not get installed.

- Are you sure you used the correct switch as the controller and the other with the load as the responder?

- The Insteon commands from the switches can cause ISY to "think" the devices are on without actually operating them. Do a device query after operating to update to real statuses from the actual devices.

When you press on at switch #2, the console shows both switches are on but switch 1 is NOT on and the load didn't go on either. This is VERY peculiar.

When in the admin console, within the scene, click on controller switch 2.  What is the responder level for switch 1?  Is it zero?  Does it have a long ramp rate?

Then I wanted to make button B be an on-off for EVERY light in the LR. So I made a new scene call LR-ALL and I put buttons A, C, D, E, F, G, H, lamp 1 and lamp 2 all as responders and button B as a controller. I would assume that when I press button B all would go on and off.

I would assume the same thing.  Your scene sounds correct to me, so the only thing I can think of is that there may be a program ou there somewhere that is triggered from button B?

Thank you both so much for your responses. I am not sure what I did but I got it to work. For both the keypadlinc and basement playroom, I removed all devices from the scene, deleted the scene, queried, restored and wrote updates to all the individual devices, recreated the scene and added one device at a time back in. Both are working well now. Thanks again.

They were all brand new devices. But I hear what you are saying. I also wonder if a "reboot" of the ISY should be SOP when you do big installs like this.

That is the time (new) they need them. The factory fresh devices do weird thing that you or I could never make them do if we tried to.

Archived