Open/Close sensor - Bug?

Techman

The Heartbeat On occurred at 23 hours 51 minutes.   Working well.   I think for those who are using both Opened and Closed nodes at hardware v1.9 and earlier will be expecting that capability to continue with v1.B hardware.

The Heartbeat On occurred at 23 hours 51 minutes.   Working well.   I think for those who are using both Opened and Closed nodes at hardware v1.9 and earlier will be expecting that capability to continue with v1.B hardware.

but at least the dual signal heartbeat monitoring programs will work with either style of heartbeat. Users would never know the difference.

That is a great point.   I copied my hardware v1.B Heartbeat Program from another Program doing the same processing.  It does not matter that a Heartbeat Off message will not occur.

HeartbeatOCS3 - [iD 0090][Parent 0001]

If
        Control 'OpenClose3-Opened / OpenClose3-Heartbeat' is switched On
     Or Control 'OpenClose3-Opened / OpenClose3-Heartbeat' is switched Off - does not occur at hardware v1.B

Then
        Wait  25 hours 
        Send X10 'A11/On (3)'

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')
  • 1 month later...

I received an open/close sensor yest, will have to check the rev number. The box was sealed but I questioned if this was really a new device. I added it to the isy with add new device. It did add as an open/close sensor. There is not heartbeat node and the closed node never populates a status. Probably should have bought another hidden door sensor but didn't really want to drill the hole in this door frame. Drilling into the door was not an option.

However, for me this works fine. If you open the door at night to let the dog out, some spot lights turn on for 15 minutes. I put a real battery in it but will miss the low battery alerts I have received from my hidden door sensors.

I received an open/close sensor yest, will have to check the rev number. The box was sealed but I questioned if this was really a new device. I added it to the isy with add new device. It did add as an open/close sensor. There is not heartbeat node and the closed node never populates a status. Probably should have bought another hidden door sensor but didn't really want to drill the hole in this door frame. Drilling into the door was not an option.

However, for me this works fine. If you open the door at night to let the dog out, some spot lights turn on for 15 minutes. I put a real battery in it but will miss the low battery alerts I have received from my hidden door sensors.

Now you need an MS or another unit so you can tell which way the traffic flowed and cancel that 15 minute lights on when letting the dog back in. :)

Every battery operated device should have a heartbeat.

I received four brand new open-close sensors which I knew were older stock.

I was very pleased to see the heartbeat and jumpers still in place!

Your device must have been much older stock laying around.

98888f994aad1becf71be2ed23a62892.jpg

Ideals are peaceful - History is violent

EricK

Your v1.B hardware Open Close Sensor (without pins for physical Jumper) has both Heartbeat and the ability to use both Open and Close nodes.  Use Group Devices to bring all nodes together so heartbeat node is with the other nodes.  The use of both Open and Close nodes is now software controlled rather than the physical jumper.  It will require support added to Admin Console for v1.B hardware, firmware v.43.

EricK

Your v1.B hardware Open Close Sensor (without pins for physical Jumper) has both Heartbeat and the ability to use both Open and Close nodes.  Use Group Devices to bring all nodes together so heartbeat node is with the other nodes.  The use of both Open and Close nodes is now software controlled rather than the physical jumper.  It will require support added to Admin Console for v1.B hardware, firmware v.43.

Lee,

I removed the Door Sensor since it showed as a trigger linc and re-added it but manually selected the open/close sensor.  It still shows as a triggerlinc.  When I group devices I only have opened and closed nodes.  There is no heartbeat node, however, when I press and hold the set button to put it into linking mode, then press it again the LED flashes like it is in heartbeat mode.So it seems the function is there.  Not a big deal, I'll know immediately when the battery is dead  ISY ver 4.2.18.

Lee,

I removed the Door Sensor since it showed as a trigger linc and re-added it but manually selected the open/close sensor.  It still shows as a triggerlinc.  When I group devices I only have opened and closed nodes.  There is no heartbeat node, however, when I press and hold the set button to put it into linking mode, then press it again the LED flashes like it is in heartbeat mode.So it seems the function is there.  Not a big deal, I'll know immediately when the battery is dead  ISY ver 4.2.18.

EricK,

For the benefit of others can you state the hardware revision, production date, and the ISY firmware level. It should also be noted all of the Open-Close sensors continue to be referenced as a Trigger Linc. Pressing on the unit a second time I believe is to do a multi unlink.

EricK

You are back so far in ISY image that is likely why you do not have the heartbeat node. They do add as a TriggerLinc which is what the device was called before they switched to Open Close Sensor

I am usually slow to upgrade device firmware for anything as long as I have a stable functioning environment. I have been waiting for ver5 but may upgrade now. Thanks for the pic.
  • 10 months later...

Adding to this post, I have installed 2 Open/Close sensors. The first had a dead battery in less than 5 months. Within less than a month since installing a fresh battery I have received a low battery notice. Within about 2 months the other device is also reporting a low battery. The only thing I see that could cause this is the heartbeat stays on all the time. Thoughts? Perhaps the answer is in the foregoing, but if it is I missed it.

Adding to this post, I have installed 2 Open/Close sensors. The first had a dead battery in less than 5 months. Within less than a month since installing a fresh battery I have received a low battery notice. Within about 2 months the other device is also reporting a low battery. The only thing I see that could cause this is the heartbeat stays on all the time. Thoughts? Perhaps the answer is in the foregoing, but if it is I missed it.

1. What type of battery is being used and did you confirm they are fresh by measuring them with a DMM?

2. How often are the devices activated?

3. Have you hard reset the device to ensure they are in a OEM state?

4. If you trip the sensor does the LED flash only once and goes out quickly?

5. What is the hardware production date, revision, and ISY firmware listed for the product?

The batteries are Energizer Ultimate Lithium. Tested 1.75 volts in a replacement of the same group. The devices are 3415 REV 1.8. One device is only occasionally activated; there other was never activated during a 5 month period and went dead! My suspicion is that the batteries are being consumed rapidly because the heartbeat is constantly on. I have searched for a way to have the heartbeat only report once each 24 hours but there is no Options button as with the Hidden Door Sensors.

Yes, I have reset the devices.

#4 - No

ISY Firmware and UI" Both 4.3.26

There is no adjustment for Heartbeat frequency.    Simple enough to find out how often Heartbeat occurs.   Write a simple Program that sends a message for each Heartbeat.

AAA1 - [iD 0042][Parent 0001][Not Enabled]

If
        Control 'OpenClose3-Opened / OpenClose3-Heartbeat' is switched On
     Or Control 'OpenClose3-Opened / OpenClose3-Heartbeat' is switched Off

Then
  send text/email/etc

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

It is very unlikely Heartbeat is the issue.

The batteries are Energizer Ultimate Lithium. Tested 1.75 volts in a replacement of the same group. The devices are 3415 REV 1.8. One device is only occasionally activated; there other was never activated during a 5 month period and went dead! My suspicion is that the batteries are being consumed rapidly because the heartbeat is constantly on. I have searched for a way to have the heartbeat only report once each 24 hours but there is no Options button as with the Hidden Door Sensors.

Yes, I have reset the devices.

#4 - No

ISY Firmware and UI" Both 4.3.26

No, the LED doesn't simply flash once and turn off when it's opened / closed?

Perhaps a factory reset might help??

1) Remove battery and wait at least 15 seconds

2) Press and hold set button on Open/Close Sensor while reinstalling battery

3) Release set button when the status LED turns on

Open/Close Sensor status LED will stay on for about 4 seconds and then turn off

Techman: I have done that. Do you know if there is a way to set the time interval for the device to report heartbeat?

That option doesn't exist. The device heartbeat is preprogramed to be sent every 24 hours. (the hidden door sensor, 2845-222, does have the option to set the heartbeat interval)

If you're still having battery issues or if the heartbeat is being sent multiple times within a 24 hour period and the factory reset didn't help then you probably have a defective device.

Perhaps so, but doesn't it seem unlikely that both would be defective and behave in precisely the manner? Plus each is on a separate ISY.

The heartbeat node in both indicates that the heartbeat is always on. Unless, of course, the fact that it is always on does not mean the signal is being sent continuously.

That's correct. On means that that was the last command. A SwitchLinc, for example, does not continuously send an On signal when it's been turned on

Archived