ISY receives device status changes but unable to control device

My ISY has been having communication problems with my Insteon devices.  I have had Insteon setup for 5 years, migrated from 99i to 994i, still using the original dual band PLM from 2010.  For the last week, the ISY has been unable to turn devices on/off. If I try to turn a device on or off from the ISY java interface, I get a pop-up that says "Cannot Communicate with XXX, please check connections."  All the devices in my network get this error.  If I turn on/off device at the switch, and the status change shows up on the ISY java interface.  It seems that only outgoing commands from the ISY are affected. If I reboot the ISY from the java interface, the ISY can control all the devices normally.  But minutes to hours later, I get the communication error again.  Rebooting reliably restores ISY control of my devices, but the communication error consistently returns.

I have not tried replacing the PLM yet, it is the original dual band PLM from 2010 bundled with my 99i (now replaced with 994i).  During the communication problem period, I am able to check the PLM links table and counted 131. PLM status reads v92/connected. Means the PLM is still working, right?

I tried upgrading to 4.3.8 firmware, still having a period of normal function after reboot, followed by complete loss of communication again.

Any other ideas for troubleshooting?

A total of 131 link records is small.   How many Insteon devices are installed?  

Any Insteon traffic, in or out of PLM while listing link records will cause the link table count to be incorrect, too high or too low.   

A PLM of that age has capacitor failures that cause power issues.  SmartLabs has resolved this with the new v2.x hardware PLMs.  I would replace the PLM being sure to follow Wiki instructions.  Not powering down ISY and PLM, not powering up in the devices in the correct order will cause problems.  Take an ISY Backup before starting PLM replacement.  DO NOT DELETE PLM.

Wiki instructions  

http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:File_Menu#Replace_Modem_.28PLM.29 

I have about 25 devices: mostly switches with 2 keypadlincs, 2 EZFlora, and a few sensors.

I'll order the PLM and see if that fixes it

I'm just happy I programmed the built-in time limits on the EZFlora because last week comms got stuck in the middle of irrigation program.  So even though the ISY couldn't stop the irrigation, it automatically turned off when it timed out.

Archived