I/O Linc Support?

Brignolo

Hi Joe,

Yes, it will and the when depends on when we get all the problems resolved with i2 (it will be in 2.7).

With kind regards,

Michel

Will the ISY fully support the I/O linc 2450 (http://www.smarthome.com/2450/I-O-Linc-INSTEON-Low-Voltage-Contact-Closure-Interface-1-In-1-Out-/p.aspx) and if so when?

This product seems more in line with my garage door open/close/indicator application than the EZIO 2x4. What with the memory issues and all.

Joe

Hello dss,

Yes it can but it should be noted that in some cases the status of the LED on the KPL might not reflect the status in ISY (when there's noise).

With kind regards,

Michel

Will the ISY be able to be programed to query the status of the input of the I/O Linc and make sure the status matches a linked LED of a button on a Keypadlinc?
  • 3 months later...

I also just bought a 2450 IOLinc intending to use it as a high water level (clogged drain) monitor. (I can't use Smarthome's water sensor because this is in an outside stairwell that gets wet when it rains. Wet is OK, rising water is not). I connected the Sense and Ground to a normally open float switch. Now, when the switch closes, the 2450's LED lights, but that's it; the status shown for that device on my ISY-26 does not change, but continues to show 'Off'.

My question is: what do I need to do to force it to notify the ISY-26 of any change in its status? Do I have to first slave the 2450's internal relay to the sensor status? The relay is NOT set to follow the sensor right now.

Also, most of the options listed in the Options pop-up on the 2450 device page in my ISY-26 are a mystery; can anyone point me to a comprehensive explanation of what each feature does? -GA

Thanks, Rand. I set up the 2450 with the float switch to monitor an Achilles heel situation in my house where if the stairwell drain clogs, backed up water will come in under the door and flood the basement. With the IOLinc hardware in place, the next step is to reliably link it to some response - an alarm or a flashing light maybe; I haven't work that part out yet - so a reliable connection through the ISY is critical.

So, just to confirm that I understand your reply, the ISY *is* receiving the status changes - assuming they are not incidentally garbled or masked - but it's just not updating the display. Thus, I should be able to add code to the ISY-26 to link a flood event to a response and it should work, right? -GA

Rand, thanks for the example. I created a test program using your code (but with my IOLinc, of course) and with the Then statement set to turn on a SwitchLinc controlling the light over my workbench.

Nothing.

In fact, the Program Summary shows that the program has never run - its start and end time columns are blank. The IOLinc's LED illuminates when the float switch closes, so the sensor connection is good. It seems like either nothing is being sent out to the ISY, or the ISY isn't responding.

I guess this is an example of 'no good deed goes unpunished'.

Any further thoughts? I'm running v 2.7. -George Arthur

The IOLinc's LED illuminates when the float switch closes, so the sensor connection is good. It seems like either nothing is being sent out to the ISY, or the ISY isn't responding.

Yep, the LED goes on when I physically lift the float on the float switch and goes out when I drop it, and those are the correct responses. Thus, the IOLinc is absolutely sensing the external sensor's state, but as I said above, it seems like either nothing is being sent out to the ISY, or if the ISY *is* receiving the status packets from the IOLinc, it isn't doing anything with them.

Would it make sense to follow the Bill Gates approach and unlink the IOLinc from the ISY, reset it to its defaults, and then relink it? There is a low voltage yard lighting transformer next to it which has to be real RF noisy (and which I have since put a 4A FilterLinc on). Could it have somehow interfered with the IOLinc's correctly linking to the ISY in the first place? I think I recall that it tried unsuccessfully to link as an i2 device, then dropped back to i1. Or is that normal? -George

The IOLinc's LED illuminates when the float switch closes, so the sensor connection is good. It seems like either nothing is being sent out to the ISY, or the ISY isn't responding.

Oops.

Yep, the LED goes on when I physically lift the float on the float switch and goes out when I drop it, and those are the correct responses. Thus, the IOLinc is absolutely sensing the external sensor's state, but as I said above, it seems like either nothing is being sent out to the ISY, or if the ISY *is* receiving the status packets from the IOLinc, it isn't doing anything with them.

Would it make sense to follow the Bill Gates approach and unlink the IOLinc from the ISY, reset it to its defaults, and then relink it? There is a low voltage yard lighting transformer next to it which has to be real RF noisy (and which I have since put a 4A FilterLinc on). Could it have somehow interfered with the IOLinc's correctly linking to the ISY in the first place? I think I recall that it tried unsuccessfully to link as an i2 device, then dropped back to i1. Or is that normal? -George

Tapping the Set button should send On/Off commands to activate your program. Did you view the Smarthome thread I referred to?

Of course you can try Remove/Replace. I would include a Factory Reset on the IOLinc. To test can you plug the sensor into the same circuit as your PLM? That should rule out power line noise.

i1 mode is normal for the IOLinc.

Rand

Rand, thanks for your assistance. You can check this one off as 'closed'.

I went the Microsoft route: I unlinked the IOLinc, reset it to its defaults and then relinked it. Surprisingly, this worked. Having built & installed the sensor and with its programs (one for set and one for reset) now working, the remaining question is what it should do to attract attention: activate another IOLinc with a power supply and a buzzer? Right now I just have it set to turn on some lights. -GA

GA, good to read that it is working!

Why don't you have the program send a message to your phone? In the example program the State has to remain On for two minutes to avoid sending texts/mails with momentary changes, the same logic can be used in an Off program. Of course the delay can be adjusted to suit the environment.

Rand

activate another IOLinc with a power supply and a buzzer?

You could use the one IOLinc with the option Relay Follows Input or use the program to wait two minutes and then send an On to the IOLinc.

I fastened a buzzer to the cold air return on our furnace for a float in our sump pump well. You can hear that everywhere in the house :D

Rand

Archived