KPL button brighness

brianp6621

Using a new KPL out of the box (hardware v7.3), I added it to ISY.  Then did a Query and saw where Factory Reset value for LED Brightness is 05 (Off=0, On=5).   I set that same values using ISY and found KPL buttons maintained the same level of Off and On brightness as the original factory setting.  If that is not reproducible on your KPL suggest returning it for new unit.

Using a new KPL out of the box (hardware v7.3), I added it to ISY. Then did a Query and saw where Factory Reset value for LED Brightness is 05 (Off=0, On=5). I set that same values using ISY and found KPL buttons maintained the same level of Off and On brightness as the original factory setting. If that is not reproducible on your KPL suggest returning it for new unit.

I'm probably going to order another KPL soon to play with.

I have once again confirmed that doing a factory reset does not get back what I think was the initial off brightness of the buttons.

I see no difference in the off brightness from these states (in all cases the off buttons glow just ever so slightly but far less (I think) than when I had installed the KPL as new but never messed with the button brightness

KPL currently set to 0/15

KPL factory reset

KPL factory reset and then restored

So unless I am completely misremembering the original off brightness (need to buy a new KPL of same hardware rev to confirm), then on my rev of the KPL, it comes with a brightness of the off state (that is bright enough to be useful but not so bright as to be mistaken for on during daylight which is what an off brightness of 1 gets me) that once modified can never be recovered. It is like there is an initial programming state that can not be recovered through reset or ISY programming.

I have yet to try the HL2 software which will be my next step before I buy a new KPL.

Unless the LED Brightness was adjusted before the Restore Device the Factory Reset did nothing long term as the Restore Device changed it back to what was set through Admin Console.

Up until these latest KPLs all KPLs over the last ten years came with a setting that had Off state buttons as dim and On state buttons brighter.  The buttons were clearly visible in both states during daylight conditions.   What you are seeing now (before altering through Admin Console) would be considered an exception by previous KPLs.

My KPL out of the box was/is set to 0/5, not 0/15.  

Unless the LED Brightness was adjusted before the Restore Device the Factory Reset did nothing long term as the Restore Device changed it back to what was set through Admin Console.

Up until these latest KPLs all KPLs over the last ten years came with a setting that had Off state buttons as dim and On state buttons brighter. The buttons were clearly visible in both states during daylight conditions. What you are seeing now (before altering through Admin Console) would be considered an exception by previous KPLs.

My KPL out of the box was/is set to 0/5, not 0/15.

I know the restore overwrites the factory reset however, before and after the restore are both the same for me.

I do have the off state as being dim, just much dimmer than I remember. In a pitch black room can you read the buttons on a KPL with all buttons off?

And what I meant with off set to 1 is that the off brightness is so bright that it can be seen as lit during full daylight, and if there is no button in the ON state to compare to, you can easily mistake the lights for being ON.

I have no problem knowing which buttons are Off or On. All my KPLs are set to the same LED Brightness values. If one KPL has the Off buttons set to the same brightness as On buttons on another KPL then the KPLs are poorly configured.

If you perception is that keen (meant as a compliment), then you'll have to put in some─or a lot of─extra effort which, fortunately, the ISY allows. Use programs to change the LED brightness based on time-of-day or a button press.

I have no problem knowing which buttons are Off or On. All my KPLs are set to the same LED Brightness values. If one KPL has the Off buttons set to the same brightness as On buttons on another KPL then the KPLs are poorly configured.

I'm not talking about different KPLs being configured differently. I'm talking about a change in behavior before and after I started messing with brightness on the KPLs.

Maybe my 7.4s are acting different than previous versions.

Let me put it this way. Right after I adjusted the backlight to 1/15, in the middle of the day my son went around and started trying to "turn off" all they lights because he thought the KPLs were showing all lights on. He was used to the way they used to look before I started messing with them.

If you perception is that keen (meant as a compliment), then you'll have to put in some─or a lot of─extra effort which, fortunately, the ISY allows. Use programs to change the LED brightness based on time-of-day or a button press.

actually that's a great idea. Why can't I have a simple program that during the day sets then to 0/15 and at night to 1/15. This way I don't get the excessive back light during the day but get plenty of backlight and button readability at night.

I use two programs to do this based on how many MS units have reported it being dark. Note I use a lot of time delays between brightness changes as these types of operations tie my ISY communications up and prevent other operations for a long time.

These two programs could be combined into one using Then and Else and run from one time frame condition such as

If

From sunrise + 10 minutes

To   sunset - 10 minutes

Then

Set SwitchLinc LEDs Bright - [ID 0027][Parent 0036]

If
        $sHouse.Dark.Count < $cHOUSE.DARK_THESHOLD

Then
        Wait  5 seconds
        Set 'Gathering Room / PotLight over Table' 20% (Backlight Level)
        Wait  5 seconds
        Set 'Gathering Room / PotLights over Chairs' 20% (Backlight Level)
        Wait  5 seconds
        Set 'Dining Room / Dining Table' 23% (Backlight Level)
        Wait  5 seconds
        Set 'Gathering Room / PotLight over Desk' 15% (Backlight Level)
        Wait  5 seconds
        Set 'Foyer / Front Porch Lights' 15% (Backlight Level)
        Wait  5 seconds
        Set 'PotLights over TV' 15% (Backlight Level)
        Wait  5 seconds
        Set 'Mudroom / MudRm Potlights' On 12 / Off 2 (Backlight Level)
        Run Program 'Set SwitchLinc LEDs Dim' (Else Path)

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Set SwitchLinc LEDs Dim - [ID 0007][Parent 0036]

If
        $sHouse.Dark.Count > $cHOUSE.DARK_THESHOLD

Then
        Wait  5 seconds
        Set 'Gathering Room / PotLight over Table' 5% (Backlight Level)
        Wait  5 seconds
        Set 'Gathering Room / PotLights over Chairs' 7% (Backlight Level)
        Wait  5 seconds
        Set 'Dining Room / Dining Table' 8% (Backlight Level)
        Wait  5 seconds
        Set 'Gathering Room / PotLight over Desk' 5% (Backlight Level)
        Wait  5 seconds
        Set 'Foyer / Front Porch Lights' 5% (Backlight Level)
        Wait  5 seconds
        Set 'PotLights over TV' 5% (Backlight Level)
        Wait  5 seconds
        Set 'Mudroom / MudRm Potlights' On  7 / Off 2 (Backlight Level)
        Run Program 'Set SwitchLinc LEDs Bright' (Else Path)

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

"Right after I adjusted the backlight to 1/15, in the middle of the day my son went around and started trying to "turn off" all they lights because he thought the KPLs were showing all lights on. He was used to the way they used to look before I started messing with them. "

Thanks, now I understand the problem.

Will be interesting to see how long it takes to acclimate folks to some times the Off buttons are dark when Off and some times they are illuminated when Off. 

Archived