Clicking noise from alarm horn

mitch236

I've noticed my alarm siren horn clicks randomly all the time.  I've narrowed it down to the "bursts" of information being communicated between the ISY and my devices.  Is there a filter that I can install on my alarm that will filter out these?

Thanks

My first thought is induced noise from 120 VAC lines. If power wires are crossed with low voltage signal cables this can cause noise this is why they must be either spaced apart properly or run perpendicular to other 120 VAC wiring. Using shield cable is also another method used to avoid noise etc.

If none of the above is true the most common problem is poor grounding. The siren in an alarm panel is normally powered by the system unless the bell limit is exceeded. In those cases a relay or a dedicated PSU drives the siren / speaker.

Do you actually have a siren opposed to a speaker?

Where exactly is this siren / speaker located in your home that you can hear the Insteon traffic?

Thanks for the replies.  The horn is actually a speaker and it is mounted in the main family room.  The alarm panel is located elsewhere.  I was thinking there was a device that I could install inline with the alarm's power that would filter out the Insteon traffic.   I'm sure the installation is suspect but it would require a lot of labor to reinstall the alarm (unless I relocate the speaker to where the alarm panel is mounted).  I assume you don't want the alarm speaker next to the alarm panel as that would let the intruder know where the panel is located?

Thanks for the replies.  The horn is actually a speaker and it is mounted in the main family room.  The alarm panel is located elsewhere.  I was thinking there was a device that I could install inline with the alarm's power that would filter out the Insteon traffic.   I'm sure the installation is suspect but it would require a lot of labor to reinstall the alarm (unless I relocate the speaker to where the alarm panel is mounted).  I assume you don't want the alarm speaker next to the alarm panel as that would let the intruder know where the panel is located?

Well, normally the speaker / siren is installed in the HVAC air return baffle. Doing so allows sound penetration to spread through out the home with out issue.

As is with most *drill & run* installs you normally see the speaker / siren mounted right next to the alarm panel in a closet or in the basement. Which really does you no favors in terms of thief disabling the noise maker.

A supplemental siren / speaker is not something you see very often in basic installs or even considered by 99% of the population. These units are normally mounted high up in the attic space of the attached garage rafters. This is done to insure everyone outside can hear the alarm condition from many blocks, to miles depending on wind direction etc.

If you have access to the wiring to the siren I would suggest you first look at the panel and verify all connections are tight and sound. See how the system is grounded if at all as most systems use a floating ground internally shunted by the use of the telephone POTS.

If its not tied to the POTS because there is no land line most installers will simply not ground the unit at all. The PSU that powers the alarm panel is 9X of 10 used as the method for grounding.

What is the alarm panel model, brand, device number?

Archived