Panic's StatusBoard

builderb

I've been searching for a while now for both a home-status-at-a-glance solution, as well as a way to graph the temperature data I've been accumulating in the MySQL database that holds the info from my 1-Wire temperature network. For a while now, I've had a very rudimentary web page that can spit out the last X hours of temperatures, or show MIN/MAX values. But I've been wanting a way to display that data in a live-updating graph. I tried a couple things already, but was not able to get them to work, likely due to my own lack of experience. However, I just found a really slick solution for my iPad.

https://www.panic.com/statusboard/

Panic makes great software for OS X and iOS. I use Prompt as an SSH client from my phone or tablet. It's pretty amazing what I've been able to do on some remote servers from random locations with just a phone.

So, anyway, StatusBoard just got a big update, and I've been playing with it for a week or so now. You can toy around with it for free, but to get the good stuff, you have to pony up $9.99. That unlocks the more customizable panels, including graphing, charts, html code, countdown timers, custom text, and pictures. By creating a file for my web server, I was able to take the MySQL data from my database, format it via PHP into a JSON payload that StatusBoard interprets into a graph. I've got a page set up now that can plot three of my temperature sensors against each other, and update itself regularly. It's set to display the previous 24 hours of data right now, but it can show any length you want. If anyone is interested, I can post the code I cobbled together to get it to work. Let's just say I learned a bit about arrays and nesting. 

I've got my temperature graph running full screen right now, but you can display it smaller and tile different things on the same page too. A clock, weather info, and some other built in things. But it can also render custom web pages, and those can be interactive. That's the next thing I want to play with. I'm thinking I can create custom action buttons, or maybe an interactive floor plan.

Oh, and you can both format for, and push to, a connected HDTV. I have yet to try that, but it could be interesting too.

But for now, this graphing thing is pretty cool. It's really nice to see the information visually, it's so much easier to grasp what's going on. When I retire this iPad, I will likely mount it to the wall so it can become a full-time status display. 

Looks interesting - thanks for sharing. How much work does it take to create these graphs? Also what sensors are you using to get the temperatures in each area?

Once you get the PHP code in place on a web server, the graphs create themselves, and update at any interval you specify. The code itself is very repetitive, so it's not too difficult once you grasp the structure of it. The tough part was figuring out how to structure the queries, and how to assemble the arrays properly for the json_encode command, but I've got all that info now.

I'm using a Raspberry Pi with a 1- Wire temperature sensor network for this. My sensors get polled every minute, and the data sent to a MYSQL database. The PHP code makes several queries of this database, then formats it all into a JSON payload that StatusBoard can interpret. Status Board gets pointed to the proper URL, and it's all automatic from there.

It's really cool how much more informative the information is in graph form. And the near-instant response is amazing. Open a window, watch the curve bend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was not familiar with them. Plus I host all this stuff myself. I'm ultimately looking to get Cacti going, but this will do nicely in the meantime. The ability to tile custom web pages makes it pretty powerful for a novice to use. If you can make web pages, you can make this thing into a pretty easy custom display and or interface.

Was there any particular reason you have not tried the same using the free hosting site of Smart Energy Groups (SEG). Which does not require any other resources besides the ISY Series Controller?

@Teken do you have a link to the SEG page so I can look at it? I am thinking of hiding some type of sensors in rooms to monitor temperature then graph the data. My goal is to equalize the upstairs and downstairs rooms to be as close in temperature as possible in all the rooms.

@Teken do you have a link to the SEG page so I can look at it? I am thinking of hiding some type of sensors in rooms to monitor temperature then graph the data. My goal is to equalize the upstairs and downstairs rooms to be as close in temperature as possible in all the rooms.

This is a set up guide I created to help those use almost any 3rd party device which connects to the ISY Series Controller. Using the ISY this data can be relayed to SEG for graphing, charts, dials, widgets etc.

http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/16095-autelis-bridge-pushing-data-to-smart-energy-groups-seg-guide/

The service is free and offer many widgets to track data and can be rendered in many ways. This compliments a on site data server if you wish but also provides redundancy of the same.

Some benefits are you can use this site if you wish to share, publish, your data while not giving access to your local data server etc assuming one exists. I wrote this *How To* because the service was not well known and no one had integrated it with the ISY before.

So, if you have a Autelis Bridge, Web Control, RPi, what ever device that pushed state variables to the system. You can now push that data to the cloud so it can be aggregated, tracked, and historic review can be done. 

Thanks for the info Im going to look into it. But $130 for a one wire temperature monitor!? Are you nuts?! ;) Maybe the tile (or something else) can do the same thing but cheaper? Otherwise I dont think my ROI would be worth it.

I don't follow what you're saying or asking? 

I thought you wanted to know how to push your existing 1 wire temps to SEG? The link provided explains how to do this and does not require you to purchase anything to do so. I thought you had an existing system in place if not you can choose what ever meets your finances or needs.

The reference to the Autelis Bridge was primarily to illustrate how its done with this box etc. With respect to the Autelis Bridge its one of the best plug and play devices on the market that does not require months of learning or fiddling. There are lots of options on the market for sure but none of them are plug and go, none. 

What I want is to of hide some type of temperature sensors (cheap) in rooms to monitor temperature, then graph the data. My goal is to equalize the upstairs and downstairs rooms to be as close in temperature as possible in all the rooms. Some rooms I may need to close the vents and others open them fully so there is a constant temperature throughout the whole house. In the end saving energy so I am not over/under cooling or heating rooms.

What I want is to of hide some type of temperature sensors (cheap) in rooms to monitor temperature, then graph the data. My goal is to equalize the upstairs and downstairs rooms to be as close in temperature as possible in all the rooms. Some rooms I may need to close the vents and others open them fully so there is a constant temperature throughout the whole house. In the end saving energy so I am not over/under cooling or heating rooms.

There are a few battery operated tags I have seen mentioned here and abroad. MWareman uses one kind right now and its linked to word press or IFTT I don't recall. Consider the initial cost for these sensors range from $25-35 a piece you're lower in cost initially for sure when compared to a Autelis Bridge.

But you will never have the accuracy, reliability, of a 1 wire system.

Long term costs for batteries will start to eat away any initial savings you thought you had over a hardware solution. Using a RPi offers more uses as it can be retasked to accomplish more like say a node server?

Even going with a web control board again offers more options than just temperature monitoring. All I am saying is if all you want is to get a general sense you can buy anything that suites your needs. For me ROI is a very small part of all of this and sometimes it just doesn't equal out.

Consider you and I are doing things that are really just nice to haves. If we both wanted to be stingy we would just leave it all alone and set the TSTAT and walk away.

We don't . . .

Because we know we can do better and in doing so will invest time, effort, and finances to accomplish those goals. 

Back On Topic: The listed guide will help you send what ever temperature device you decide upon and relay it to SEG.

MWareman uses one kind right now and its linked to word press or IFTT I don't recall. Consider the initial cost for these sensors range from $25-35 a piece you're lower in cost initially for sure when compared to a Autelis Bridge.

Yep. CAO Tag (I have 10 now) => CAO Tag Manager => ISY State Variable => SEG

Only the SEG step is Cloud - everything else local. The tags report temp and humidity - but with an accuracy somewhat lower than 1-wire sensors. Also, I get temp every 15 mins. You can configure this - but more often = much greater battery usage on the tags. Every 15 mins seems to last about 18 months. I have a writeup on here somewhere - I'll try and find it later.

The RPi solution I'm using is a little bit of an up-front investment, but having made that investment, it's now expandable for next to nothing. You'll be out about $100 (~$65 for the Pi including power supply, sd card, case and ~$35 for the 1-Wire controller). Sensors are ~$1 each, and you need some UTP cable. A soldering iron or crimp tool helps, but you can use wire connectors that are super cheap too.

I prefer going that route because my Pi runs the MySQL database that holds my temperature data, and a web server too. The combined cost is much lower than anything else I could come up with, and my data never needs to leave my LAN. Plus, it's been a good way to force myself to figure out how to do some of this stuff. As a code N00B, I was pretty lost when I started. Learning new stuff is cool.

I also cannot second the comment about reliability, accuracy, and response time of the 1-Wire sensors enough. These things are amazing. I turn on the range in the kitchen, the graph spikes within seconds. Open a door or window, and it drops or spikes depending on the temperature differential. I have a Nest thermostat on the wall about 8' from my living room sensor, and the reported temperatures from both are always in sync. The exterior one tracks almost perfectly with my neighbor's outdoor thermometer. They're just a really good way to go for temperature sensing.

• 6 months later...

Well, I'm another step on the way to Cacti. I managed to get my .rrd file set up, and graph my temperature sensors using rrdtool. The 24 hour plot seems to be working well so far. I'll have to see in a few days how the 7 and 30 day plots look.

post-5595-14566280261523_thumb.jpg

Archived