8 button kpl not working

iowaj

After a recent power outage, I have slowly been working thru issues this caused with some of our switches.  We have an 8 button KPL (2486D v.29) that seemed dead after the outage.  However, after shutting down power to the switch and turning back on seems to have brought power back to the switch. Now though it is acting as a 6 button switch instead of an 8 button switch and none of the buttons seem to control anything.  How can I restore it to an 8 button switch and restore all the buttons to control what they were previously linked to?  Thanks!

A KPL can be configured as a 6 button or 8 button device. The KPL User Guide describes how to switch from 6 button mode to 8 button mode.

After the KPL has been set to 8 button mode, right click on primary node and select Restore Device to restore the missing link records.

Configure For Six or Eight Button Operation

• To change your six button KeypadLinc to eight button mode, attach the eight button plate to KeypadLinc Dimmer. Gently pull the Set Button at the bottom of the switch out as far as it will go (about 1/8”) and wait 10 seconds. While simultaneously holding the “On/OFF” button (upper leftmost button) and “H” button (lower right-most button), push the Set button back in flush to trim frame. After two seconds, release the buttons. KeypadLinc Dimmer is now operating in eight button mode.

• If KeypadLinc Dimmer is to be changed from eight button to six button configuration, replace the eight button plate with the six button plate. Gently pull the Set Button at the bottom of the switch out as far as it will go (about 1/8”), and wait 10 seconds. While simultaneously holding the On and Off buttons, push the Set button back in flush to trim frame. After two seconds, release the buttons. KeypadLinc Dimmer is now operating in six button mode.

After a recent power outage, I have slowly been working thru issues this caused with some of our switches.  We have an 8 button KPL (2486D v.29) that seemed dead after the outage.  However, after shutting down power to the switch and turning back on seems to have brought power back to the switch. Now though it is acting as a 6 button switch instead of an 8 button switch and none of the buttons seem to control anything.  How can I restore it to an 8 button switch and restore all the buttons to control what they were previously linked to?  Thanks!

I've had KPL's do strange things after power failures. What seems to work best for me is to do a factory reset on the KPL then a restore device.

If the 2486D was originally a 6-button KPL, then a factory reset will return it to 6-button mode. It that's the case, then follow the instruction to change the mode. OTOH, if it was originally 8-button, then after a factory reset it should return to 8-button.

Still working thru power outage issues…..I have another 8 button keypad that seems to have been eliminated from the ISY994i entirely.  It is 2486D v 1.2 so not a dual band switch.  I have tried just adding it as a new switch, but the ISY says it can't communicate with the switch.  Is this because it is not a dual band switch so I need to purchase a new one?

It is not a requirement to be Dual Band.  Most of my KPLs in the main house have been there for years, before KPLs had Dual Band.   Some devices such as the I/O Linc never have been Dual Band.  Powerline only devices are expected to work.  This KPL may have been damaged.

If you think the powerline aspects are functional, which is the part I am concerned about along with overall Insteon powerline operation, put the KPL on and extension cord plugged into PLM circuit.  If that works the powerline is the issue.  If that does not work then the powerline aspects of device are likely dead. 

Archived