Thinking about getting a whole house surge protector

baabm

Worry about your house and I will worry about mine. Nothing you say adds anything to this discussion.

Your desires are irrelevant to reality, science, and knowledge.  This is not a discussion about your biases and desires.  This is a discussion, for the benefit of all, of what is and is not effective.

You said, "When I built my house it was built with automation in mind. Everything that was done was designed to lessen the chance of something going wrong."   So you implemented an Ufer ground?  No.  Upgraded earth ground to both meet and exeed code requirements?  No.  Inspect how every incoming utility wire connects low impedance (ie less than 10 feet) to single point earth ground?  No.  Installed a 'whole house' protector with specification numbers that defines protection even from direct lightning strikes?  No.

So you have demonstrated, for the benefit of all others, that you did not know how to lessen the chance of something going wrong.  What does and does not work. Does not matter what you want to do.  This is a discussion about science, reality, and effective appliance (automation) protection.  Does not matter if you choose to not do it.  Others here can learn from your denials and mistakes.

NFPA 780, Standard for the Installation of Lightning Protection Systems. Try it Westom and learn.

Learn the purpose of NFPA: protection of human life.  NFPA defines how protection must be installed to not kill humans.  It says nothing about protecting appliances.

For example, where does it discuss low impedance?  Does it say protection increases with every foot shorter that connection to earth?  Of course not.  Does it define things that can increase impedance (ie metallic conduit, sharp bends, splices, etc)?  Of course not.  Does it define how to upgrade earthing to increase that protection?  Of course not.  Those only reduce appliance threats.  Those do nothing to minimize a threat to human life.

One must install protection to meet and to exceed what NFPA demands.  One should know the purpose of the NFPA long before making accusations.

Learn what an industry guru says about this in his book "Protection of Electronic Circuits from Overvoltage":

This situation could be resolved by the use of mandatory standards ...  At this time this book was written (1988), the author saw no hope of such standards being adopted in the United States for overvoltages on the mains. 

No standards require effective protection; from the NFPA, UL, or other such standards.  Please learn what you are recommending before making speculation.  Maybe learn how much you need learn by reading Standler's book.  Or books and papers from other industry giants including Uman and Martzloff.  I have posted what they teach.  And what exists in every facility that cannot have damage  - even 100 years ago.

We know this.  A protector is only as effective as its earth ground.  That applies to a 'whole house' protector and to lightning rods.

I wouldn't even bother arguing with him. He spouts stuff as if what he says really matters. Until he pays my mortgage or buys my electronics, it really doesn't matter what he says.

With that said, in my next home, he has a standing offer to pay for the build, ground how he claims/believes, and buy all my electronics. SHOULD he do that, then I will listen to him

Archived