Any plans to use Insteon hub as a PLM modem?

3gdigital

I have not see anything like that.

There were a few of the older HUB modified to add the serial daughter board but it was in place of the original network board.

Smatlabs is very secretive on new products until ready to sell them. So could be in the works.

Teken found a few new PLMs listed in the drop down list of devices in the ISY firmware.

It would only require a tcpip connection to port 9761 and the commands work the same as the 2413s.

The old SmartLinc did this - exposed the serial interface on a TCP socket. It's interesting to see that the Hub apparently keeps this tradition.

I may just pick one up and see myself. I used to be able to run a serial/TCP service on my Ubuntu host and the Smartlinc would work with Houselinc as if it was directly connected. If it still works the same, I wonder what the result would be.... ISY programs and all the additional benefits of the Hub (Siri for those that have iDevices)...

Thanks for the link, but it does not address the question, the link looks like a discussion for Universal-Devices to create there own PLM device, which is cool. 

That being said I no longer have a hub because it failed, so I switched to the ISY w/serial PLM.  When I did use the hub I was able to access via tcp using an interface I created with LinuxMCE, in addition to direct TCP socket using perl on a linux box.  The hub accepted all commands that could be sent via tty with the serial PLM modem (linking, database updates etc.).  I just thought it would be great to be able to open a socket to the hub via tcp rather than via serial only this would give access to people who already own the hub, but would like more advance controls.

The developer of the HomeSeer Insteon plugin had this set up. Its probably very similar to a serial over IP type of set up. The only down side that its interface is no more complex than that, and the hub must be polled by the controller (ISY) to get updates from the network. I ran it side by side on homeseer this way for a while and programs that respond to devices appear a little bit slower. You also have to decide if you want to hit your network once a '?' for updates.

Its been brought up before but I do no think it is high on the list. Node servers on V5 is another way to access the plm from a network / programing perspective, through the ISY and regular PLM.

Archived