Timer Program

TMR Rudy

I am trying to find a timer program that keeps the bathroom shower fan on for 10 minutes after it is turned off.

the program that I found on the forum is not working for me;

IF

control fan is switched on

and

status fan is off

THEN

wait 10 minutes

set fan off

ELSE (optional)

Please let me know if you have seen any other programs that may assist.

Thanks

Rudy.

If you switch the fan on locally then the status of the fan is On.. i.e., "status fan is off" is countering "control fan is switched on."

Here are mine...

Master Bathroom Fan Timer A - [ID 00A5][Parent 00A3]

If
        Status  'Fan Master Bathroom' is On

Then
        Wait  15 minutes and 30 seconds
        Set 'Fan Master Bathroom' Off

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

This program is unnecessary 

Master Bathroom Fan Timer B - [ID 00B0][Parent 00A3]

If
        Status  'Fan Master Bathroom' is Off

Then
        Stop program 'Master Bathroom Fan Timer A'

Else

Jon...

I am trying to find a timer program that keeps the bathroom shower fan on for 10 minutes after it is turned off.

the program that I found on the forum is not working for me;

IF

and

status fan is off

THEN

wait 10 minutes

set fan off

ELSE (optional)

Please let me know if you have seen any other programs that may assist.

Thanks

Rudy.

If the fan is wired to the same switch you want to turn the fan off with you are basically out of luck.

Once you tap the bottom of the SwitchLinc paddle the fan is turned off without Insteon or ISY programs or scenes.

However, you could turn the fan back on and then time it off or use another signal to turn it off.

For a double tap on the top (fast on) that could work.

IF

control fan is switched fast on

THEN

wait 10 minutes

set fan off

ELSE (optional)

This way whether the fan is running or not the timer will be initiated and the fan should shut off.

The danger is you could miss the double tap and there is no feedback to the success. In view of this do not get rid of your basic program with a very long timer like this (have both) or you may come home to your fan still running.

IF

AND

control fan is NOT switched off

THEN

wait 30 minutes

set fan off

ELSE

set fan off

You could also acknowledge by flashing the LED or beepig the SwitchLinc but I doubt you would hear it with a fan running.

IF

control fan is switched fast on

THEN

set fan SwitchLinc LED 0%

set fan SwitchLinc LED 100%

set fan SwitchLinc LED 25%     <--- or whatever brightness you like

wait 10 minutes

set fan off

ELSE (optional)

IF

Control 'fan device' is switched Off

THEN

Set 'fan device' On

Wait 10 minutes

Set 'fan device' Off

Thanks everyone for your quick replies.  I have managed to get the fan to stay on after it is turned off;  however using the program from Jon above, there is a delay from when the fan is turned off...which sets the fan off, and then clicks back on to run the program.  I guess the off and on has to be there.  I was hoping for a smoother transition from when the fan is switched off (since it was on) and to stay on while it switches over to the program timer.

Thanks again all

Rudy

Thanks everyone for your quick replies.  I have managed to get the fan to stay on after it is turned off;  however using the program from Jon above, there is a delay from when the fan is turned off...which sets the fan off, and then clicks back on to run the program.  I guess the off and on has to be there.  I was hoping for a smoother transition from when the fan is switched off (since it was on) and to stay on while it switches over to the program timer.

Thanks again all

Rudy

Curious as to why you'd want your bathroom fan running without a timer? 

You could use "Fast On" (double tap) for a timer and reserve "On" for no timer.

If

Control 'Fan Master Bathroom' is switched Fast On

Then

Wait  10 minutes

Else

Also, in regards the programs I posted.. "Master Bathroom Fan Timer B" is not needed.. I just noticed that :)

Jon..

But the simple timer doesn't continue for 10 minutes after it's turned off--which was the original request. Some showers take longer, for example, washing one's hair. My wife also takes more time than I do (more hair?). A fixed timer does not allow for those circumstances.

I have the shower fan set to turn off at least 30 minutes after it is turned on, probably longer. In the WC I have a legit on timer switch that has 5 buttons with various times I think up to one hour . Press the button and the fan stays on that long. I think this is the type of timer Larry suggested.

Leviton-Countdown-Timers.jpg

I have the shower fan set to turn off at least 30 minutes after it is turned on, probably longer. In the WC I have a legit on timer switch that has 5 buttons with various times I think up to one hour . Press the button and the fan stays on that long. I think this is the type of timer Larry suggested.

Leviton-Countdown-Timers.jpg

Now take a model 6260 and label the 60 minute button "ON" and label the 10 minute button "Off".

There you have DIHA.  (Distributed Intelligence Home Automation). :)

I have seen some of these units with more logarithmic scaled times. More like 10,30,60,120 minutes.

That still requires that you know in advance how long you want the fan to run. If you take less time than your estimate, it's easy to select 10 minutes (the original request)--if 10 minutes is one of the fixed options. but if you under estimate, then the bathroom fogs up, not a great condition.

The OP requested a simple solution, no guessing required. Turn the fan on, take any length shower and then have the fan run for 10 additional minutes after turning the fan off. A simple request with a parsimonious solution.

One could even use the flow of water to make the process totally automatic B)

I wanted to use a program to have the fan (on/off switch) run after using the shower.  Usually we turn off all the bathroom lights including the fan once showered.  I found that moisture was not escaping the room during the period the fan was on during showering.  I wanted the fan to run 15 minutes longer after the shower.  Thus the need for a timer program.  The goal was after showering and leaving the bathroom, I wanted the fan to continue running without the need to revisit the bathroom to turn off the fan.  The fan I am using is a in ceiling typical bathroom fan integrated with the rest of the house as an on/off switch.

Using the two stage program has solved the issue.  Once the fan is switched off, there is a short delay and then the fan turns back on and runs the program for 15 minutes.  I wish there was not a short delay, where the fan would remain on and runs the program.  However not a big issue.  I did not want a program starts the timer once the fan is turned on.  There are several individuals using the bathroom who take different lengths of time showering, I did not what to cut the fan off while someone was in there.  Basically I wanted a run time of 15 minutes after you left the bathroom.

Thanks again all.

Rudy.

Basically I wanted a run time of 15 minutes after you left the bathroom.

Another option is to control the timer based on an event other than the fan switch..

If
        Status  'Light Master Bathroom Vanity' is Off

Then
        Wait  15 minutes

Else

This shuts the fan off after the bathroom light is switched off

Jon...

Another option is to control the timer based on an event other than the fan switch..

If
        Status  'Light Master Bathroom Vanity' is Off

Then
        Wait  15 minutes

Else

This shuts the fan off after the bathroom light is switched off

Jon...

The only missing piece is, remember to remove the fan from the light switch scene, that way you won't turn the fan off momentarily when the light goes off. If you'd like the fan to be fully automatic, add a program to detect the light turning on to turn on the fan.

Here's another option.. just press On again and it'll run the timer...

If
        Status  'Fan Master Bathroom' is On
    And Control 'Fan Master Bathroom' is switched On

Then
        Wait  15 minutes 

Else

Jon...

Archived