Help, can't get simple Scene to work

satwar

I have two 2466SW each controlling a light load (A. & B.)  I want to have one switch (B.) follow the action of the other switch (A.).  That is, when A. is switched ON, B. is switched ON.

I created a Scene with switch A. as controller and B. as responder, but B. is not following A.

What am I doing wrong ?.

Create one ISY Scene with switch A and switch B as Controllers.  There could be comm issues between the two switches or they may not be wired correctly.

The ToggleLincs are powerline only (no Dual Band RF) so how well the powerline is working is important.

Select Tools > Diagnostics > Event Viewer. Set the Level to 3. Select Clear if the window is not empty.

Right on the scene. Select Diagnostics > Scene Test > Yes

Look between the lines starting and ending with ----- Scene Name -----

Does every statement between those lines indicate [succeeded]? If not, which statement(s) did not succeed?

Select Tools > Diagnostics > Event Viewer. Set the Level to 3. Select Clear if the window is not empty.

Right on the scene. Select Diagnostics > Scene Test > Yes

Look between the lines starting and ending with ----- Scene Name -----

Does every statement between those lines indicate [succeeded]? If not, which statement(s) did not succeed?

Yes, the addresses of the two switches show up

Yes, the addresses of the two switches show up

That only indicates that the devices are members of the scene. Are both address listed as [succeeded]?

If switches A & B with associated loads turn On but not together the ToggleLincs are wired incorrectly. 

I'm not sure how the switches could be wired incorrectly.  The original switches were simply switching power on/off to their respective lights.  The Insteon red wire switches power to the light and the black wire feeds power to the switch, as before.  The only change in wiring was to tie the Insteon white wire to the neutral wire returning to the panel.

I notice when I look at the scene in Admin console, the status (on/off) of the switches is not current.  I have to run a Query on Scene to get an update on switch status.

I also notice that turning the scene on/off, the switches work together (on/off) as desired.  I just can't use the physical switches to work together.

You may have a communication problem. ToggleLincs are powerline only. Are both device on the same or different circuits? Do you have any dual-band devices on the same circuit(s)?

You may have a communication problem. ToggleLincs are powerline only. Are both device on the same or different circuits? Do you have any dual-band devices on the same circuit(s)?

That's a good point, I have seen signs of communication problems, with the several devices, but i's like chasing a ghost. 

The two Togglelinc switches are on very different circuits, one light switch is in the backyard garage, the other switch is in the back porch (`~25 feet away).  There are two circuits in the garage, so I could easily couple the two phases with plug-in range extenders.  I'll also plug in a range extender where my ghost appears from time to time.

Sounds like you busted the ghost, oops, problem. It's likely that lack of coupling is the cause of communication difficulties between the ToggleLincs. Two Range Extenders or other dual-band devices correctly located will adequately bridge the opposite legs of split, single-phase electric supply.

Any more than that can increase range and reliability, but may not solve powerline interference. Coupling problems are easy to solve. Finding the source of signal suckers (devices that clean the powerline, e.g., UPSs) and signal stompers (devices that put noise on the powerline, e.g., wall warts) is like chasing ghosts. A methodical approach is usually quickest.

Sounds like you busted the ghost, oops, problem. It's likely that lack of coupling is the cause of communication difficulties between the ToggleLincs. Two Range Extenders or other dual-band devices correctly located will adequately bridge the opposite legs of split, single-phase electric supply.

Any more than that can increase range and reliability, but may not solve powerline interference. Coupling problems are easy to solve. Finding the source of signal suckers (devices that clean the powerline, e.g., UPSs) and signal stompers (devices that put noise on the powerline, e.g., wall warts) is like chasing ghosts. A methodical approach is usually quickest.

Well I think I have found my communication problem.  My phase coupler (Signa Linc 4826A) plugged in on my dryer receptacle seems to be dead. .There's no leds lit up any more....

Archived