Z-Wave add-on question

ArunGupta2014

My experience is that z-wave devices can be added to scenes, but these only respond when calling the scene from the admin panel or by program (PLM as controller).  Z-wave devices don't seem to respond directly to insteon controllers and it does not appear to me that the ISY tries to simulate this response. 

My z-wave experience is rather limited, though, so I would be happy to be corrected.

Z-Wave devices can be dragged into scenes, but that has no effect on the Z-Wave deice. The only way to use an Insteon device to control a Z-Wave device is via a program. The only way to use a Z-Wave device to control an Insteon device is via a program.

Apologies, I got the terminology wrong. When I said Z-Wave module, I meant the Z-Wave radio board ($79.99 from Universal Devices) and the $1 Z-Wave software module. Once I get both these, then my understanding is that all Z-Wave devices on the network should be visible within the ISY Admin Console. It is also my understanding that I should be able to mix and match Insteon devices and Z-Wave devices within the same scene and/or program. If this is incorrect, please let me know. I am trying to avoid buying a separate Z-Wave hub if possible.

Thanks,

Arun

Arun,

I just ran an experiment and I was incorrect.  Controlling scenes that include Z-wave devices, using an insteon keypad button defined as scene controller, DID cause the Z-wave device to respond.  I am sure this is handled via the ISY, rather than direct communication between the insteon keypad and z-wave module.

Also, I notice that I cannot set z-wave ON levels to zero.  But, for simple scenes, it seems the Z-wave devices turn on when a in insteon scene controller issues the command.

I do not have any Z-Wave controller. The Z-Wave radio in ISY will be my primary controller.

I have ordered the Z-Wave radio board, some Z-Wave appliance modules and Z-Wave dimmer modules from Orchestrated Home. They were generous enough to offer a full return if things did not work out. When I get everything, I will see if I can mix Z-Wave and Insteon devices in scenes and programs and report back.

Thanks,

Arun

Archived