Motion sensor

jwarner964

Hi All

I wanted to get a MS and install it outside to detect anyone one walking up to my front door and also one for the back door. Living in MN it's pretty cold in the winter I was wondering how they performed in the winter. Anyone from a cold weather state have any insight for me

Thanks Jeff

Hi Jeff

I've had one outside observing my driveway in SW Michigan for a few years. I probably should have it covered on top, but i don't.  

The major problem of the colder snaps is that affects battery performance. I change the battery routinely around now before winter, and also 6 months later in the spring, whether the battery indicator goes on, or not. That way there is a solid 9 volts going into winter.I don't want to chance having to deal with it in the dead of winter.

Based on how this has worked I put another one under my deck as a "critter detector". This will be its first winter.

Paul

Larry,

Maybe twice a year we'll have cold spell with a warm rain on top of it. In those cases, I'll go through periods of a few hours  where it can go off based off the rain dripping off the garage roof (I think, don't have a better explanation). You also have to watch where the dryer vent exhausts or other fans (our Jenn-air stove exhausts a foot above ground)

Snow / wind have never been a factor. My main MS is out in the open, covering from near the street up 30 feet of driveway, and across the back yard. I had to set  jumper 1 for cutting the sensitivity of it 1/3, that's something to think about.  Without the jumper It was picking up things in my neighbors yard and every car that went by on the street. Now it catches things moving around in the yard, and any car pulling past the sidewalk driving in. 

Paul

Wouldn't swirling wind and/or snow set them off constantly. Weather sets all my other 120vac MS light units off constantly.

This would be good to hear from others using Insteon MS units outside.

I would love to see some kind of sensitivity adjustment for them.  I have a lot of plants on my front patio, some are fairly tall, and if the wind blows it'll set the sensor off.

Jon..

A few responses to disparate posts.

I've had luck with lithium batteries (indoors). I occasionally get a low battery message, but the MS continues to function.

I can't find the post, but someone had a MS knocked off their mailbox during snowy weather. They found it months later, after the snow had melted, still functioning.

Motion sensors, despite their name, detect an incremental change in heat, not motion. That change has to be in a horizontal direction. Rustling foliage is unlikely set off the sensor, although it can depending on the weather, not the motion

Motion sensors, despite their name, detect an incremental change in heat, not motion. That change has to be in a horizontal direction. Rustling foliage is unlikely set off the sensor, although it can depending on the weather, not the motion

Electrically, I know exactly how motion sensors work - but the Insteon ones are definitely sensitive to rapidly changing light (like sun coming out from behind a cloud) and more recently our Halloween decorations fluttering keeps triggering my sensor as well. It's very annoying. Neither of these should trigger a purely heat sensitive motion sensor....

I'm looking for a better solution...

Most of my Heath -Zenith motion sensors lights are on for every snow storm. Every brand I have ever had does this.

I doubt they detect heat but rather iR spectrum light.

The better units have two sensors and detect differential changes.

The cheap ones just detect ambient light changes due to only having one sensor. The sensor may be composed of two sensors on some.

The Insteon units seem fairly stable and do not false much, that I have seen.

The X10 units will trigger with ambient lighting changes, car lights passing, etc.

I've found setting jumper one cuts the sensitivity to a level that works well, but is not trigger happy. I'm sure each setup is unique and has unique problems.

I need to experiment with that one again.

I tried that with one of my first units but it seemed to miss action right in front of it.

I always have trouble with the one in my MBR as it sees me walk past in the hallway and triggers unnecessarily.

Too bad that wasn't on the remote setting options.

I have used Ultralife batteries in my outside units for several years and have had no issues, they seem to give me longer service. We are located in southern Delaware so don't have the extreme temps of up north.  Keep in mind the 10 years is shelf life, not use life.

Archived