Question about ISY firmware upgrades

ahwman

I upgraded my ISY994 today and based on the directions there is supposed to be a way to automatically update ISY firmware from within the admin console, however the only means I see is using the manual method via downloading the firmware. Am I missing something?

Also, I want to be sure I downloaded and installed the correct firmware. I have an ISY994iZW/IR PRO and there were two options. I chose the first, which I'm now thinking is the wrong one, however I didn't receive any errors.

ISY 994i Series including Z-Wave Support

ISY 994i ZW, Z, or ZS Series (Z-Wave/Zigbee and/or if you do NOT have a PLM)

Thanks,

Chuck

I upgraded my ISY994 today and based on the directions there is supposed to be a way to automatically update ISY firmware from within the admin console, however the only means I see is using the manual method via downloading the firmware. Am I missing something?

I believe this feature is a notification of official release.  I don't know that it will automatically upload and install.

Jon...

I believe this feature is a notification of official release.  I don't know that it will automatically upload and install.

Jon...

Does anyone know what the difference is between the two versions?

The official release is one that has been tested enough for known bugs to have been eliminated and/or minimized. It's always one or more revisions behind the latest release candidate (RC). If you want the most stable environment, then install the latest official release, 4.3.18. If you want the most up-to-date firmware that may or may not have some--usually minor--problems, then install the latest RC, currently 4.3.26. Or be brave and update to version 5+ B)

I was referring to the two different file versions available for the same firmware not the difference between beta vs final versions. I'm just curious what's different between the two.

Example: v4.3.26 (RC8)

ISY 994i Series including Z-Wave Support

ISY 994i ZW, Z, or ZS Series (Z-Wave/Zigbee and/or if you do NOT have a PLM)

I'm confused. I originally installed the first version and then assumed I installed the wrong one so I installed the second version. Both seem to work and control my Insteon devices just fine...

I have an ISY994iZW/IR PRO. Should I reinstall the first version?

Thanks,

Chuck

The second version will support Z-Wave or ZigBee in the event you don't have a PLM or your PLM fails. In the latter cases, Insteon is not supported. Insteon requires a PLM. If you do have a functioning PLM and a Z-Wave or ZigBee module, then either version is OK.

The second version will support Z-Wave or ZigBee in the event you don't have a PLM or your PLM fails. In the latter cases, Insteon is not supported. Insteon requires a PLM. If you do have a functioning PLM and a Z-Wave or ZigBee module, then either version is OK.

Thank you for the explanation. That's just what I was looking for...

Just to add more clarity for those still unsure about the two versions of firmware. If you have hybrid environment where there are Insteon and Z-Wave devices in the home. Using the second firmware will allow the end user to continue to use the ISY Series Controller when a Insteon PLM fails.

For those like me who have ZigBee the only thing it offers is the ability to still see and track energy readings from my Brultech Green Eye Monitor (GEM). If the Insteon PLM is dead it obviously would not allow me to react to those energy readings / loads.

Just to add more clarity for those still unsure about the two versions of firmware. If you have hybrid environment where there are Insteon and Z-Wave devices in the home. Using the second firmware will allow the end user to continue to use the ISY Series Controller when a Insteon PLM fails.

For those like me who have ZigBee the only thing it offers is the ability to still see and track energy readings from my Brultech Green Eye Monitor (GEM). If the Insteon PLM is dead it obviously would not allow me to react to those energy readings / loads.

This is good to know, thanks so much for sharing...

What, then, is the point of the first version?  By this description the second should work for everyone whether or not you had a PLM.

I do believe you're correct. As stated using the second version of firmware allows a method of fail over if a person has a hybrid Z-Wave / Insteon network in the home. Meaning if the PLM failed some how the ISY Series Controller would still be capable of executing programs, timers, etc for Z-Wave only devices.

Archived