Insteon 2441TH Horrible Viewing Angle

Tungsten

I'm wondering if I got a bad Thermostat or if this is normal behavior.  I just bought the 2441TH and got it installed last night but was really surprised by how bad the viewing angle is on it.  The thermostat is mounted considerably below eye level (about mid-chest height) and completely unreadable unless you look directly at it on the same plane (at eye level).  Any other angle other than straight on seems unusable.  Also, when I push any of the buttons OR anywhere around the plastic bezel around the LCD I notice that the LCD distorts (for lack of a better word), meaning other elements that are not active on the LCD start showing up for a brief second.  This seems poorly designed.  Any idea if this is normal or should I send it back?

TIA.

My thermostat is mounted at the "standard" height, about 5' above the floor level. I can read it easily lying on the floor as well as standing on a chair (not my normal viewing places). The versions I have are v.A3 and v.0D.

My security display has similar limits in terms of viewing angles.   Also my Copy/FAX machine is the same way.  Although sitting on a table the front panel with the display is angled such that the eyes are viewing nearly straight.   There are limitations with those small display panels.  The 2491T Venstar has a good image when straight and above the thermostat but poor when below the device.  The 2441TH is blank when viewing from below and inactive segments are visible when viewing from above.  

Thanks everyone, it sounds like this is just a limitation of the device and no need to try and get it replaced.  Looks like I might have to look into relocating it to a higher location.  LeeG, you described exactly what I'm seeing with my 2441TH...where it's mounted (about 4' from the ground) it lights up inactive icons and numbers like a Christmas tree & when viewed from below it shows a blank screen.  It's actually really, really awful...I was kinda shocked when i first saw it.  Never had this issue with my proliphix tstat, all viewing angles were great. 

thanks.

LCD readouts are visible best and dependant on the voltage applied.

Older LCD units always had a contrast adjustment and the best angle was adjustment dependent. Temperature affected the readouts somewhat also. Imagine that for a thermostat? :)

If it is new you may consider the warranty complaint system.

Thanks everyone, it sounds like this is just a limitation of the device and no need to try and get it replaced.  Looks like I might have to look into relocating it to a higher location.  LeeG, you described exactly what I'm seeing with my 2441TH...where it's mounted (about 4' from the ground) it lights up inactive icons and numbers like a Christmas tree & when viewed from below it shows a blank screen.  It's actually really, really awful...I was kinda shocked when i first saw it.  Never had this issue with my proliphix tstat, all viewing angles were great. 

thanks.

If you don't want to relocate the stat, you might consider placing a shim behind the bottom of the stat to angle the whole unit up a bit.

-Xathros

Archived