Unable to link Insteon On/Off module to ISY

rcxyz

I recently installed an ISY994i/IR Pro, Insteon 2413S PLM, and two Insteon On/Off 2443-2222 devices to control a set of external venetian blinds. They are working great, thanks to help from the forum.

I have purchased two more On/Off modules to control another set of shades in the office, which is a separate building approximately 40 feet from the main house. The On/Off modules will not link to the ISY when they are located in the office. I have tested linking them when they are in the main house, and that works perfectly.

What do I need to do to make this work? 

Apologies if this post should be in the Communications section.

Thanks!!

Along with Stu's question of same/different meter, the Micro On/Off module is NOT Dual Band.   Assuming the other building is on the same meter a set of Dual Band devices is necessary to couple the 2 120 v legs.  Possibility the power to the other building powering the new Micro On/Off modules is on the other 120 v leg which will not receive PLM messages without coupling.

Along with Stu's question of same/different meter, the Micro On/Off module is NOT Dual Band.   Assuming the other building is on the same meter a set of Dual Band devices is necessary to couple the 2 120 v legs.  Possibility the power to the other building powering the new Micro On/Off modules is on the other 120 v leg which will not receive PLM messages without coupling.

LeeG,

Direct from the Smarthome website, all of the Micro Modules (On|Off, Dimmer, Open/Close) are Dual Band.

KS

Yes, I think the RF range is almost nothing. I haven't been able to determine if the office is on the same 120V leg. Does anyone know of a simple way to tell?

Assuming that it is not on the same leg, is there a way to solve the problem? Additional equipment? 

Thanks!

Dual-band devices include an indicator to determine is you've successfully bridged the opposite legs of the split, single-phase electric supply. Depending on the device and it's age, then Owner's Manual refers to the 4-tap or beacon test.

While the On/Off Module is installed in the office, put a dual-band device in the main house in beacon mode (4 very, very rapid taps). The observe the On/Off Module. Does the LED blink at all?

We attached plugs to each of the Micro On/Off Modules, and first did the beacon test with both devices in the office. We were able to get the "same phase" and "different phase" using different outlets in the office.

As soon we took one of the modules to the main house, there was no response at all from the module in the office. We have another out building with power (also from the same meter) between the two buildings. I tried the test from there as well -- there was no response on the office module.

Thanks so much for your help. Can you recommend a next step?

Insteon RF has limited range.  Not surprising the RF signal will not pass through two exterior walls and possibly some interior walls as well.

Unless there are noise or signal suppression issues the powerline signal should have no trouble getting to another building 40' away on the same meter.   Couple the 2 120v Legs where the PLM is located as the PLM is the device that must talk to the Micro On/Off module in the other building. 

EDIT: My detached garage is more than 300' wire feet from house with several Insteon devices running from powerline.

Archived