Polyglot shell dispatch Node

larryllix

I think this could be a very useful application that could have unlimited uses.

A Node server to reside in an RPi that when issued a value from say 0-255 would invoke one of 255 shell command lines in RPi. These shell command lines may need library management tools  or just be a simple text file full of numbered command lines in order.

This could be developed to do many things including eliminating a lot of this cloud necessary stuff.

The idea that brought this to mind was a sound generator, inspired by the programmable doorbell threads lately. The RPi could even act as a simple doorbell but the real power would be 255 (or more) different sound bytes that can be played to the home at the flick of an ISY variable.

Anouncements to the home of status changes, weather warnings, time and alarm clock style warnings, etc etc.

Geeez ISY could even play music!

At the other end of the spectrum ISY could do anything a RPi can do by just inserting the correct shell command in the Linux table and flipping  variable in ISY to the correct value.

I don't do well with the RPi stuff yet but  for some of these gurus this should be a piece of cake and easy to swing some of the complexities over to linux shell lines and also opening up the power for weird applications to users that can't write complex code but can edit a simple text file full of indexed shell command lines.

I think this could be a very useful application that could have unlimited uses.

A Node server to reside in an RPi that when issued a value from say 0-255 would invoke one of 255 shell command lines in RPi. These shell command lines may need library management tools  or just be a simple text file full of numbered command lines in order.

This could be developed to do many things including eliminating a lot of this cloud necessary stuff.

The idea that brought this to mind was a sound generator, inspired by the programmable doorbell threads lately. The RPi could even act as a simple doorbell but the real power would be 255 (or more) different sound bytes that can be played to the home at the flick of an ISY variable.

Anouncements to the home of status changes, weather warnings, time and alarm clock style warnings, etc etc.

Geeez ISY could even play music!

At the other end of the spectrum ISY could do anything a RPi can do by just inserting the correct shell command in the Linux table and flipping  variable in ISY to the correct value.

I don't do well with the RPi stuff yet but  for some of these gurus this should be a piece of cake and easy to swing some of the complexities over to linux shell lines and also opening up the power for weird applications to users that can't write complex code but can edit a simple text file full of indexed shell command lines.

Get io_guy's ISYLink (or other Link program), install it on your Pi and you can do this today with it's relay server.

-Xathros

Archived