Best way to create, control scene with three way switch setup?

manowell

Nothing in how you link the device should cause chatter. Only the load or wiring can cause that.

Retrofitted switches in a 3-way configuration should behave as the switches they replaced with the exception that they don't toggle (top vs. bottom) to turn the load on of off. top is always on, bottom is always off. But, they should not "argue."

All of the SwitchLincs should have line and neutral, but only one should be connected to the load. The other two SwitchLinc load wires should be capped. Is that how they're wired?

And yet, somehow, I had mine setup to argue.  Buzz, blink up and down a second, then hard freeze.

TO the wiring, yes, if I recall correctly.  See page 11of this document: http://cache-m2.smarthome.com/manuals/2477d-en-03-26-2015.pdf.  The one I used was a year back, not near as pretty, and had discrete steps about locating the load and the line, which I followed.  I specifically remember the capped off unused traveler and the capped off unused load wire on the line side.

I saw no chatter until I tried to assign buttons against it using INSY.

Looking at the scene "Closet lights on" with both switches at controllers, I see the options ot set the on level and ramp rate on EACH SWITCH, and they controlling the SAME LOAD.  I feel that's the cause of the chatter, somehow.

I specifically remember the capped off unused traveler and the capped off unused load wire on the line side.

Links cannot cause chatter. Defective devices, wiring and/or loads can. Describe the wiring you did--not just from memory--pull, but do not disconnect both switches. Include colors. You can disregard any ground wire.

INSY?

manowell, the Insteon protocol does not allow separating on and off from the same paddle/button. Only a program can do that.

ScottAvery, info only: black to black and white to white is parallel wiring.

Stu, that's embarrassing.  Speaker wiring on the brain I guess.  At least it was only the wrong word choice.

Manowell, It just clicked for me that part of your confusion may be thinking of the button on the face of the dimmer and the dimmer itself as the same, when it is a little more complicated than that.  True, that button is the dedicated controller, with the same Insteon address, but logically the dimmer and the button can perform differently in multiple scenes.  When you refer to the dimmer as a controller, you are talking about the action of the button, and as stated, the button can only do one thing directly, hence the limitation of being a member of only one scene as controller.  When you refer to it as a responder, you are talking about the dimmer output to the load, independent of what the button does in any other scene.

This may or may not help:  It may make more sense to think of a lamp module that has controller buttons on it.  With lamp modules you may more naturally think of the dimming feature as an action that you would normally control from other devices through scenes, but the device does in fact have dedicated control buttons on it that function just like a switchlinc dimmer.  You can set the local on levels and ramp rates or scene membership for the lamplinc buttons totally differently than the other scenes that control it.

And another thought, Manowell, are you sure you are setting the remotelinc to the programming mode each time you update the scenes?  It could be out of synch with what you expect if you have not been doing so.  There would be green programming icons next to the remotelinc in the ISY console if you have not.

And another thought, Manowell, are you sure you are setting the remotelinc to the programming mode each time you update the scenes?  It could be out of synch with what you expect if you have not been doing so.  There would be green programming icons next to the remotelinc in the ISY console if you have not.

Yes I am.  I recently upgraded to "Pro" so I could schedule the writes, best money ever spent.

Links cannot cause chatter. Defective devices, wiring and/or loads can. Describe the wiring you did--not just from memory--pull, but do not disconnect both switches. Include colors. You can disregard any ground wire.

INSY?

ISY, sorry.  ISY 994i PRO w v4.3.26 firmware and UI.  No idea where "insy" came from.

Manowell, It just clicked for me that part of your confusion may be thinking of the button on the face of the dimmer and the dimmer itself as the same, when it is a little more complicated than that.  True, that button is the dedicated controller, with the same Insteon address, but logically the dimmer and the button can perform differently in multiple scenes.  When you refer to the dimmer as a controller, you are talking about the action of the button, and as stated, the button can only do one thing directly, hence the limitation of being a member of only one scene as controller.  When you refer to it as a responder, you are talking about the dimmer output to the load, independent of what the button does in any other scene.

I think you're correct here.  Let me digest this.

Archived