Adding devices

Gee

Gee

"does this imply that you must choose between either the HUB or the ISY but you can not utilize both ?"

If you are an expert with Insteon and the use of multiple Controllers (ISY and Hub) it can be done BUT it takes lots of work, sustained over the life of using two Controllers at the same time.  It is not a simple environment and requires expert knowledge.

Techman, I've tried adding devices and using "Auto Discover" and get a "Failed" message again.  Not sure how to get the model of the PLM?

There could be a conflict if  a device is currently linked to the Hub. Try doing a factory reset on a problem device then try to link it to the ISY. I don't think you can have two controllers controlling a device as the left hand wouldn't  know what the right hand is doing. I would suggest removing the Hub and using the ISY.

Tedious, very tedious.

OK, can I use the HUB (since it is all ready money spent) as a range extender ? Specifically, the open/close sensor is the furthest away from everything else. The ISY sees the HUB, the devices see the HUB, the open/close sensor sorta sees the HUB. If I clear the HUB of all devices and go solely with the ISY, can I still have the HUB plugged in at a central location (empty with no devices added to the HUB) and utilize it as a system wide range extender ?

I'm assuming the interaction between devices via RF is "passive" (ie that the HUB will forward Insteon RF signals to the power line regardless of it's being program aware of that device) ?  

All dual-band device are range extenders.

So I can use da HUB - as a range extender even without any devices linked to da HUB, and it will function as a range extender in my system, and IT WILL NOT SCREW UP THE ISY and by FUNCTION, I mean that it will extend the range of all insteon devices hooked up in my home and linked to the ISY, but NOT LINKED TO da HUB ?

YES ? or NO ?

A dual-band device repeats Insteon signals. It doesn't care what sends the signal even if it's in use for a different purpose. A LampLinc, for example, repeats the signal whether or not it's controlling a lamp.

" I mean that it will extend the range of all insteon devices hooked up in my home"

That is not answerable and likely not true.   Nothing SmartLabs produces will receive "all insteon devices" installed in a typical installation.   Opposite 120v leg, not in RF range (from your post -  the open/close sensor sorta sees the HUB), various reasons "all" insteon devices would not be processed by HUB.

A Range Extender like ALL dual-band devices is not a signal booster. It simply repeats any Insteon RF or power line signal that it hears (first caveat). The "problem" device must be within range of the repeated signal (second caveat).

If by "the same" you mean identical, then probably not. Some dual-band devices seem to have a better range than others. I'm not aware of the specifics for each device, but all dual-band devices, including the Hub, function as a range extender.

No dual-band device will screw up the ISY if nothing is linked to it (the dual-band device) unless the device is defective.

Archived