ISYPortal... What can it do now?

Bxsteez

Hi Teken. I am not trying to stir the pot, and do not have knowledge of the politics or competitive environment of energy management. I just maintain that currently available devices that will both talk to the ISY and manage one's HVAC are not as mainstream as some of the currently available "consumer" wifi thermostats, so the ISY portal seemed like a potential solution. Obviously, it is not.

What I don't understand is why we see plugins for something like Homeseer functioning rather well in terms of communicating with the Nest, with the same being true for code that can be written for the Raspberry Pi. But when it comes to the ISY it seems to be taboo. It just makes no sense to me! What I gather from this discussion is that Google has "banned" communication between Nest and devices like the ISY, despite having an API that would seem to allow it from a technical perspective. The result is that users are forced to create various Rube Goldberg ways around this, including Raspberry Pis, the use of 3-4 devices when only two should be necessary, etc.

I don't want to belabor the point more, hijack the thread further, etc... But we have this great little device, that now has a portal that expands its utility, but which has some weak points such as energy management. I really just want to connect two things that seem as natural as peanut butter and jelly. But we can't, and all we really have is a lot of finger pointing as to why that is. Frustrating, and I'm still not certain as to whom I should be mad at.

Hi Teken. I am not trying to stir the pot, and do not have knowledge of the politics or competitive environment of energy management. I just maintain that currently available devices that will both talk to the ISY and manage one's HVAC are not as mainstream as some of the currently available "consumer" wifi thermostats, so the ISY portal seemed like a potential solution. Obviously, it is not.

What I don't understand is why we see plugins for something like Homeseer functioning rather well in terms of communicating with the Nest, with the same being true for code that can be written for the Raspberry Pi. But when it comes to the ISY it seems to be taboo. It just makes no sense to me! What I gather from this discussion is that Google has "banned" communication between Nest and devices like the ISY, despite having an API that would seem to allow it from a technical perspective. The result is that users are forced to create various Rube Goldberg ways around this, including Raspberry Pis, the use of 3-4 devices when only two should be necessary, etc.

I don't want to belabor the point more, hijack the thread further, etc... But we have this great little device, that now has a portal that expands its utility, but which has some weak points such as energy management. I really just want to connect two things that seem as natural as peanut butter and jelly. But we can't, and all we really have is a lot of finger pointing as to why that is. Frustrating, and I'm still not certain as to whom I should be mad at.

All of the points you made are solid and a reasonable person would have to ask the same very question. On the surface one would think a company like Google who at every turn touts open source standards, availability for all, and integration. Would lead the charge in this endeavor and allow Tom, Dick, Harry to play in the sandbox.

Doing so would drive sales because people like you and me know some 3rd party controller like the 994 Series Controller is able to take advantage of the latest and greatest selling TSTAT.

I've tried for years to come up with solid reasons why allowing those with existing energy management features denied access?

Its a freaking thermostat for God sake's its not the keys to the city . . .

But I digress, as its clear the only way at the present is to use some middle ware and hardware solutions which is just a kludge!

BTW: This is a great discussion that offers a nice work around: http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/17070-nest-integration/

Archived