ISY994i , Smarthome Hub & Amazon ECHO

Breezyken

Can I use both my ISY994i and a Smarthome Insteon Hub (2245-222) in the same installation?  WHY??  I have an Amazon Echo which I can use for Insteon voice control, but it requires the smarthome hub as an interface.  I understand that the smarthome hub is not very user friendly or as flexible as ISY, but I would like to be able to control several insteon devices by voice.  Do you think they will play nice together?

General opinion is that it takes a lot of coordination and effort to have the Hub and ISY share devices. It can be done, but my answer to your question is 'No'.

Soon, we'll have official and native ISY /Alexa integration via the ISYPortal. Better to wait for that IMO.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I have a very loaded ISY/Insteon system installed.   There are three things I want the Smarthome hub for

1. Alexa-  Read above it is coming soon.  In a beta soon?

2. Home Kit- was told there are no plans.  I just want to be able to control my ISY from other apps.  Like the Phillips Hue app could turn on the Hue lights and also control lights on insteon.  And can't say much but Apple is working on a smarthome app to control untying that is Home Kit.  Smarthome has already added it.

3. One of my main thing is full camera support for apple watch.  Camera support is hard to find and not crazy about the way it is implemented in some of the ISY iPhone apps like MobiLinq.   The ones I do like require you to run a server on a mac or pc to relay the stuff.  But its all built into the Smarthome Hub.  I picked one at 35% off or something like that on Black Friday.  I was going to hook it up just for camera support.   Any issues with that idea?

Jeff

But its all built into the Smarthome Hub.  I picked one at 35% off or something like that on Black Friday.  I was going to hook it up just for camera support.   Any issues with that idea?

Finally, something to watch on a watch while on-watch B)

• 6 months later...

Can I use both my ISY994i and a Smarthome Insteon Hub (2245-222) in the same installation?  WHY??  I have an Amazon Echo which I can use for Insteon voice control, but it requires the smarthome hub as an interface.  I understand that the smarthome hub is not very user friendly or as flexible as ISY, but I would like to be able to control several insteon devices by voice.  Do you think they will play nice together?

Yes, this is my preferred method of using Alexa with Insteon devices.  All my ISY programs, switches, on/off modules, and other devices still work fine from both the ISY and the 222 hub.  I've read about the ISY skill for Alexa and the full home control integration but it still doesn't sound like it will work as well for me.  I want to be able to dim my lights and all my programs are designed to run autonomously.  Also, don't need to spend another $25/year.  I try to avoid user fees since they do add up.  I COULD use ISY integration to create programs to invoke through Alexa, e.g. "Alexa turn on xyz program to unlock doors" but I don't want to do that yet.  The one issue I have with the 222 is that, on setting up a new device that's already installed on the ISY, it usually requires multiple taps on the 222 app after initial setup to get the switch, etc. to work.  After that it's fine.    See my post and user comments on the Smarthome forum:  http://forum.smarthome.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17353&whichpage=1

A major disadvantage for me is that using the Hub causes the lighting to always turn on at full brightness. There is no way around that. Also, Keypad secondary buttons are not supported. The result is that if you use a secondary button to turn off a device that's been turned on by the Hub, then you need to press the button twice. The fan part of the FanLinc is not controllable at all by the Hub.

The Hub does not support scenes. So if you have a scene that turns on devices to different On-levels, the you'll need to separately adjust each load after using the Hub to turn on a group. Ramp rates are not supported by the Hub at all.

BTW, I do have a mix of ISY and Hub controlled devices.

Archived