Responding vs. On vs. Off

KHouse

Maybe I'm overcomplicating this very simple program, but looking to see if someone can help me figure out the "responding" choice in the condition choices.

I've checked the UDI wiki page (http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Main_Page) , and Googling ISY and responding pulls up thousands of results none of which address this as the word responding seems to pop-up in every ISY related post.

I haven't done much to my automation in a while, so I'm forgetting some of the basics.  Added one closet light this year, and now looking to add a LampLinc Dimmer plug-in module for our Christmas tree lights (really justing using it for on/off, not dimming).

One of the programs I would like, is for the tree to simply turn-off if it is 11:00 pm.  In my "programming" I'm looking to see:

- If time is 11:00pm and Christmass Tree Lights is ON

- Then turn Christmass Tree Lights to OFF.

However, there's no option in the condition choices for ON.  It's either RESPONDING, OFF, or a percentage.  Is RESPONDING the same as ON?

Also, should I even be checking the condition to see if it is on, or should I just do:  If 11:00pm then turn Christmas Tree Lights to OFF?

Does the responding have something to do with it being a dimmer module?  I can only assume that RESPONDING is the same as ON but would like some confirmation.

Screenshot below for reference.

Additionally, and on a side note, I wanted to be clear on the LampLinc module.  The LampLinc is just a ON/OFF module that allows dimming, and thus it's rated at 300W + lamps only, while the ON/OFF Module is rated at 1800W + anything can be plugged in.  Amy I missing anything?

Thanks for the help!

I would simply turn it off at 11 without checking status. I have never perceived any harm in this.

For the record, ON = 100%. One can also use NOT OFF as a condition, which is any percentage above zero.6IS RESPONDING will not accomplish your goal. This represents a condition that differentiates between when a device is communicating or not.

Additionally, and on a side note, I wanted to be clear on the LampLinc module.  The LampLinc is just a ON/OFF module that allows dimming, and thus it's rated at 300W + lamps only, while the ON/OFF Module is rated at 1800W + anything can be plugged in.  Amy I missing anything?

The lamp linc is NOT like a Insteon On-Off Relay module because the ladder has a relay which can handle large restive / reactive loads.

Whereas the former is designed to dim a purpose built light fixture which uses a incandescent load. A lamp linc dimmer even when full on does not provide 100% power when comparing the two hardware devices. Because the On-Off Relay module uses a purpose built relay this is why it can be used on motors, etc.

Do not attempt to plug in a device like a hair dryer, fan, heater, etc to this device because (regardless of power handling) doing so will damage the appliance never mind the actual lamp linc module. 

My understanding is of "Responding" is that it's used to check communication with devices.

To make certain you have full functionality in your UI check your firmware version and the UI version ( Help > About .)  They should be the same.

Here's a program I wrote using firmware version 5.0.2 and it does have ON / OFF

Lamplinc - [ID 00D2][Parent 00CC]

If
        From    Sunset  - 20 minutes
        To      11:00:00PM (same day)

Then
        Set 'Media Room Lamplinc' On

Else
        Set 'Media Room Lamplinc' Off

If you right click on the program name you can select "Copy to Clipboard" the paste into the message.

Jon...

Unless you have a dimmable load you should use an On/Off Module, not a dimmer. Even at full on, the TRIACs chop the waveform (that's how they achieve dimming). You risk shortening the life of the dimmer, the load or both. Or worse, the dimmer and/or load may suddenly fail.

Archived