Hardwired couplers

I am finally getting around to installing a hardwired coupler at the breaker box for the two legs of split phase power.  I actually have had an X-10 coupler in a box for at least 15 years that I never installed.  I went ahead and ordered a new Insteon branded coupler, but I am curious if there would be any value to installing both of them?  Thoughts?

Thanks

Can't comment on the X-10 coupler besides most operate fine helping Insteon signals to bridge over to the other electrical leg. I opted to use the Insteon Dryer Linc instead as it didn't take up a breaker.

The one I use repeats and boosts the X-10 signal while also helping bridge the two sides of the electrical legs of the split single phase system.

It should be noted that the Insteon coupler does not repeat or strengthen the signal. It simpler bridges / couples both sides of the electrical legs of the service panel.

Meaning if the signal is low coming in it will be low going out.

This is why any dual band device or the dedicated  AP / RE is great in this regard. It will take the Insteon signal and relay (repeat) and will also regenerate a weak signal back to its full output as will all the other nodes in the mesh.

The dryer plug in module.   They seem to be out of production now, though.

Oh yeah for more than seven years now I believe.

Going off old memory they were a big seller during the X-10 hay days. Again due to the fact they were a plug and play affair and did not eat up a breaker slot(s).

Outside of the 240 VAC Insteon controller, the Dryer Linc was the largest appliance Smartlabs ever made. Its huge and thank God its hidden behind the dryer!

Ha . . .

032D5B87-5731-463C-A3A4-A9F72BE6DCBD_zps

B7D7B2B7-B1AB-4296-9AD2-FE6E393C7F80_zps

There is no better way to keep the Insteon signal within the confines of the residence that a hard-wired coupler. Both Insteon and X10 couplers are equally effective for power line signals. The only caveat is that some X10 boosters and/or repeaters, which BTW, boost and/or repeat only X10 signals can interfere with Insteon signaling.

There is no better way to keep the Insteon signal within the confines of the residence that a hard-wired coupler. Both Insteon and X10 couplers are equally effective for power line signals. The only caveat is that some X10 boosters and/or repeaters, which BTW, boost and/or repeat only X10 signals can interfere with Insteon signaling.

True, also it should be noted if energy management and conservation is the ultimate goal. The passive coupler 2406H consumes approx 1.2 - 1.44 watts while present. Where as the two other Dryer Lincs consumed anywhere from 5.25 - 6.77 watts at idle to operating modes.

The other Dryer Linc which does not repeat X-10 signal consumes about 5.13 watts while in place. If it came down to best value the 2406H is the clear winner since its only $24.99 USD.

As the previous Dryer Linc sold for about depending on model $99 - 125.XX USD 

The 4826A/B was the X10 coupler/repeater models. May or may not false trigger on some Insteon messages.

The 4816A/B was the passive X10 coupler. Fine with X10 or Insteon messages.

I believe you may have the X10Pro XPCP. It is a passive coupler and should couple Insteon also. Though it has a better tuned for X10 set of transformers in it.

The 4826A/B was the X10 coupler/repeater models. May or may not false trigger on some Insteon messages.

The 4816A/B was the passive X10 coupler. Fine with X10 or Insteon messages.

I believe you may have the X10Pro XPCP. It is a passive coupler and should couple Insteon also. Though it has a better tuned for X10 set of transformers in it.

Yes, that model is correct, the passive coupler.  I bought it for an apartment where I was using X10 and never bothered installing it since it wasn't my breaker panel.  I suspected the frequencies would not be exactly the same, so I appreciate you confirming that.  I will just install the 2406H since I won't have any X10 in this house.

The passive dryer couplers should work fine.  The 2406H has a coil and capacitor in series from line to line. As do the dryer ones.

I am not sure if Smarthome changed the capacitor to a slightly lower value in the 2406H. To get closer to the Insteon 131.65Khz. It use to be sold as an X10 coupler. I retuned  one of my Dryer Outlet ones and didn't see any difference.

Problem is. If the dryer outlet is not real close the the breaker box. All the wiring from the breaker box to the dryer outlet. Can make it less efficient.

Archived