Another 3 way circuit question!!

GDavis01

I tried to find more information on this topic, in the forum, but I couldn't find anything that specifically relates to my situation. Given the many threads on 3 way switch setups it's quite possible that there is one dealing with this so if anyone can direct me to another thread I would appreciate the link.

My situation is that I have some lights on a stairway with switches at the top and the bottom. I installed a Dual Band Switchlinc Dimmer switch at the top and a Dual Band Switchlinc On/Off switch at the bottom. I then put them both into a scene with both devices as controllers. 

My issues are as follows... I cannot dim the lights at all! The scene has the On level of the dimmer at 60% but when I turn on the scene the current state shows as 60% for the dimmer and simply On for the On/Off switch, and the lights are at 100%. When I press on the dimmer's paddle nothing happens unless I do a hard press to bring it to 100%.

Does this setup actually work? I seem to remember reading quite some time ago that this was feasible! Does it matter which switch is connected to the load?

Did you simply use black, red and white as line, load and neutral (absolutely incorrect)? Or did you reconnect some wire to ensure that both boxes have line and neutral and connect only one dimmer to the load?

Did you simply use black, red and white as line, load and neutral (absolutely incorrect)? Or did you reconnect some wire to ensure that both boxes have line and neutral and connect only one dimmer to the load?

I wish I could say I fully understand your question... but I don't! 

If the SwitchLinc that is not the dimmer is connected to the load then there will never be any dimming. The electronics are not capable of dimming.

Hmmm... your comment makes a lot of sense (should have realized this myself!!)

I had installed these switches quite some time ago and always left it on the back burner to try to resolve the issue. So, I opened the two boxes and see that the load is in the bottom box (with the On/Off switch!) and the line is in the top box. I had the dimmer in the top box whereas based on Larry's comment it should be in the bottom box.

So I changed the switches so that the dimmer is now connected to the load in the bottom box. I have capped the red wires in the top box, with the On/Off switch (was this what you were referring to Stu?).

Now when I turn on the scene it correctly goes to the 60% level and I am able to dim from either switch.

Thanks for the help

Archived