Did I waste $49 on the network package, or is my PLM dying?

phlash73

Hi all....    First of all, I RARELY have posted here, but have read a lot, (usually daily) to get ideas.

I have never found anything about having to change anything if you add the networking pack.

I thought I might be getting advanced enough to use something on it, so I bought it.

However, about the same time I did, MOST of my programs don't work anymore.

Can someone lead me to any post stating that I need to change any of my (OLD) programs, because I bought this?

If not, might my PLM be getting tired?

I use NO scenes, but DID have many programs that ran upon door/window openings, lights / motion sensor, etc.

Some don't work anymore.

Yes, I am running 5.02  UI is also 5.02

And by the way, I bought the networking thingy because I thought I would be able to use the "Network Resource Import" things, as well.

There is no way to do this on my side.

Is this because I updated to 5.2 from an earlier version, and skipped today's (current release)?

----   I THINK I had been using the latest 3.X version, until 5.2 came out....

If anyone can help, feel free.....   As far as I can see, many programs that USED to run is broke, and I wasted $49.

If you think it's my PLM, I'm willing to buy a new one ASAP, but don't wanna spend that money, unless we're sure...

Thanks in advance...

What's the date code and version of your PLM?

If it's more than 2 years old then there's a good possibility that it's starting fail due to bad capacitors.

Run diagnostics, show PLM links table. If the PLM link count is unusually low then most likely the PLM is failing.

Nothing changed when I installed the network module. Some new features were available on the Admin console UI, but aside from that, there was no impact to any scenes, devices, and certainly not to any programs.

So I would suggest that either your troubles are due to the upgrade, or they may stem from PLM problems (which may have only become apparent after the PLM was power-cycled a few times during the upgrade process, perhaps?)

If you can provide some additional information, perhaps we can help debug this a bit. Start with confirming your UI version, and the firmware version on the ISY, then paste the source code for one of the failing programs along with the event log covering the time frame from the event that should have triggered the program through the execution of the program.

Hi guys...  Thanks for the replies.

First my links count shows 0

My PLM is a 2413S V1.B 1403

If Either mean anything to ya'll.

I've kinda narrowed it down to NO door/window sensors respond, even hidden door sensors.

MS doesn't respond either.   8 button KPL only has one button working anymore

(a porch light, which is linked to an insteon toggle switch)

The KPL confuses me the most, 7 of it's 8 buttons are linked to different insteon units,

- and only one works..?

However everything works fine using Mobilink...  Admin console also controls everything fine.

Therefore I might have seemed a bit too harsh for blaming the network gimmick for screwing up my programs.

Can someone confirm this is a bad PLM?

Thanks

You have a PLM manufactured in the 3rd week of 2014 so it may be about the right time for the PS caps to give out.

I guess I would try factory resetting the PLM and then use the PLM restore command and let it rebuild all the links. Of course make sure you have a good backup of the whole ISY before doing anything this radical.

This may fix the issue (temporarily) or make it better but I think I would order a new PLM as a longer term solution making sure you get a version 2.1 or better.

Then I would think about the cap replacement for the old unit as per Brian H posts. if you aren't electronics soldering savy find somebody who is and buy them a case of beer.

OK, thanks again guys..  Factory resetting the PLM did the job, and links table counts to 82 things now, which didn't do anything before.

(my setup prolly ain't as elaborate as ya'lls, yes only 82...)

KPL now works, MS works, I'll test more programs after I post this -

Best part is, I didn't have to "re-teach" every sensor!

However, I already ordered another PLM now, since I guess their life expectancy is only 2 years.

LOL......

UPDATE:

I just received my replacement today, which is a 2.1 :)

However, after resetting my old one, it's been working great again.....

I'm obviously keeping the new one for a backup/spare -

But should I try to reset my old one again, once this happens again?

Or just replace it ASAP?

After the second time it happens, just replace the PLM. I have never had an All On/Off event but ordered a new one. Then the question comes what to do.

If you do not install the new one you could find out it is bad a year down the road when you need it, or worse after the warranty is over.

Switch to the new one and keep my old one as a backup. They bot are tested now. In your case I would rebuild it replacing the caps, as per Brian H. Then I would switch them back after a month or two. Now you will have two tested PLM's you can rely on.

Thanks again for everyone's help.  - Especially the tips to "bandaid" my old one.

Sometime on Sat Night / Sun Morning, it decided to die again.  (Expected).

I replaced it with the new one, restored everything (the battery operated things is a PITA).

However, I have only ONE open/close sensor on a window that is NOT cooperating, out of 10+.

Everything else appears to work fine.  (All switches, outlets, etc (mixed Z-wave & Insteon)

I have tried everything with it. (YES the battery is good)

I tried 'write updates to device', 'restore device', etc, MULTIPLE TIMES.

After multiple beers, I wound up deleting it from ISY, and tried to reinstall it.  NO LUCK.

Any ideas?  Or any link that may help me on this?

Or should I just replace it?

I don't remember which color, at this point.  sorry.

As for resetting them, is it just hold the set button down, WHILE installing the battery?

(IF yes, I've tried that as well - with no luck)

Guess I'll have to buy another one.

BTW, wish I could change the 'header' of this thread....

The network module install didn't mess up my PLM,

Just bad timing.....

Kinda makes me wonder what might happen if I buy the portal module.

(I'm interested in getting it to get an 'echo')

I might blame that for messing something else up...  :)

These are the items I would first review and consider before throwing out the old unit in no specific order.

1. Install and use the latest 994 Series Controller firmware which is 4.4.2 while following ALL the required steps in the update link and ensure you clear the Java Cache while checking off all three box's. Next down load the Admin Console of your choice for the 4.4.2 firmware.

Followed by selecting the Help -> About both the UI & Firmware should match and indicate 4.4.2. If it doesn't you need to follow the update and the steps I indicated above.

Failure to do this will result in very strange one off issues to be seen . . .

2. Hard reset the device for the model year of Open-Close Sensor. Please indicate the hardware production date and revision on the white sticker for the forum members and once you're able to add it back what the ISY indicates as the firmware.

3. Once the device is proven to be hard reset bring the device to the 2413S PLM. Select two whirling colored arrows in the Admin Console and follow the steps outlined by the pop up message.

If that fails to add the device try the other *New Insteon Device* and confirm you're not mistaken a 8 vs B, O vs 0, D vs O etc.

If all of the above fails to let you add back the device perhaps its bad which would be a incredible to see. Then you can ship the broken device to me to play with and I will pay for shipping!

Ha . . . 

I'm about willing to ship it, and the original PLM to you, if you want both...   :)

I'd prolly trade even for a working open/close sensor...

Sticker on the open/close sensor says:

0114 rev 1.9

If that helps anyone.....?

I'm about willing to ship it, and the original PLM to you, if you want both...   :)

I'd prolly trade even for a working open/close sensor...

Sticker on the open/close sensor says:

0114 rev 1.9

If that helps anyone.....?

Is the device less than two years old since you purchased it from Smarthome? If so you're eligible to send it back and receive a replacement unit as its covered under the 2 year warranty period.

Go to the Smarthome site and look up your last few purchases and see if you make the 2 year warranty period. For your personal edification that unit was produced in the first week of 2014 and has a hardware revision of 1.9