ISY-994i to 2477D - Cannot Determine Insteon Engine

espann

Stu, what I did previously to add the keypad was to try to add it under "New Insteon Device", which didn't work after numerous attempts. However, I just tried to add it in by selecting "Link a controlLinc" and this time it DID start writing to the console, but it identified it as a 4 button device and then couldn't communicate at all.

That won't work. A 2477D is not a ControLinc. You can add a device by Insteon ID and have the ISY select the correct device, you can select the device yourself or you can add the device by holding the set button after selecting the Start Linking icon.

Failing doing the steps offered by Stu the tried and true method is to take the switch and wire it into a old lamp cord which you can sacrifice.

I believe everyone should always have such a cord made available as it just works in helping set up and trouble shooting. Essentially all you're going to do is wire the KPL to a old (cut) lamp cord and plug into the same outlet as the PLM.

If you're able to add the device your golden . . .

If however you still can't add the device using the lamp cord and in the same location as the PLM. 

Sadly, it could be the KPL that is bad and if so return it to Smarthome for warranty exchange assuming its under the 2 year coverage period.

Keep us all posted as the outcome good or bad will help others down the road.

That won't work. A 2477D is not a ControLinc. You can add a device by Insteon ID and have the ISY select the correct device, you can select the device yourself or you can add the device by holding the set button after selecting the Start Linking icon.

Ok, Stu, I think your last suggestion did it. At least I was able to get the keypad dimmer recognized in my ISY panel. What I did was to follow your suggestion to add the device by address directly, choosing to not use Auto Discover but to select the device from it's own ID, and finding that on the list. But now when I try to control the lamp attached to it, it turns it ON but when I hit the OFF button in the ISY it says "Cannot communicate with the device. Please check your connections". Now what?

As Teken mentioned... using an extension cord to initially link the keypadlinc with is a great way to prove the device and establish all nodes correctly without the likelihood of interference while doing so.  That said.. you can open Event Viewer to Level 3, operate the buttons then copy to clipboard and paste back trace into message post.

Jon...

What kind of bulb is in the lamp; incandescent, CFL, LED, other? Does the device show a ! or 1011?

The bulb I was using was a dimmable LED that I replaced it with an incandescent. It was showing ! and when I switched the lamp on locally it changed back and is seen. But I still cannot control the lamp from the console, when it turns on and I try to turn it off from the console it returns the error message: "Cannot communicate with the device. Please check your connections".

What kind of bulb is in the lamp; incandescent, CFL, LED, other? Does the device show a ! or 1011?

Ok, after restarting Administrative Console a couple of times, and putting in the incandescent bulbs, the KPL seems to be responding, almost. It does turn on from the Fast On button, and off from the Fast Off button, but does NOT turn on from the On button. I think I may have to investigate if the other appliances this circuit are causing a problem. And I'm still having trouble getting the OutLetLinc Dimmer recognized, and I don't know if I have properly done a factory reset on it since I cant turn off the circuit breaker easily while holding the SET button.

OutletLinc Dimmer? Do you have a button on the KPL controlling the OutletLinc? Is that where the problem is?

No, that's just another problem I'm having with this system. There are no other buttons assigned to KPL. I've been unable to get my OutLetLinc recognized since I set up this new computer.

OK, now it seems like three difficulties, a Keypad, an OutletLinc and a new computer. Consider a hypothetical question, do you want to start with the arm (controller, Keypad), the leg (responder, OutletLinc) or the main appendage (new computer)?

As it is now, you have an indeterminate difficulty.

What is the specific problem? Is it a responder (which one, what's the controller?), a controller (which one, what's the responder?), or both? You can test each separately.

OK, now it seems like three difficulties, a Keypad, an OutletLinc and a new computer. Consider a hypothetical question, do you want to start with the arm (controller, Keypad), the leg (responder, OutletLinc) or the main appendage (new computer)?

As it is now, you have an indeterminate difficulty.

What is the specific problem? Is it a responder (which one, what's the controller?), a controller (which one, what's the responder?), or both? You can test each separately.

Hi Stu, thanks for following this with me. So many dilemmas so little time.. I think its best to start with the Keypad, like I said yesterday It does turn on from the Fast On button, and off from the Fast Off button, but does NOT turn on from the On button. I could maybe live with using the Fast Off button but that is strange, because it might mean that it wouldn't work properly in constructing scenes. The entire system did work for a while after I setup the new computer, so I don't think the computer is the problem. Maybe I haven't set up the controller/responders properly? Button 1 on the keypad does turn of/off fine locally. And just to check whether other loads on the same circuit might be causing noise interference I disconnected the other equipment attached near the KPL and it made no difference, the ON button still does not turn it on from the console.

The OutLetLinc is a problem because I notice now that the lamp plugged into the top outlet does not come on. When I press the set button it begins flashing red, so when I push SET button and wait for blinking green the system says cannot determine Insteon engine. Something of a conundrum I guess..

Proximity is not always an indicator of electric circuits. The only test is to turn everything on in that and adjacent rooms and observe what loses power when the circuit breaker is turned off.

When you indicate Fast On and Off buttons, do you mean from the Admin Console. If so, then what about using the button manually? Is button 1 the On/Off (primary) button pair or button A (secondary)? And the OutletLinc is yet another problem. It may be best to concentrate on one specific problem at a time.

Proximity is not always an indicator of electric circuits. The only test is to turn everything on in that and adjacent rooms and observe what loses power when the circuit breaker is turned off.

When you indicate Fast On and Off buttons, do you mean from the Admin Console. If so, then what about using the button manually? Is button 1 the On/Off (primary) button pair or button A (secondary)? And the OutletLinc is yet another problem. It may be best to concentrate on one specific problem at a time.

Yes I meant from the console, the button on the keypad works, on and off and it dims. And button 1 operates a sconce lamp that it was connected to before I replaced the wall switch with the KPL. And I checked that circuit and there wasn't anything else on it.

I just ordered another OutLetLinc from SmartHome since I could use another one anyway, so I'll worry about that when the new one comes.

If the button works manually but not from the console, then submit a ticket as Michel suggested. Which button is button 1, the On/Off button pair or button A? Also, it seems very unusual that only one switch is on a circuit and nothing else.

If the button works manually but not from the console, then submit a ticket as Michel suggested. Which button is button 1, the On/Off button pair or button A? Also, it seems very unusual that only one switch is on a circuit and nothing else.

Not sure what you mean but the 1st button controls the light sconce. I can press that locally On/Off and it responds. And the buttons on the console work except for the On button. The Fast On and Fast Off and Off work.

I did submit a trouble ticket to Michel.

Not sure what you mean but the 1st button controls the light sconce. I can press that locally On/Off and it responds. And the buttons on the console work except for the On button. The Fast On and Fast Off and Off work.

Try doing a restore device, it's possible your link table is corrupted.

Well I just received a new 8-button KPL, but before I swap that out I have another problem and that is with the motion detectors that were previously working fine few weeks ago but now have a strange icon for the motion detector post-5337-0-00998700-1456876001_thumb.jpg I've changed the batteries, restored the device, any advice for me?

The motion sensor has three modes as shown. But devices that have mutiple controllers usually have a (-) to the left allowing you to group the controllers. This is  a motion sensor ungrouped:

post-625-0-99786700-1456877677_thumb.jpg

Here's a KPL ungrouped (-) and grouped (+):

post-625-0-75464400-1456877438_thumb.jpg

The motion sensor has three modes as shown. But devices that have mutiple controllers usually have a (-) to the left allowing you to group the controllers. This is  a motion sensor ungrouped:

attachicon.gifmotion_sensor.JPG

Here's a KPL ungrouped (-) and grouped (+):

attachicon.gifkeypad.JPG

ok, but how do I get them to respond again? I can't get them to "ungroup" so that they work and respond. Should I delete them and add them back in?

I don't know why grouping is not available for you. Which ISY? which firmware? which UI?

Sorry Stu, I thought I had edited and replied to my previous post. I deleted the bad sensor, then did a restore device and the other motion detector is now responding and is appearing in the console and I can group and ungroup them. Now I'm back to the problem of the lamp comes on with the trigger from the motion detector but doesn't go off as it is supposed to do. I think maybe this is a bulb problem as I used to have incandescent bulbs but replaced them with "energy saver halogen dimmable" bulb! My ISY version is UD994 v.4.3.26(2015-10-13-11:35:11

Archived