ISY Z-Wave Primary to SmartThings to Echo?

Deane Johnson

With my old Z-Wave network created with Leviton RFIT, I simply used SmartThings/Settings/Connected Home/Discover devices.  They immediately appeared on the Alexa list and I could operate Z-Wave lighting with the simple command "Alexa..turn the table lamp off".  No big deal to make it work.  I had previously used the SmartThings mobile app to discover the Z-Wave network.

My new Z-Wave network is created with ISY as Primary.  I have linked ISY to SmartThings. I can't get the same procedure to end up in Echo to work.  Do I need to make SmartThings a Secondary controller, I've forgotten if I had to do that previously.  I can't find a place in the Administrative Console to create Secondary Controllers.  Does such a feature exist?

Love ISY, just learning my way around at this point.

Hi Deane,

How did you link ISY with SmartThings?

Z-Wave Controllers usually have a Learn button. Does SmartThing have one?

Also, if you are using SmartThings only for Echo integration, you can use ISY directly with Echo and have the same features as SmartThings + support for scenes and programs:

http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Main_Page#ISY_Portal.2FAmazon_Echo

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Deane,

How did you link ISY with SmartThings?

Z-Wave Controllers usually have a Learn button. Does SmartThing have one?

Also, if you are using SmartThings only for Echo integration, you can use ISY directly with Echo and have the same features as SmartThings + support for scenes and programs:

http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Main_Page#ISY_Portal.2FAmazon_Echo

With kind regards,

Michel

I didn't find a way to link ISY to SmartThings.  What I did was use the Join An Existing Network feature in the SmartThings App, which apparently didn't work.  I believe I remember doing that with the previous Z-Wave network and it working well, but I may have that wrong.  Memory fails the aged.  I'm capable of overlooking a single step and ruining the process.

Apparently I should proceed with the approach recommended in the Link your provided.  What I want to avoid is any extra verbiage such as required in the Amazon Skill Sets requiring you to say "Alexa, tell ISY to tell . . ."  I did that with Echo talking to CQC and found that Alexa has trouble understanding that many additional words.

I'm using the Insteon Hub with 3 bedroom lamps and the minimal verbiage required gives me almost 100% reliability.  All I have to say is "Alexia, bedroom lights 80%" and it works every time.  No need for adding "turn on the".  Simplicity with Echo is the key to reliability, IMO.

My replacement Z-Wave dimmer for the one that slowed the Z-Wave down is due today.  Once that's installed I can move onto integrating ISY with Echo.  I like to do one thing at a time so when I hit a problem, I know exactly where it occurred.

BTW, I did learn how to create a Secondary Controller with ISY.  I was able to make my Cooper Aspire a Secondary.  Seems to work out well.

I have the Portal running, the UUID information in place, but I get the message that the ISY is not on-line.  I have the URL provided by ISY when I enabled Internet Access, but I can't find any place to enter it in the Portal.

So, how do I get the Portal to stop showing "ISY is not on-line".

EDIT: Holy crap, Batman.  I got it all working.  Once I figured out things by reading through various threads, it turns out the Portal is a nice GUI to work with.

Apparently I should proceed with the approach recommended in the Link your provided. What I want to avoid is any extra verbiage such as required in the Amazon Skill Sets requiring you to say "Alexa, tell ISY to tell . . ." I did that with Echo talking to CQC and found that Alexa has trouble understanding that many additional words.

I'm using the Insteon Hub with 3 bedroom lamps and the minimal verbiage required gives me almost 100% reliability. All I have to say is "Alexia, bedroom lights 80%" and it works every time. No need for adding "turn on the". Simplicity with Echo is the key to reliability, IMO.

ISY Portal has both a 'skill' ("Tell Izzy to...") and a 'Connected Home' ("Alexa, bedroom lights 80%") feature thru the portal (in beta currently). No need for Smart things to get that level of integration. The connected home method is far better than the skill for control of lighting and programs.

Hi Deane Johnson,

When you want another device to join ISY, it should be as simple as Z-Wave | Include. The main question is whether or not SmartThings has a Learn feature that can import all the nodes from ISY.

With kind regards,

Michel

And indeed, that worked perfect for updating my Cooper Aspire as a Secondary.  I no longer need to put it in SmartThings as I now have Portal which works great.

EDIT:  I just tried it with Smart Things and it also worked properly.

Now we just need firmware v5 to support the multi z-wave devices and everything will be perfect :-)

Got my 2x Echos working today (hadn't looked at this stuff since before the brain surgery in Dec)  awesome work!  I did feel dumb asking Izzy this and that and wondering why it didn't work :wink: so much changed in so little time.  It would be great to asks  Amazon to support lock and unlock and status commands.  Like "alexa whats the status of front door lock".

• 3 weeks later...

Newbie question- what does multi-channel support mean?

I'd also like to know the ins and outs of this... Insteon devices like motion sensors, thermostats, keypads, and remotes have nodes that address the different functions of the device.  How does multi-channel differ?

Edit: did a little browsing and found the following...

• The Multi Instance command class was renamed to Multi Channel in version 3. It is used by devices to distinguish between multiple control or reporting end points.

Not sure I understand "multiple control" or "reporting end points" but at least it distinguishes it for me from nodes :)

Jon...

If I understand correctly, multi channel support refers to devices such as the Aeon Labs power strip. The device has several receptacles but only one power cord. As it stands, it is not possible to control individual receptacle outlets on the strip. With multi channel support one could control and program each individual receptacle outlet.

Please, anyone,need free to step in and correct me if I have misled here.

Best,

GT

If I understand correctly, multi channel support refers to devices such as the Aeon Labs power strip. The device has several receptacles but only one power cord. As it stands, it is not possible to control individual receptacle outlets on the strip. With multi channel support one could control and program each individual receptacle outlet.

Please, anyone,need free to step in and correct me if I have misled here.

Best,

GT

You are 100% right.

It also allows you to see data from each channel - so per receptacle power on the strip.

I want it mainly for my fibaro RGB controller....

Hi MWareman,I am even more impatient! I am cautiously optimistic that it will be in days.With kind regards,Michel

If you need any alpha testing, just shout.

Archived