LED degrading over time?

Scottmichaelj

Ok.. so 10 days after contacting Cree my replacement light bulb arrives UPS nicely packaged and all.  However, after opening I discover what I've received is a package which has already been opened for one reason or the other.  Not certain if it's a return item or if a repaired item but the packaging definitively has been opened.  You can see the left side of the plastic covering the bulb.  Anyway.. plugged it in and it works..

attachicon.gifCree Replacement.jpg

Jon...

Jon cant wait to hear what you think of it. I had the daylight 100W version and it flickered in a lamps I had so I was not able to use them. I wonder too if the higher the "equivalent wattage" makes a difference. So 100W equiv flickers more than a 40W equiv.

Jon cant wait to hear what you think of it. I had the daylight 100W version and it flickered in a lamps I had so I was not able to use them. I wonder too if the higher the "equivalent wattage" makes a difference. So 100W equiv flickers more than a 40W equiv.

I've got bunches of Cree and probably a dozen 100w and have had no flicker at all.  The replacement is 100w installed outside and it's on now, no flicker but time will tell :)

Jon...

I have replaced most of the lamps in my house with the Cree LED's from Home Depot and haven't had any problems with any of them. I have mostly 60 watt equiv., but have a few 100 watt as well. I DID try one of the cheaper all plastic Cree lamps and returned it immediately as it didn't play nice with Insteon. The nicer ones with the metal heat sink and glass globe have been perfect. 

What is the energy consumption of this Cree 100 watt bulb? 18 / 25 watts? Also I had to chuckle when I read the fine print about the operational temperature of -25'C - 45+'C.

I wonder how they would fair in -45'C with windchill of -55'C?

Cree has bad reviews on this forum but seem to rank high in other comparisons online.  I think the 18w power draw probably is fair for 100w equivalent but I don't know and as for -55'C I have the impression electronics generally function better in cold weather?

Jon...

Cree has bad reviews on this forum but seem to rank high in other comparisons online.  I think the 18w power draw probably is fair for 100w equivalent but I don't know and as for -55'C I have the impression electronics generally function better in cold weather?

Jon...

I am convinced if all Cree bulb reviews were done after 6 months of ownership nobody would be buying them anymore.

I have a about a dozen CREE bulbs and they were all great at the beginning. I have one dead one, two that flicker badly with dimming, one that doesn't match the rest in the chandelier now (dims on a different curve),  a BR40 bulb$$$ that flick completely out, occasionally, now replaced with another brand., and a another PAR38 that just doesn't work occasionally.

IMHO, CREE bulbs have the same problem the PLMs have, cheap filter capacitors on their power supplies. Works great until the receipt is thrown out. I guess I need to get my ship together and call them.

I buy mostly the cheap brands now and  have no problems but they are always rated "dimmable".

I am convinced if all Cree bulb reviews were done after 6 months of ownership nobody would be buying them anymore.

I have a about a dozen CREE bulbs and they were all great at the beginning. I have one dead one, two that flicker badly with dimming, one that doesn't match the rest in the chandelier now (dims on a different curve),  a BR40 bulb$$$ that flick completely out, occasionally, now replaced with another brand., and a another PAR38 that just doesn't work occasionally.

IMHO, CREE bulbs have the same problem the PLMs have, cheap filter capacitors on their power supplies. Works great until the receipt is thrown out. I guess I need to get my ship together and call them.

I buy mostly the cheap brands now and  have no problems but they are always rated "dimmable".

I've been using various CREE led bulbs for a long time and have never had a problem. I wonder if the bulbs sold in Canada are from a different factory than those sold in the U.S.

I've been using various CREE led bulbs for a long time and have never had a problem. I wonder if the bulbs sold in Canada are from a different factory than those sold in the U.S.

Some of the bulbs were marked made in the USA vs others were in Mexico. Others were not clear about place of origin with the very common made in XXX using global parts etc.

That is very common and doesn't bother me in the least . . .

Like I said way up top lets assume all of the bulbs were installed correctly per the maker. If they still fail then its apparent the hardware is not well designed and sub par components are present. I won't lie to anyone every incandescent bulb I ever removed are all nicely stored in a water proof container.

One day I may need them to keep something warm or to just help debug a Insteon issue. Worse case its actually required because said bulb with some mythical rating of 25 years only lasted one.

Its apparent to me price isn't always reflective of quality either never mind name brand(s). I am of the mindset that you just purchase what ever your local store has and try them out based on your own budget and criteria.

If it works then good for you - if it lasts more than 5 years, even better!

I am hard pressed to call out how many recent purchases I have in my home that have lasted more than 5 years. Everything I owned from the 70 - 90's are still rocking on. Things from the past were just built to last not necessarily designed to be energy efficient like my monster dual mono amps!

LMAO . . .

But then again that wasn't the expectation either . . . 

Same with the girls sometimes.

Sometimes the dimbulbs are cheaper. Some of the brighter ones do cost more.

Some are high maintenance.

I picked up one with the rounder bottoms back in the early 70s and she still lights up well when I throw the stitch.

Teken. Not nice to spit coffee on your keyboard. :)

Archived