You can set up your smart home now - if you're tenacious

Scottmichaelj

It takes a lot more money and effort to build a non-cloud "Smart Home" deployment.     I've got everything except voice control set up so it works just as well without the Internet, but it was not easy nor cheap.

Yeah and with the advent of the "Healthy Home" and many questioning the effects of non-thermal RF exposure you have to wonder which way it's gonna go?

Stuff like that isn't science, but that doesn't mean people won't take it seriously.     When I read a sentence like "Smart Phones are especially noxious because microwave towers use phones that are not powered off as relay devices for their signals, regardless of whether the phone is in use placing or conducting a call", I immediately discount everything else the author says.  That same website also claims "Cells know when to divide by vibrating" and many other such non-scientific statements.

The kind of people with the money to invest in smart home projects are not likely to go out of their way to turn off WiFi because they read in a "Healthy Home" journal that it is bad for them.

It takes a lot more money and effort to build a non-cloud "Smart Home" deployment.     I've got everything except voice control set up so it works just as well without the Internet, but it was not easy nor cheap.

Stuff like that isn't science, but that doesn't mean people won't take it seriously.     When I read a sentence like "Smart Phones are especially noxious because microwave towers use phones that are not powered off as relay devices for their signals, regardless of whether the phone is in use placing or conducting a call", I immediately discount everything else the author says.  That same website also claims "Cells know when to divide by vibrating" and many other such non-scientific statements.

The kind of people with the money to invest in smart home projects are not likely to go out of their way to turn off WiFi because they read in a "Healthy Home" journal that it is bad for them.

Yep... there's definitely an argument going on :)  reminds me of discussions about GMO's and wheat...

Jon...

From the article, "Besides Samsung, Apple, Nest, Amazon and WeMo, there are also smaller systems from the likes of Lowes and Insteon"  

Insteon probably has the most complete product line available!  And I think Lowes Iris is running Z-wave.  It's kind of wonked that this new generation of disconnected "Internet of Things" products is getting so much attention while being completely ignorant of the long time players that you can actually build a full smart home with.

From the article, "Besides Samsung, Apple, Nest, Amazon and WeMo, there are also smaller systems from the likes of Lowes and Insteon"  

Insteon probably has the most complete product line available!  And I think Lowes Iris is running Z-wave.  It's kind of wonked that this new generation of disconnected "Internet of Things" products is getting so much attention while being completely ignorant of the long time players that you can actually build a full smart home with.

I wish there was good 3rd party market ownership reports, but I haven't found any.  It would be really interesting to see how much each technology/manufacturer is selling

Paul

Archived