Honeywell Control via IFTTT/ISY

Scottmichaelj

There has been a lot of questions asked about Honeywell Thermostats and their ability to be controlled via the ISY, so I thought I would take some time to help clear up some questions. To be clear as of this post Honeywell has not released any of the APIs for local control. Many people including myself, have tried tirelessly to get Honeywell even to respond to our emails and phone calls, to no avail. The only solution for now is to use IFTTT via the Honeywell Total Comfort Connect channel. Unfortunately I do not have a list of actual model numbers of thermostats this affects however I do know IFTTT will work with all "Redlink" thermostats, which includes Prestige IAQ, Prestige 2.0, WiFi 9000, RTH9580WF WiFi, VisionPro, VisionPro WiFi, RTH8580WF WiFi, FocusPro WiFi, and the RTH6580WF WiFi. There is a separate Honeywell portal for the Honeywell Lyric which may have APIs released for it later. The Honeywell Lyric looks like it will be another channel in IFTTT. IFTTT also provides access for Honeywell Single Zone Thermostats and the Honeywell evoHome, both separately from the thermostats I have listed. A good rule of thumb is, if your thermostat can be controlled via the My Total Connect webpage or has Redlink you can use IFTTT.

Now I would like to address some of the Pros and Cons of using the Honeywell IFTTT channel to control your thermostat since you cannot directly control it with the ISY.

Pros:

-You can control your thermostat using Amazon Echo and IFTTT

-There is total control of setting the heat and cool points for your thermostats

-You can control multiple thermostats in your system - upstairs, downstairs, basement, etc

-The response time for changes are quick, usually within a minute

Cons:

-Limited Control. There are only 4 options, "Set temperature to permanent hold", "Set temperature for a period of time", "Resume Program Schedule" and "Set fan on or auto"

-You cannot TURN ON or OFF your system. Yes you read that right! The system MUST BE ON before you can control your heat/cool temperature. You also cannot turn your system from Heat to Cool or vise versa. So no going from Heat at 74 to AC to 68.

-No local APIs have been released, so all control is via the Honeywell TCC web portal or via IFTTT

If I get feedback I will add a list of specific thermostats models for others to this post so it's on the first post for people to find. I welcome all feedback and any additional information. The more info we have the better. I hope this helps clear things up a bit on the Honeywell side.

I know IO_GUY has recently teased a screenshot of the ISY and Honeywell data. What I know right now is this integration will be purely a web scrape, and not a 100% solution. It may change at anytime based on if Honeywell makes changes to the site which may break it permanently. I don't even know if IO_GUY will be able to release it so while its fantastic he is working on it I wouldn't consider this a solution over a local API based thermostat over the Venter T7900 or the like. IO_GUY has a great program that works with local APIs for Venstar. So if you live in an area where maybe you rely on the thermostat for making sure your pipes don't freeze I would not suggest using anything that a web scrape or a cloud based thermostats like NEST either as those have negatives as well. There is also the Vera Edge controller with a Honeywell Thermostat plugin available. Please be aware this too uses the Honeywell TCC website and scrapes the data. So again my previous warnings apply.

UPDATE 01/23/16: Honeywell TCC was just added to NodeLink. It requires ISY V5 firmware and currently just sends the data to the ISY, control from the ISY will come in a later release.

http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/17228-nodelink-latest-version-v031/

Resources:

Compatible thermostats and their details can be found via pdf here:

http://www.forwardthinking.honeywell.com/related_links/thermostats/03-00005.pdf

IFTTT Honeywell Total Comfort Connect Channel Screenshot

9db5a4a2d55ff9adb463627cb4a97f98.jpg

Update 01/26/16: Today the Honeywell Total Connect iPhone app was updated. See screenshot for details.

516927d210c327af4af6e0cd7f4b92d5.jpg

• 1 year later...

BUT, you CAN set up a "recipe" for cool and another for heat and run them one after the other and they will both change accordingly.  I have it set up that when I "shut down the house" by Echo and the ISY, it sets the "COOL" temperature to 85 and the "HEAT" temperature to 55.  Both are held at that temp for 12 hours.  It works with the thermostat in either HEAT or COOL or AUTO.  That's the equivalent of shutting off the system to me.  When I return home and I command Echo to "turn on the house", it runs the recipe that returns the thermostat to programmed function.  I can of course turn the thermostat back to programmed function via the smartphone app if I want that to happen before returning home.

All of this seems to run well.  I did find it "beneficial" to insert a 2 second WAIT between the two network events when leaving the house.

Steve

Archived