Question about battery devices after restore - Reload from Backup?

arzoo

I recently did a hard reset on my isy and then restored from backup. After the restore I did a File/Reload Devices (because that's what it said to do). The process ran overnight and the next day all but the motion and leak sensors had been restored. I'd really rather not have to pull down and open every motion sensor (some require a ladder). My question is this, if I were to restore the entire isy from backup (again), could I just leave it without reloading the devices? Thanks for any help with this question.

I recently did a hard reset on my isy and then restored from backup. After the restore I did a File/Reload Devices (because that's what it said to do). The process ran overnight and the next day all but the motion and leak sensors had been restored. I'd really rather not have to pull down and open every motion sensor (some require a ladder). My question is this, if I were to restore the entire isy from backup (again), could I just leave it without reloading the devices? Thanks for any help with this question.

You could - but realize what ever hair is on your head will quickly fall out once you realize half your home doesn't operate as you expect it to.

Life's about measured response and making educated risks in hopes of a positive outcome. I will simply leave you with this to consider. Is doing this chore half aszzed now to save a little time or is it better to know you will be doing this 99999999 more times because nothing works?

Life's about choices and speaking from personal experience - Just invest the time now and enjoy the system knowing it all works as designed and expected.

Why would you do the restore again?

All the leak and motion sensors were in a waiting to write state (1001 icon). By restoring from backup (prior to the Device Reload) the status of these devices returned back to normal. Before trying this I received an confirmation from tech support that it would work - and it did.

Hi arzoo,

stusview is right. You do NOT have to restore the whole backup again. What you need to do is to either put your Motion Sensor in programming mode (or dance in front of it) and then do Right Mouse Click | Restore Device.

With kind regards,

Michel

I was under the impression that the only way to write to the Insteon montion sensors was to open them up and put them in the Set Mode.

Part of my problem was that I could not easily retrieve some of the sensors due to the 24" of snow surrounding my house - digging a path and setting up a ladder would have been a real pain!

I was under the impression that the only way to write to the Insteon montion sensors was to open them up and put them in the Set Mode.

Part of my problem was that I could not easily retrieve some of the sensors due to the 24" of snow surrounding my house - digging a path and setting up a ladder would have been a real pain!

There are two methods when speaking about the MS only. One is of course pressing the set button inside of the unit. The other method is to create a program in the Admin Console that writes updates to the device upon detection of movement.

This feature has been available in HL2 software for ages and most recently UDI has included this feature in the 4.XX branch. It should be noted this remote write update feature does not always work and some trial and error is required.

Meaning some units require a wait period of 0-3 seconds to be included in the program before the MS will accept the remote update. Lastly, some MS units depending upon firmware did not support the remote update upon detection but recall this was in v1.X versions.

So unless you have really old gear all the latest v2.X versions will do this minus the caveat I called out. With respect to the other battery operated devices if a unit has the *Heart Beat* in its firmware you can use this as a trigger to keep the unit awake to also complete the pending writes etc.

It should be noted obviously you will need to wait the 24 hours before it happens and there is also a high likely hood this process will not work.

So you are in the same spot where you have to go and press and hold the set button. But given the two possible solutions this is more than you had before!

Ha . . .

Archived