Amazon Echo - ISY Step by Step

KeithL

I've had the router for three years.  No problems previously.  I have several port forwardings set up,  including my Echo/Sonos integration on port 5005, which is why I thought there may be a conflict. What port does the ISY talk through?

Nothing obvious in the logs.  It looks like when the router went out it was a dns issue, so maybe I'm just being paranoid.

If you didn't have issues with the router prior to installing the portal you open a ticket with UDI tech support and see if they can help

Jon...

Got it!  It was the My Preferred ISY setting under My Profile in the ISY Portal.  I must not have saved it when I linked the ISY during the original setup.  I selected my ISY from the drop down, saved the settings, and everything was found during the next device discovery.  It was actually the help text in the My Profile dialog that clued me in to set and save that setting.  Go figure.  Thanks to everyone for your help.  Now it's time to play.

Is there a way to skip the "use izzy" command to get Echo working with the ISY?

It works perfectly but it goes:

1. Alexa

2. Use Izzy

3. Echo says blah blah blah

4. Alexa

5. Turn kitchen lights off

Is there a way to just enable it so if i say turn kitchen lights off it will just do it? 

Is there a way to skip the "use izzy" command to get Echo working with the ISY?

It works perfectly but it goes:

1. Alexa

2. Use Izzy

3. Echo says blah blah blah

4. Alexa

5. Turn kitchen lights off

Is there a way to just enable it so if i say turn kitchen lights off it will just do it? 

You're using the ISY Skill.  Configure for Connected Home and you can simply say Alexa kitchen lights off.

Jon...

Is there a way for me to remove the Mobilinc portal so that I can install the Amazon Echo? The Universal Device office is closed and I hate to have to wait all weekend until Monday to get this done.

See my reply to your duplicate post.

Hi,

I am having trouble with the Echo discovering my devices.  I have followed all the steps and I have added 1 device and 1 scene to my.iso.io portal.  They show up in the Spoken Nodes & scene box, but when I go to the Discover Devices feature in the Echo nothing is discovered.  

Any suggestions?

PS: Does the Moblinc Connect need to be deactivate for the device discovery to work?

Edited by Grayson

Now that I have the basic functions for the Echo working....devices & scenes on/off I'd like to know if anyone has gotten the following to work?

- Open/Close garage doors - The issue I have here is that with the IOLinc I have the garage doors only open/close when the Relay switch is in the off position.  So after opening/closing the door the relay is "On" and I need to "Turn it off" before I can open/close the door.  This is easily solved with a program, but if I understand the way the Echo processes programs "On" runs the If statement and "Off" runs the Else.  Has anyone gotten this to work?

- Can you ask Alexa the status of a device?  I'd like to know the status of a light on another floor by asking Alexa.

Thanks!

Edited by Grayson

Now that I have the basic functions for the Echo working....devices & scenes on/off I'd like to know if anyone has gotten the following to work?

- Open/Close garage doors - The issue I have here is that with the IOLinc I have the garage doors only open/close when the Relay switch is in the off position.  So after opening/closing the door the relay is "On" and I need to "Turn it off" before I can open/close the door.  This is easily solved with a program, but if I understand the way the Echo processes programs "On" runs the If statement and "Off" runs the Else.  Has anyone gotten this to work?

- Can you ask Alexa the status of a device?  I'd like to know the status of a light on another floor by asking Alexa.

Thanks!

On runs Then and Off runs Else. You need to tell Alexa to ask Izzy to run a program if you want to execute the If.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit late to the party but wanted to share my experience migrating through the isy portal to Echo.

I followed the step-by-step Keith posted as well as referring to the Wiki. I showed being linked to my Amazon account and thought I had everything done, but Alexa wouldn't discover. Michel showed me that I might have to back out and re-link and sure enough, she discovered every device on a subsequent try.

The spoken took some testing and mods to get right, but we have experienced a 99.5% success rate with spoken since testing and mods. The WAF is extremely high right now and I have achieved go ahead for further expenditures on the HA path. (Or Yellow Brick Road, as she used to call it)

I can report that in my 2800 sq. ft. Home and with Echo sitting on the kitchen island,

I can be in the upstairs hallway and ask Alexa to turn on that hallway light, and she hears and acts. The light is on before I've finished saying hallway. Granted with the house quiet, which is fairly normal for around here.

I am 100% Zwave, so I shall next integrate a few Insteon items simply because I cannot source an equivalent Zwave device. After that, if successful, I will pursue energy monitoring.

This success is 100% due to the professional and steady development of ISY and The Portal by UDI and specifically Michel Kohanim and his band of mad engineers.

Bravo and well done gentlemen! We wish you much continuing success and for isy to soon be #1 in the HA market.

GT

Edited by Guitartexan01
  • Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Hello Keith

Thanks for sharing!

Im new on this so I if you please help me out if this is the right module I need to buy

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002IKKF0A/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1463808264&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=monster+power+net+300

or any special suggestions

And do you recomend this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MDVW7HS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1463779503&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=isy994i&dpPl=1&dpID=41e-kY6bZ7L&ref=plSrch

Thanks!

Hi Michael

Thanks for you quick response, so far I have Philips Hue, Samsung SmartThings hub and a Pioneer Elite Reciver SC-87, and Amazon Echo, my first project that I try to achieve is voice control from Alexa to reciver, could you please be so kind and recomend me a proper device?

Thanks again for your help!

J

Hi Jonstoloyu,

Echo should work with your SmartThings. Unfortunately ISY does not natively support Philips Hue. If you ever decide to use Z-Wave, INSTEON, or X10 devices, then ISY will be able to also control or Pioneer Receiver. Otherwise, I do not think ISY is the right product for you.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Michel:

Im not worry about Philips Hue, i found a complete guide in this forum on how to control the reciver with Echo, so thats my first project, then I will add trrmostates and other devices, so could you recomend me the right module?

Thanks in advance!

J

• Like 1

Hi Jonstoloyu,

Got it. I would start with the cheapest model (ISY994i). This said, once you get the unit, please do let us know so that we can install the firmware that does NOT require the PLM.

In addition, you will need ISY Portal which does come with the Network Module (allows you to communicate with the receiver). Once you have both, you can use Echo to control your receiver through programs.

With kind regards,

Michel

• 1 month later...

Everything runs smoothly until I get to the device discovery section.  The Echo cannot find my ISY.

The only strange behaviour I have observed is in the ISY Portal (which does currently show my Echo as linked), when I navigate to the page that shows "Spoken Nodes and Scenes", I immediately get a popup stating "DataTables warning: table id=spokennodestable - Requested unknown parameter 'category' for row 0. For more information about this error, please see http://datatables.net/tn/4".

I went to the site referenced but wasn't able to determine what was wrong or how to fix anything.