ISY portal with Moblinc and http while within home wifi

hart2hart

When using ISY portal, can you configure lighting controller in Moblinc to still use auto setting so local wifi using http is preferred at home to keep great in home performance.

You can setup an additional profile in Mobilinc for local config but portal configuration doesn't allow it.

Jon...

Here are config setting for mobilinc...

Host Type = ISY

User Name = Portal Username (email address)

Password = Portal Login Password

Local http://= blank

Local Port = 80

Secure https:// = my.isy.io

Secure Port = 443

Connection Method = Secure Connection

Jon...

Do you still need a second profile or does this cover both local on wifi and roaming through portal?  If two profiles, can profile selection be automated?

Hi Scott,

The portal profile will work both at home on your local wifi and externally, however the local wifi will be noticibly slower compared to directly accessing on wifi. I am not aware of a way to have MobiLinc automatically change profiles.

~Mike

I currently have MobiLinc Connect (30 day trial) but it sounds like if I switch to ISY Portal that the local Wifi performance will be slower?

MobiLinc Connect on local home wifi = non-secure?  Local / direct connection?

MobiLinc Connect on outside/external connection = secure?

ISY Portal on local home wifi = secure? NO local / direct connection?

ISY Portal on outside/external connection = secure?

I have a very secure Sophos firewall, and with just opening the ports in my firewall, performance is good.  But its noticeably faster connecting using MobiLinc Connect (local Wifi for sure).

So my question is, is I don't own an Echo yet, and I want the best performance... stick with MobiLinc Connect???

I currently have MobiLinc Connect (30 day trial) but it sounds like if I switch to ISY Portal that the local Wifi performance will be slower?

MobiLinc Connect on local home wifi = non-secure?  Local / direct connection?

I have a very secure Sophos firewall, and with just opening the ports in my firewall, performance is good.  But its noticeably faster connecting using MobiLinc Connect (local Wifi for sure).

So my question is, is I don't own an Echo yet, and I want the best performance... stick with MobiLinc Connect???

I understand that network resources will be integrated in the portal shortly and I'm sure if it will be offered stand alone.. That said... Android users don't lose anything moving to the portal but iPhone users lose notifications.. If you're an Android user by sticking with MC the only thing your losing is network resources and everything else the portal offers :)

Jon...

MobiLinc Connect on local home wifi = non-secure? Local / direct connection?

With either Mobilinc Connect or ISY Portal, the modes are identical. There is no difference.

You can locally and directly connect to ISY with both via HTTP, and if you install a local SSL certificate you can connect locally with a secure HTTPS connection. Even if you have enabled the ISY Portal. Not sure where the misinformation is coming from that claims otherwise.

However with both the Portal and Connect you must create two profiles in Mobilinc if you wish to use both (local and Portal/connect) each with their own connection settings - and manually switch between them based on your location.

Ok so if I want Portal instead of MobiLinc Connect, I will lose Geofencing and notifications (boundary crossing)??  Those two are very important to me.  The speed at which MobiLinc Connect connects also seems better than my Dynamic DNS service I use.

Also my question is... any time frame when ISY Portal will gain the features of MobiLinc Connect?  I'd rather not pay for two of them and have two profiles.

Ok so if I want Portal instead of MobiLinc Connect, I will lose Geofencing and notifications (boundary crossing)??  Those two are very important to me.  The speed at which MobiLinc Connect connects also seems better than my Dynamic DNS service I use.

Also my question is... any time frame when ISY Portal will gain the features of MobiLinc Connect?  I'd rather not pay for two of them and have two profiles.

any time frame when ISY Portal will gain the features of MobiLinc Connect?  <<-- Benoit seems to be the principle developer and I know he's aware but AFAIK UDI hasn't indicated if or when.

I'd rather not pay for two of them and have two profiles. <<-- At this time use of only one portal is possible

Jon...

Hi Memphis,

If you have a DynDNS address set up, you don't need Mobilinc Connect for Geofence notifications, and you don't want Mobilinc to go through the ISY Portal. Just point your ML at the DynDNS, and don't use any portal settings. Set Mobilinc to send Geofence Notifications and it should work. My setup includes Mobilinc, ISY Portal, DynDNS, and Echo (Connected Home, not Skills). Everything plays well together.

I paid for the discounted DynDNS five-year subscription, so I'm not in a hurry to scrap it.

Although I don't need to use it, here's my "Geofence Coming and Going Program. If you can't get the native ML notifications to work, you can try it:

• If
  •         $Bobs_iPhone_Geofence is 0
  • Then
  •         Send Notification to 'Bob Text' content 'Left Home'
  • Else
  •         Send Notification to 'Bob Text' content 'Arrived Home'

Hi jerlands,

Since we are not yet making on our app, the main question is whether or not MobiLinc would be able to work with ISY Portal. As such, I will have to leave this to Wes at MobiLinc.

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks for the update...

Jon...

Hi jerlands,

Since we are not yet making on our app, the main question is whether or not MobiLinc would be able to work with ISY Portal. As such, I will have to leave this to Wes at MobiLinc.

With kind regards,

Michel

Forgot to ask...

Since we are not yet making on our app <<-- does that indicate something :)

Jon...

I purchased ISY Portal yesterday and have gone through extensive testing and research using these forums.

I have used used MobiLinc for a few years now, including Geofence for each of our family members.

I did not cancel Mobilinc until I have fully tried ISY Portal.  My reason for trying Portal was to get the Amazon Echo to work with my ISY-994i as well as IFTTT (If This Then That).

While I was able to get IFTTT working (pretty cool actually),

Based on my testing thus far, I find that ISY Portal is lacking the following:

• MobiLinc App can be configured to work over ISY Portal, but it must go through the portal website which means you are communicating "external" even when your are home on your WiFi.  So speed and performance lag as opposed to MobiLinc Connect which allows it to connect to your ISY locally for best speed.  The workaround is to set up 2 profiles in MobiLinc, one for local (direct connect) and one for away (ISY Portal) but this is inconvenient and quite frankly unacceptable.
  • Can no longer setup up multiple profiles for additional ISY's in MobiLinc, unless you set up different ISY Portal accounts for each.  The Portal has to designate only one ISY as primary so when you log in it knows which UUID to sync with MobiLinc.  Again, unacceptable.
  • There is no other App that I am aware of for iOS or Android that works with the ISY other than MobiLinc, eKeypad, and Intellihome.  None have been made to work fluently with ISY Portal (yet).
  • Geofence variables can no longer be created or deleted under Location Settings in MobiLinc, when setup to work with ISY Portal.  You are now required to use IFTTT for Geofencing (creating recipes for home and away triggers).  And if you have more than one family member that uses this with your ISY?  You have to create 4 different accounts in IFTTT to work with each of their phones.
  • Setup with ISY Portal to work with your ISY is not as simple and convenient as it was to subscribe to MobiLinc.  You have to go between email, the ISY Portal website, and Admin Console to juggle all of the setup and approval requirements.  The nice thing that Apple gets is making things simple for everyone to do.

UD should have focused on creating a native App for their ISY first, then creating ISY Portal to work seamlessly with that App, taking advantage of all the Geofence, Echo, and IFTTT features available.  It doesn't look like UD thought this through.  Until then I might be asking for a refund until ISY Portal finds a way to improve the user experience.

Tony

I purchased ISY Portal yesterday and have gone through extensive testing and research using these forums.

I have used used MobiLinc for a few years now, including Geofence for each of our family members.

I did not cancel Mobilinc until I have fully tried ISY Portal.  My reason for trying Portal was to get the Amazon Echo to work with my ISY-994i as well as IFTTT (If This Then That).

While I was able to get IFTTT working (pretty cool actually),

Based on my testing thus far, I find that ISY Portal is lacking the following:

• MobiLinc App can be configured to work over ISY Portal, but it must go through the portal website which means you are communicating "external" even when your are home on your WiFi.  So speed and performance lag as opposed to MobiLinc Connect which allows it to connect to your ISY locally for best speed.  The workaround is to set up 2 profiles in MobiLinc, one for local (direct connect) and one for away (ISY Portal) but this is inconvenient and quite frankly unacceptable.
  • Can no longer setup up multiple profiles for additional ISY's in MobiLinc, unless you set up different ISY Portal accounts for each.  The Portal has to designate only one ISY as primary so when you log in it knows which UUID to sync with MobiLinc.  Again, unacceptable.
  • There is no other App that I am aware of for iOS or Android that works with the ISY other than MobiLinc, eKeypad, and Intellihome.  None have been made to work fluently with ISY Portal (yet).
  • Geofence variables can no longer be created or deleted under Location Settings in MobiLinc, when setup to work with ISY Portal.  You are now required to use IFTTT for Geofencing (creating recipes for home and away triggers).  And if you have more than one family member that uses this with your ISY?  You have to create 4 different accounts in IFTTT to work with each of their phones.
  • Setup with ISY Portal to work with your ISY is not as simple and convenient as it was to subscribe to MobiLinc.  You have to go between email, the ISY Portal website, and Admin Console to juggle all of the setup and approval requirements.  The nice thing that Apple gets is making things simple for everyone to do.

UD should have focused on creating a native App for their ISY first, then creating ISY Portal to work seamlessly with that App, taking advantage of all the Geofence, Echo, and IFTTT features available.  It doesn't look like UD thought this through.  Until then I might be asking for a refund until ISY Portal finds a way to improve the user experience.

Tony

Thanks Tony,

That was really what I was looking forward to hearing.  I will stick with MobiLinc Connect and just pay the $30/yr (skip the lifetime) and continue to monitor as Portal evolves.  IFTTT and Echo aren't deal breakers yet, but having Echo's around the house would be slick.

UD I'm sure is listening and hoping to see better integration with MobiLinc app (iOS) & ISY Portal will sell it.

Thanks Tony,

That was really what I was looking forward to hearing.  I will stick with MobiLinc Connect and just pay the $30/yr (skip the lifetime) and continue to monitor as Portal evolves.  IFTTT and Echo aren't deal breakers yet, but having Echo's around the house would be slick.

UD I'm sure is listening and hoping to see better integration with MobiLinc app (iOS) & ISY Portal will sell it.

I personally don't use Mobilinc at home, only when away but Network Resources is a valuable tool which is a very much a plus for the Portal.

Jon...

Jon -

I think with MobiLinc you can still have the Network Resources module separately.  It was only when you purchase Portal that the separate Network module goes away because it is already incorporated into Portal.

Tony

Jon -

I think with MobiLinc you can still have the Network Resources module separately.  It was only when you purchase Portal that the separate Network module goes away because it is already incorporated into Portal.

Tony

That's true but what I've experienced with UDI is they're very responsive to issues and I see Mobilinc not automatically connecting to WiFi using the Portal an issue :)

Jon...

Archived