ISY Russound Help Needed

majorlance

I just received my ISY and successfully set it up and the networking module.  I am controlling a CAV 6.6 using a StarTech.com 1-Port RS232 Serial over IP Ethernet Device Server.  

I have it setup per the instructions in the wiki and can get the ISY to successfully issue an On or Off command for any of the zones.  (I also figured out how to send other commands and developed a spreadsheet to compute the checksums).  Any one command works when I send it, including the basic on or off zone command.

However, when I try to submit multiple commands to the Russound (such as turn on zone 1, turn on zone 2, turn on zone 3), only the first command is completed.  I have to wait a minute or so (or make a change on the keypad such as turning up the volume) before I can issue any other command, including a single command like on or off.

Does anyone have any ideas or solutions for this issue?

It's got me stumped.

Best-

Lee

I'll check it again tonight to see if I can identify a pattern. So far, sending it multiple on commands for different zones, or sending an on command and then a "play favorite F1" from a program (executing the then portion of the program from the right click) fail. I even tried inserting a wait 5 seconds command between actions in the programming statement didn't make a difference.

Lee

Just checked a simple script.  I can turn on and off the family room zone.  I can turn on and then off the kitchen zone.  I then created a program that turns on the family room and then turns on the kitchen.  The first item in the program (family room) will turn on but not the kitchen.  Re-ordered them and the kitchen (now first) turns on but not the family room.

I'm stumped...

This is pretty frustrating... I tried turning on flow control with Xon/Xoff and then none.  Didn't make a difference.

Are  there any whole house audio systems whose control is less kludgy and more reliable than my CAV 6.6?  I also have a couple of Sonos in my house but the setup for these looked more cumbersome using Security Spy, etc.  My wife keeps turning on the Amazon Echo to play Pandora and it's playing through this tiny speaker... Not that it's that hard to turn on our whole house system but it's frustrating that I can't take advantage of the new Echo to ISY integration to basically play a little music.  (I have the lights working properly through the Echo integration - love it.)

Any help is appreciated...

Lee

A little more experimentation... I am getting a failure to connect when I issue the second command.  I've just ordered a GC-100 and will substitute it for the Startech.  My current thought is that the Startech may be the issue...  But I'm not certain what parameter on it should be changed.  It's odd that it accepts the first command (or two commands if they are in one network resource) but if I send one, then the next, it chokes. 

Final report- the GC-100 did the trick.  Odd thing was/is, I changed the port address (I had left the static IP the same after removing my old Startech and adding the new GC-100) to the default 4999 used on the GC-100.  I continued to received Device Not Responding errors.  I then changed the port to 5000 (which is the second serial port on the GC-100) and I didn't receive any errors.  Switched the port back to 4999 and the Russound CAV 6.6 responded and I received no Device not responding errors.  I'm not certain why I saw this behavior (feels like an ISY issue) but all is well now!

I did write a spreadsheet that will calculate the checksums for the various CAV commands and format the hex commands to decimal, separated but colons (as the ISY requires).  Which helped to greatly simplify adding additional commands (like favorite 1, favorite 2, source input, number 0 - 9, input, etc.).  

My thanks to those before me that took the time to document their approach!

My next steps are to write the programs and then link the Russound to the Amazon Echo we have via the ISY.  

Finally, I want to link my Sonos system.  Although the Russound CAV 6.6 is old and has since been replaced by Russound, I do wish there was a module (link the ELK M1 Gold solution) for the Sonos available for purchase from ISY.  Using Security Spy, etc. to discover and add the appropriate commands looks laborious...

Cheers!

Lee 

• 5 months later...

Is there a way to upload the full set of Russound network resources for the CAV/CAM for the wiki?  I added all the volume, mute, and source commands if someone needs them in the future.  I also have a spreadsheet similar to majorlance's for converting the hex commands for the ISY that people could potentially find useful in the future for other Russound commands.

I found that the Russound commands found in version 1.00.07 of the Russound documentation work...earlier versions did not.

Archived