Release 2.6.13 beta is now available

Michel Kohanim

I have a KPL Relay v1.0 that I have changed from 6 button mode to 8 button mode (removed from ISY, factory reset, restart pressing A&H buttons) and then did a start linking procedure. However when it comes up it is always in 6 button mode. Is there any way to get the KPL Relay to show up as 8 buttons in ISY?

Hi dss,

Do you now have 8 independent buttons on your KPL?

ISY reads a flag in the KPL itself to figure out how many buttons it has. So, there are 3 possibilities:

1. The factory reset did not work

2. This KPL does not support 8 buttons

3. Defective switch

With kind regards,

Michel

I have a KPL Relay v1.0 that I have changed from 6 button mode to 8 button mode (removed from ISY, factory reset, restart pressing A&H buttons) and then did a start linking procedure. However when it comes up it is always in 6 button mode. Is there any way to get the KPL Relay to show up as 8 buttons in ISY?

Hi dss,

ISY reads a flag in the KPL itself to figure out how many buttons it has. So, there are 3 possibilities:

3. Defective switch

With kind regards,

Michel

I manually changed it to 8 button mode and put an 8 button button plate on it. When you press the A button only that one lights in the upper left corner in toggle mode and not the A&B as would in 6 button mode. Instead of "Start Linking" I tried "New Insteon Device" and noticed that there isn't a model number for an 8 button Relay. Actually Smarthome doesn't appear to sell an 8 button relay, you have to but a 6 button one and chant it and the faceplate. I wonder if that has something to do with it?

Hi,

It's really odd because we do check to see how many buttons does a relay report as supporting.

So, do you have 2486S? If so, would you be kind enough to let me know what ISY reports? Click on one of the nodes for this KPL, at the top you see name, version, and some numbers. Please provide me with all.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi dss,

3. Defective switch

With kind regards,

Michel

I manually changed it to 8 button mode and put an 8 button button plate on it. When you press the A button only that one lights in the upper left corner in toggle mode and not the A&B as would in 6 button mode. Instead of "Start Linking" I tried "New Insteon Device" and noticed that there isn't a model number for an 8 button Relay. Actually Smarthome doesn't appear to sell an 8 button relay, you have to but a 6 button one and chant it and the faceplate. I wonder if that has something to do with it?

Hi dss,

3. Defective switch

With kind regards,

Michel

Yes, I believe you are correct that one must buy a six-button KPL and an eight-button conversion kit; that is what I did.

Here I have several KPL Relays in eight-button mode, working fine with ISY on 2.6.13; I don't recall which firmware version was running when I added them to ISY.

They are all 2486SWH6 manually factory reset and set to eight-button mode with ivory eight-button change kit before linking (reported by ISY as 2486S/WH6), v1.0 (version) reported by ISY as v.31 (firmware).

dss, would you try removing the KPL, quitting the Administration Console, restarting the Console and then adding back the changed KPL?

Rand

Okay tried that, still comes up in 6 button mode. It displays 2486s/WH6 v.31 at the top of the ISY. Sticker says v1.0 0459, and 2486S 0810.

So I reverted back to firmware 2.6.8 and tried again. Came up with 8 buttons! Seems like problem must have come up somewhere between v2.6.8 and 2.6.13.

Hi dss,

I see the issue ... we are trying to use i2 and, in all likelihood, it failed. The next release should fix this issue.

Thanks so very much,

With kind regards,

Michel

dss, would you try removing the KPL, quitting the Administration Console, restarting the Console and then adding back the changed KPL?

Rand

Okay tried that, still comes up in 6 button mode. It displays 2486s/WH6 v.31 at the top of the ISY. Sticker says v1.0 0459, and 2486S 0810.

So I reverted back to firmware 2.6.8 and tried again. Came up with 8 buttons! Seems like problem must have come up somewhere between v2.6.8 and 2.6.13.

FWIW Tonight I went to backup my ISY fw2.6.13 to downgrade back to fw2.6.7 to see if that would fix my communication, program and scene issues however it failed due to "could not retrieve the configuration file /config/82.und" - once you hit ok then it says "failed to backup" - Any ideas? Maybe this is why I am having issues? :?

Well after downgrading my firmware and then upgrading back I have found that its my v35 (v4.0 Smarthome) Switchlincs that are not working properly in scenes. I can communicate with them all fine by using the ISY, selecting the switch under "My Lighting" and then on/off work fine. I can query them as well with no problems. I can even add them to scenes in the ISY however they are just unreliable. I have one scene with about 10 devices in it and I have tried numerous times and cant get the scene to turn on properly. I have not done it the old fashion way with manual scenes and to be honest I wasnt good at that anyway that's why I have an ISY! I am not sure if this is an ISY issue with firmware now using the newest Smarthome 4.0 switchlincs.

I have not done it the old fashion way with manual scenes and to be honest I wasnt good at that anyway that's why I have an ISY! I am not sure if this is an ISY issue with firmware now using the newest Smarthome 4.0 switchlincs.

By the time I bought my third LampLinc I bought a PLC and wrote my own software to create links because of how awkward it was to press the set buttons :?

Threw that all away as soon as I had the ISY for a day 8)

I have seen quite a few posts about the v4.x switches.

Rand

FWIW Tonight I went to backup my ISY fw2.6.13 to downgrade back to fw2.6.7 to see if that would fix my communication, program and scene issues however it failed due to "could not retrieve the configuration file /config/82.und" - once you hit ok then it says "failed to backup" - Any ideas? Maybe this is why I am having issues? :?

Do you have a backup from when you were using 2.6.7?

Well after downgrading my firmware and then upgrading back I have found that its my v35 (v4.0 Smarthome) Switchlincs that are not working properly in scenes.

Are you saying they worked with 2.6.7?

Rand

Michel,

I tried removing the battery from the motion sensor, no success. The ISY remained in same error situation.

INSTEON Device Control Value Time User Log Type

0 0 Thu 01/22/2009 07:41:57 AM System -2

Burak

Hi burakk,

Do you have any motion sensors? The next time this happens, please do be kind enough to take the battery out of all your motion sensors and let me know if it helps.

With kind regards,

Michel

I'm having a new problem now. I had previously suspected it was related to my problem PLM, but it still is happening even though I have a new PLM...

The ISY goes in to a cycle, where the even viewer and the telnet both show:

Logger: -2 : n=[null] c=[null] a=[null]

Any ideas?

The RX light remains on when the ISY is in this cycle. If I disconnect from PLM and reconnect, upon restart ISY goes back to normal. Same if I powercycle the PLM.

Burak

Michel,

I know that you are saving up the UI issues for last, but here is another one for you ongoing list.

In the configuration screen of the AC when I have the window sized less than my full 1920 * 1200 the add button for email addresses can get cut off... quite nicely I might add. The field where you then put in your address re-centers itself under the Notifications Settings list leaving no hint the the existence of said button.

I spent several hours trying to set up notifications to no avail without the existence of that button. In fact I had composed a lengthy forum post looking for help. Before submitting the post, I had the idea to maximize my AC window, as all the research I had done on the forum and Wiki kept talking about this "Add" button that I could not find! Well of course there it was when I used my full screen resolution.

I know that this post exposes me as a bit of a novice user, but as I have said before, I think it is important to keep the novice users perspective as that is by far the broader market. If I could get this confused, I am sure others in the future will experience the same thing.

Sub - no it was a tad bit better using the older firmware but it still didn't work reliably on any firmware so far. I actually replaced my PLM and removed all the scenes and started new (which took me hours) and no changes. I have a couple stubborn 4.0 ones too that wont work in scenes at all and some that intermittently work. I tried i1 commands only with no success either.

If I am not mistaken are scenes still done via X10 commands? I noticed when I added a access point past 4 my X10 fireplace Universal Module PUM01 doesn't work - unplug the access point and it works again. I am now wondering if this maybe the issue with my scenes? Its strange though I can communicate, query and control the switchlincs in the ISY but the scenes wont work.

This is what I have determined. The problem with control seems to be around scenes and it's repeatable with the same device. I'll have one device not controllable from a scene. I'll tried to turn if off from the scene and it won't go off multiple times. If I go right to the device in the UI and turn it off it will work. What's then strange if I then go back to the scene and turn it on and off it works from the scene like it's supposed to. It's like when you control it directly it fixes or resets something. I've done the I1 restore and using I1 exclusively and that doesn't seem to do it and these problems move around. I'll have scenes work consistantly many times and then start doing it until I do a restore and switch it on and off directly at the device level in the UI. The devices I'm having problems with have been in place almost since then started Insteon and only started doing this at some point in the 2.6 firmware development process.

Michel,

I tried removing the battery from the motion sensor, no success. The ISY remained in same error situation.

Burak

Michel believes they have located this bug!

Thank you for your patience,

Rand

Michel,

Burak

Michel believes they have located this bug!

Thank you for your patience,

Rand

So is it a bug in the ISY or Smarthome hardware? You quoted Burak's statement, as it discusses motion sensors - so its not clear if Michel found a bug for Burak or found a bug that we are all seeing with scenes. Can you clarify? Michel can you confirm?

Sub - no it was a tad bit better using the older firmware but it still didn't work reliably on any firmware so far. I actually replaced my PLM and removed all the scenes and started new (which took me hours) and no changes. I have a couple stubborn 4.0 ones too that wont work in scenes at all and some that intermittently work. I tried i1 commands only with no success either.

If I am not mistaken are scenes still done via X10 commands? I noticed when I added a access point past 4 my X10 fireplace Universal Module PUM01 doesn't work - unplug the access point and it works again. I am now wondering if this maybe the issue with my scenes? Its strange though I can communicate, query and control the switchlincs in the ISY but the scenes wont work.

No, X10 is not used for scenes. It could be that Access Points absorb X10 signals.

We are still hoping for 2.6.14 very soon which should solve almost all i2 problems.

Rand

huddadudda, it is this bug they found, and fixed. They have also detected a bug with the Motion Sensor and are still working on that.

Hopefully the scenes will also be fixed, but that is another issue.

Rand

I'm having a new problem now. I had previously suspected it was related to my problem PLM, but it still is happening even though I have a new PLM...

The ISY goes in to a cycle, where the even viewer and the telnet both show:

Logger: -2 : n=[null] c=[null] a=[null]

Any ideas?

The RX light remains on when the ISY is in this cycle. If I disconnect from PLM and reconnect, upon restart ISY goes back to normal. Same if I powercycle the PLM.

Burak

huddadudda, it is this bug they found, and fixed. They have also detected a bug with the Motion Sensor and are still working on that.

Rand

Maybe its just me but your answer is still confusing as in one sentence you are say that there is a bug that was found and fixed but in another you say scenes being fix is another issue. The question is, the people like me who are having issues with scenes and v4.0 switchlincs is the new firmware 2.6.14 supposed to fix things? Simple yes or no.

Rand

Maybe its just me but your answer is still confusing as in one sentence you are say that there is a bug that was found and fixed but in another you say scenes being fix is another issue. The question is, the people like me who are having issues with scenes and v4.0 switchlincs is the new firmware 2.6.14 supposed to fix things? Simple yes or no.

How about a maybe :)

We hope so. We believe the new firmware will certainly be improved but it will, of course, require more testing to see if it fixes scenes with v4.x SwitchLincs.

Rand

Archived